Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stickguy5000

First Doom wad review Souled Out (by me)

Well a wad by the name of Souled Out, created by Kyle Black and Dave Black. This seriously did not need to have two authors. In fact it looks like a three year old hopped onto his old man's computer and just clicked the mouse button a million times. Wow, what a piece of garbage. These two sirs wanted to make a twist to there level, however to me there was no twist and these fellows did a piss poor job of trying to even tell a story.

Story:0/10 what twist I want to know...

The texturing was fucking horrible it's door textures stacked ontop of door textures because they made the rooms too fucking high. So the whole architecture is just bleh yuck.

architecture: 0/10

The gameplay wasn't as bad however there wasn't enough puzzles. Not much to say in gameplay.

7/10

Overall this level is shit don't download this waste of harddrive.

0.5/10

Got a link and/or pictures? Just to confirm that this review is correct and not just bashing against someone.

Steeveeo said:

Got a link and/or pictures? Just to confirm that this review is correct and not just bashing against someone.

I agree that you need to verify your review. The fact that you're giving so many zeros compared to what you're alledgedly awarding them for does make this look like a bashing session. =/ Bashing other peoples work is definitely not a good thing to do. It doesn't speak well of you.

Well, after seeing for myself, looks like you just tried to make a bad deathz0r impression.

The wad itself did have horrid architecture, in that area you were right, but you were a bit harsh in which you graded basically ONLY upon that...

The gameplay was OK, and I disagree about the puzzle comment, as few levels NEED tons of puzzles (like SuperSonic Doom), but rather, have a ton of mindless violence as fun (like half the other good wads).

Im kinda confused about the text file though:

Description : Just a fun level with a bit of a twist that
we've not seen done before.

Was looking all over for that "twist that we have not seen before" still havent found it...

that was a very in-depth and gentle review given to a great wad. please review more for me.

pause

NOT!

The overall score is totally stupid if the gameplay got a 7/10... and yeah it's just a bashing session.

I don't know, I found this review to be well-thought out, informative, and written with a unique style. Keep up the good work!

It's safe to say we can finally sit back in peace, because it's clear our future generations will handle things quite decently. If they can make a game level with good gameplay at three, imagine what they'll achieve eventually!

The wad didn't get good reviews to begin with and there isn't much about it that's impressive.

However, giving nearly every aspect of it a 0 out of 10 is a little bit too harsh. "Wow" wad is about the only one that deserves 0 out of 10 ratings...although even then, some people like it.

stickguy5000 said:

created by Kyle Black and Dave Black. This seriously did not need to have two authors.

Why not?

Overall this level is shit don't download this waste of harddrive.

Its only 78kb unzipped.

Its an map from '95 and its made by two beginning mappers with an older map editor, making and decent looking map back then took whole lot more patience and effort.For an first map this is pretty decent the architecture is very simplistic and they didn't payed attention to the sizes of the textures they were using.I liked the non linear layout and the way to reach the exit switch was not an good decision imo.

Gameplay was entertaining but pretty easy its nothing an seasoned doomer should have problems with.The map doesn't seem to have any serious bugs either, not counting all the misalignments so props for that.

My verdict:**

pizzabob18 said:
"Wow" wad is about the only one that deserves 0 out of 10 ratings...although even then, some people like it.

Personally I'd use 1 (even out of 5) for something like Wow, and leave 0 for those that are broken (crash or terminate the game very often or automatically). Over here in school tests often have a 0-10 rating, and 0 is when you don't show up or decline to take the test... a 1 would mean doing something, at least.

K!r4 said:

The overall score is totally stupid if the gameplay got a 7/10... and yeah it's just a bashing session.

well who the fuck cares about math

why the fuck are you reacting so harshly to someone who pointed a flaw in your review? you fucking bashed on someone else's work and someone simply pointed out that your scoring system sucked, and also the map wasn't even that bad, you just couldn't exit, thats all.

here is some advice: be informative and unbiased towards the level, take an indifferent attitude when trying to score. texturing gets a 2 because the textures aren't entirely random and its only misaligned and the mapper uses textures that aren't supposed to tile on large surfaces. architecture is plain and simple but its a coherent map, so maybe it gets a 2. the gameplay was pretty fun, but it was detracted a bit by the over-simplicity and assumption the player would know exactly where to go, and the fact that a voodoo doll cant move and hit the exit switch, so it gets maybe a 5. i see no mention of a story so don't go handing out a 0 for a story. if you average out the three scores you get an overall of 3.

It's pretty obvious that "Souled Out" was some sort of first attempt at mapping by a person who appeared to have made it solely for the fun of it. The text file clearly stated that the authors made it to "bond" with each other. I don't see why we all feel compelled to hunt down some random newbie map to bash on by giving poor review scores. Wouldn't it be more practical to give a review to a map that was actually intended to be analyzed in a serious manner? =S

I agree with DD and have an idea : if the it's this kind of map the score shouldn't exist, but comments would be enough.
It's way too random to review a 1995 map in 2008.

The review was rather harsh for what is after all a "fun level".

Story - optional. Take gun, shoot stuff, don't get killed, find the exit.
Architecture - a fairly typical "first map" with mis-aligned textures and odd looking doors. I liked the stairway.
Gameplay - the maps strong point. It wasn't described as a puzzle wad so I didn't expect to find many.
Overall - I'd score it 2/5.

And maths does matter. Yor cumulative score was 7/30 or 2.33/10.

Steeveeo said:

Well, after seeing for myself, looks like you just tried to make a bad deathz0r impression.

Was looking all over for that "twist that we have not seen before" still havent found it...

I agree.

Probably the voodoo doll blocking the exit. I don't know how common they were in `95.

myk said:

Personally I'd use 1 (even out of 5) for something like Wow, and leave 0 for those that are broken (crash or terminate the game very often or automatically). Over here in school tests often have a 0-10 rating, and 0 is when you don't show up or decline to take the test... a 1 would mean doing something, at least.

But since you can't finish wow you can consider it broken.
ps:
I wouldn't consider it broken because it's a jokewad and it was the intention that you couldn't finish it.

GreyGhost said:

Probably the voodoo doll blocking the exit. I don't know how common they were in `95.

There were times that I found that to be impressive :p

If they thought up the name by themselves, that's a point in its favor.