Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkPandaX

Doomsday Projects

Hello, once again.

I want to make WADs for Doomsday. It has wonderful capabilities. I desire its full power in order to make extremely impressive TCs. Unfortunately, this power is not easily grasped ahold of, and thus my desires for cool WADs sort of flails in the mud and don't get anywhere. I was wondering if anyone could either give me information I need right here, or if someone could point me out to either a web page or a Doomworld forum topic that covers the various areas of difficulty.

Here are some of the problems I have:
1) Doomsday claims to support PNG files. This would be great, because then I wouldn't have to work with the DooM palette and I could use whatever colors I want. Unfortunately, everything I try fails. It would be great if I could learn the exact method for using PNGs in my Doomsday WADs.

2) Doomsday claims to support MP3s and OGG. Various attempts in using wither have produced varying results, all of which involved failure. Either I'm doing it wrong, or there's something fishy going on here.

Those are the most pressing concerns, right now. I have looked all over the internet for answers, but everything I have read falls short of answering my woes. If anyone has info that can solve my problems, kindly point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

-C

At the risk of sounding like a favoritist, GZDoom has all those features and more, plus usable 3D floors and a more comprehensive monster coding system (Decorate).

From my experience, Doomsday aint that great for modding with those features. I believe, if you want to use all those features, that GZDoom is your answer.

Queue in bashing.....now.

For some impressive mods for Doomsday - although I think most, if not all, have now been converted to Risen3D - check out stuff by Sitters

http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/

If, however, the features you mentioned are the ones that are most important to you, I too would recommend GZdoom. It can do everything you are asking about (and more besides) and has a wider user base (so, more people to play your mod) and would probably have more people able to support/help you with any queries you might have along the way.

Steeveeo said:

At the risk of sounding like a favoritist, GZDoom has all those features and more, plus usable 3D floors and a more comprehensive monster coding system (Decorate).

From my experience, Doomsday aint that great for modding with those features. I believe, if you want to use all those features, that GZDoom is your answer.

Enjay said:
For some impressive mods for Doomsday - although I think most, if not all, have now been converted to Risen3D - check out stuff by Sitters

http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/

If, however, the features you mentioned are the ones that are most important to you, I too would recommend GZdoom. It can do everything you are asking about (and more besides) and has a wider user base (so, more people to play your mod) and would probably have more people able to support/help you with any queries you might have along the way.

After reviewing both, I decided to go with GZDooM. It is, as you say, much better. Especially after I loaded PNGs and MP3s and both worked without much tinkering. I am in a world of happy. Not to mention, there is much more solid documentation written for it.
Risen3D was an interesting looksy-wooksy. I might try something with it someday, if only to say that I did.

Thanks, guys!
-C