Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

crazy ass stair architecture (now stairs MUTATE)

Both are zdoom map01.

I got this idea from seeing some interesting stairs in Mechadon's Salamandastron map, then used my old friends, copy and paste, to have a field day.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wd62jg

There's currently no enemies or exit (so much height difference confines ground enemies and floating cacos are too large and get stuck. Maybe those mini cacos from zen dynamics would be best in here, or it might be good for deathmatch but I never play that.)

***UPDATE***

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b3f90z

Here, I used silent teleporting to make stairs visually throb in a bizarre way.

Looks pretty cool but the damn thing has errors (but still mostly works). The engine interprets some of the teleporting lines as unclosed sectors so the player jerkily jumps over them instead of it being smooth (only at the top of the stairs). It took too long for me to want to fix if it is fixable.

i can tell you one thing: that map wont get anywhere really.

i mean, its a cool experiment and all, but its too cramped for deathmatch and too large and sprawling. some parts of it kinda look like seashells though, heh.

Yeah, you're right. It was mostly just a visual experiment but wouldn't be that good for actual gameplay. Doom is designed for more flat 2.5 d areas.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Greatest map ever conceived. 5/5

Wow, that's a lot of crazy ass stairs :O

Actually it might be a mildly amusing Last Man Standing map...but outside of that, I don't see it being very fun. At least it looks really cool :p

Unofficial review. :-)

StairDriftSH.wad - gggmork
zDoom - SP - 296kb

StairDriftSh.wad is an interesting experiment where gggmork attempts to confuse and disorient the player by placing them in a maze of stairs that has few identifiable landmarks. Not recommended for people who get lost in multi-level carparks.

This map creates a very interesting visual experience. But yeah, I don't know what else you could do with it.

Ha ha, I should hide all 3 keys in hard to find nooks and crannies, then make each key activate a linedef that can only be spotted from its subtle texture difference, then finally top it off with a hidden 1 pixel wide ledge to reach the exit, just to make it the most annoying map ever.

haha, and whoever makes a demo of completing the level gets a special prize -- a more cramped and more sprawling version of the map with zdoom scripting and needing six keys to reach the exit!

I made a new experiment, linked to from the first post. Theoretically it would be possible to make the ENTIRE sprawling first map visually pulse like that.. but it would make the file size 16 times bigger and take a hell of a lot of silent teleport lines (I used 97 teleport lines in that small area alone I think).

I can see that effect being used in other wads for small visual things. It's pretty weird and trippy.

Clearly a SLIGE generated map :)

No really, very interesting effect. I agree with ler It's a useful visual that could be used practically in maps, if implemented with a little more restraint!

With a few tweaks the second version could become a never-ending stairway. I like it. :-)