Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Dawn of Reality - GZDooM big city map

All places from this very big map are real locations from my city, and lots of textures are captured from photos of this places (only interiors of houses be improvised). Wad will contain lots of high-res, photo-realistic textures. Actually I have 85% and I plan to realased this in july.

Has a very Duke Nukemish feel to it. I like what I see so far, so keep us updated. :)

It looks gorgeous. But yeah, two things:

1. As everyone else says, it has to play well too.
2. Will this, in the finished wad, be a world in which demons have invaded? It looks far too clean and healthy for that at the moment.

Of course gameplay is on the first place. There will be lots of demons to exterminate, and good history. Lonbg time ago I create a prototype of this map. It looks ugly but geometry in this prototype be the same, and gameplay be just wonderfull! Gameplay will be absolutely non-linear. Sorry for my poor english...

I like it! Especially the second and third shots. Reminds me of sitters maps, which I suppose is why others have left comments worrying about gameplay. :)

Oh, and don't worry about your English, it's fine. I can already tell you type better English than some of our supposed native English speakers. (heh)

The outdoor shots look magnificent, indoor shots are great. The only criticism I have is that Doomguy's become a midget.

Looks very wonderful, I guess the only thing I can add is just what everyone else is saying just make sure it plays good.

The last indoor looks too Doomish.

What would be the problem with gameplay if the city's literally crowded with Demons and, more importantly, they're allowed to roam anywhere and are also taught to use lifts and doors?

I really want the gameplay to give out some freedom, with no typical many-doors-there-but-only-one-opens-at-a-time linearities. It's like every new casual wad I open, I see a cramped dungeon with only ONE way all the time, which stinks. So otherwise, a city may be a good theme for freedom gameplay where the player can choose their way and also risk waking up too many beasts.

I guarantee absolute not linearity, good fight, adrenaline and atmosphere.Unfortunately I have several doors which are dummy, but this of reason, that I wanted to the places looked as them the real equivalents. But only several is them. Most of doors conceals staircases and flats. If I have more sidedefs, I will be create much much more indoor locations.

Outdoor shots are awesome...I think those HiRes trees really set it off. Hope it plays well too!

dude, that map looks great. i can't wait to play it.

* drools over the trees and the reflecting marble floor *

Woah wait, is this really a doom map? Hell, if it weren't for the sprites I'd think it was a map for Half Life.

The city is very bland... there's very little "city" to it. Fire hydrants, parking meters, road lines, signs, advertisements, vehicles...

Another city aspect that just isn't captured well, in doom, is 'grime'. We need to see newspapers on the ground, spills, stains, garbage... the city looks too pristine. It's a good start for a city map, but it needs to be more detailed to be a realistic looking city.

Scuba Steve said:

The city is very bland... there's very little "city" to it. Fire hydrants, parking meters, road lines, signs, advertisements, vehicles...

Another city aspect that just isn't captured well, in doom, is 'grime'. We need to see newspapers on the ground, spills, stains, garbage... the city looks too pristine. It's a good start for a city map, but it needs to be more detailed to be a realistic looking city.

Not all cities are alike. Okay sure most cities have at least road lines, but I can think of quite a few neighborhoods I've seen (in Finland) that don't have any fire hydrants (in fact, never seen these anywhere in Finnish cities), parking meters (only in downtown areas), signs (depends on neighborhood), advertisements (usually only along bigger roads in road lights, downtown, bus stops) or vehicles. Similarly trash isn't something that I'd call very common in every city on the face of the Earth.

The map itself, in terms of atmosphere is incredible. (I love the trees and overall city atmosphere). It makes me feel like I'm in a city.

Some constructive critisism and ideas-

- Like printz said, the room in the last screenshot looks too hellish. Try to replace the candles and wood doors with modern lighting (lamps), and suburban door textures (metal doors, and wood doors you'd see in a house). However, keep the shiny marble floor!

-Scuba Steve also made a good point about how the city needs more trash on the ground, as it looks too clean right now, and if it's a city, it needs to be dirty

I, myself, think that if the city has been invaded, certain areas can look damaged, or there can be holes in the ground. This will still help keep the city looking very realistic, but there can also be proof that there's been an invasion and fighting here. Of course, the majority of the city should still be intact as otherwise, the beauty of the map is compromised and it would take away the city's looks.

Either way, I look forward on seeing its progress and I can't wait to play it. Keep it up!

Since nobody's said it yet, could you align the skull textures beside the candles in the last screenshot? But yeah, it's lookin' super!

There no fire hydrants and parking meters in this city. I have some newspapers on the ground (look on the video on YouTube) and other garbage. I still fight with sidedefs limit - thrust me, this map is very, very big and have lots of indoor sectors. Doom Builder crush with more then 55000 siedefs...
And I remember about road lines - there will be in finished map.
I have some problem with align hi-res textures in DB, but I bring this to order.
I don't make holes and any other signs of fight becouse I doo this with reason of storyline. And this hellish place is very important place in this story...
Thanks to all!

Reinchard666 said:

And this hellish place is very important place in this story...

It's what I thought, can't wait to play it :)

That first shot sort of gave me the impression of half life as well. Very nice.

I would also have assumed the hellish area would be intentional and not gone "not a city lolz". Let me guess, super-secret UAC lab in a non-descript office opens a gate to hell?

wow, can't wait for this one to come out. Good use of dynamic lighting in GZDoom. Try implementing real ambiant sounds around the map. (Police sirens, Car Horns, ect.)