Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Doom Heaven

I brought this up a while back, and I seem to be the only person to know this exists. I finally found it today after my mom tried to sell it at a yard sale.

"Heaven Series CD-ROMs Copyright 1995, Most Significant Bits."

Browsing the disc, I've found that there are about 1600 custom WADs. I didn't even know there were that many by 1995. It also contains:

• Savegame, item placement, and pallette editors
  • Editors like DMAPEDIT, DCK, DOOMED
  • Custom sounds, walls, sprites, DEHACKED files
  • Doom icons and Windows themes
  • A crapload of FAQs and spec sheets
  • Demos, launchers, GUIs, etc. etc. etc.
It also contains shareware games: Doom 1.666, Castle of the Winds, Dare to Dream, Highway Hunter, Jazz Jackrabbit, Ken's Labyrinth, Kiloblaster, Linewars 2, One Must Fall 2097, Order out of Chaos, Epic Pinball, Traffic Department 2192, Wolf3D 1.4, Xargon 1: Beyond Reality, and Zone 66.

Complete directory listing here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/204664594.html

Naturally, these programs would only work in DOS/Win95. I can't test any programs since I have a 64-bit CPU. If there's enough interest, I could probably make a torrent of this disc...

Bucket said:

Naturally, these programs would only work in DOS/Win95. I can't test any programs since I have a 64-bit CPU. If there's enough interest, I could probably make a torrent of this disc...

PRO-TIP: DOSBox is great for doing 16-bit DOS/WIN stuff on 64-bit CPUs

Funny how it says it's for Doom I despite having a Mancubus in the logo... o_O

Also, is that a stormtrooper in the "D"?

Yes it is. Indeed, this disc includes all your basic 1995 needs including Barney, Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, Bill Clinton and Star Wars mods. I used to play Doom 24/7 and I don't think I've tried a tenth of the crap on here.

EDIT: Since I doubt all these WADs are in idgames, should I try to upload them?

Yeah I say give it a try. Theres probably wads on there most of us haven't heard of.

you want to upload 1994 wads? are you crazy?

EDIT: Beavis and Butthead is forbidden in the /idgames archives anyways, right?

Could you do a directory listing and redirect it to a text file, then post the results so that people could see what was on the disk?

Enjay said:

Could you do a directory listing and redirect it to a text file, then post the results so that people could see what was on the disk?

I already did. Read again.

I'm also trying to make a torrent, it isn't working so far.

Bucket said:

I already did. Read again.

My apologies. I missed that.

Heh, some of my early stuff is on there. I they're in the archive though.

How do you save a directory listing like that? I have a different disk from '95 with a different list of old crappy wads on it, if anyone's curious.

I played through lots of these wads quite a few years ago, and found a couple gems and many stinkers. If I'm curious, and find some that don't suck and aren't in the archive, is there a policy for uploading wads that are divorced from their original txt?

In Windows/DOS you go to the command prompt, navigate to the directory you want to dump and type:

dir /s > files.txt
Remove "/s" if you don't need to include subdirectories.

EDIT: I have a ZIP file, a nonfunctional torrent and no way to distribute this disc. So...

Here's what I have.

files.txt
http://www.speedyshare.com/802811945.html

All the files on the disk have "last modified" dates around the end of 1994.

I used to get my parents to buy shareware disks, and I'd kill marvelous amounts of time just with demos. This is the only disk I still have of a seven disk set, but the others just had 2d dos games, utilities, etc., so I don't miss 'em.

A list like Enjay says could help, Bucket, or maybe you could put the CD contents up somewhere, actually, and then we could send the better missing ones to the archive; particularly the ones with text files to accompany them. I doubt there are any that say "do not distribute"; if so, just exclude those.

But yeah, a text file alone already helps people detect unknown or lost files.

Again, there is already a full directory listing in the first post. In addition, all the WADs I've encountered so far have had an accompanying text file.

I'll attempt to zip up all the WADs separately and upload them somewhere. Later I may compile a detailed list of all the utilities and resources with descriptions, as long as anyone is interested in old DOS programs.

EDIT: OK, here are the WADs. It's a 65Mb file. There were only 2 out of 1600 that I noticed didn't have a text file. Link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/114045467/doomheavenwads.7z.html

Might as well get on with perusing the utils. I'll post them soon.

Since my disk has fewer levels and far fewer text files than the Doom Heaven disk, I'll leave the level scrounging to others.

I looked through my folder of Heretic wads, though, since I assume the Doom Heaven disk doesn't have any, and... all the wads are either in idgames already or are illegal rips. For example, I have "htown.wad". The text file states that this is converted from "par-002c.wad", a Doom map. The converter is not the level's original author. The text file for par-002c.wad states that others may NOT base new levels upon it. And, here's the funny part... the text file for htown.wad has that same disclaimer. Apparently, now that he's stolen someone else's level, he wants to protect his new assets.

There is some really random crap on that disk. There's a wad called big that is basically all the levels from Doom, at least the original three episodes anyway. It even includes the swastika in E1M4, so it's based on an older version. I don't feel like testing it to see if the levels have been changed, but it's kind of interesting.

The rest of it seems to be random levels and wad packs.

Bucket,Creaphis. Guys, can you make full iso images of these disks and upload them, please? I'm collecting 3rd party CDs with DOOM/Heretic stuff.

Here what i have (physical disks or isos):

D!Match - 500 levels
D!Zone - 150 levels
D!Zone - 900 levels
D!Zone 2 - 150 levels
D!Zone 2 - 1000 levels
D!Zone 3 - 1000 levels
D!Zone Gold - 3000 levels
H!Zone - 250 levels for Heretic & Hexen
DeathDay Collection
DeathMatch for Doom 1 & 2 - 7000 levels (2CD)
Demon Gate - 666 levels
Doom Accessories Pack vol.2
Doom Accessories Pack vol.3
Doom Companion
Doom Extra's
Doom 2 Mania vol.1
Magic & Mayhem - 1500 levels for Heretic
Maximum Death - new levels for Heretic
3D Game alchemy
Tricks of the Doom programming gurus
Chex Quest
Doom 2 ScreenSaver (floppy)

Here what i know that exist, but not have yet:

Supercharged Xpansion Pack - 500 new levels for DOOM, DOOM 2, HEXEN
Death Match II For DOOM II - 900 new levels
The Complete DOOM Accessory Pack volume I - over 150 additional levels
The Complete DOOM Accessory Pack Volume IV - over 1800 new levels
DOOM II Explosion - Over 2000 new levels
1001 Nights of DOOM
DOOM FEVER - DOOM II Accessories and Much More!
The Ultimate Add-On Collection
DOOM Mania
DOOM 2 ADDONS
Heaven II For DOOM II
DM2-MAGIC for DOOM II - 270 new levels
Cobra utilities for DOOM & DOOM II
The TOOM Parade - 150 new levels for DOOM & DOOM II
Level Master II - over 2400 levels for DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen
DOOM Helper
DOOM Helper 2
Doom I/II Collection
Levelmania - 1100 levels for DOOM 2 + BONUS DOOMSDAY audiotrek
Demon Gate Mega Collection - Over 6000 hot new levels
Hacx CD

Bucket said:

I brought this up a while back, and I seem to be the only person to know this exists. I finally found it today after my mom tried to sell it at a yard sale.

"Heaven Series CD-ROMs Copyright 1995, Most Significant Bits."

They also published a Doom 2 version - unfortunately most of the wads are conversions.

Complete directory listing here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/204664594.html

Can't download - looks like Speedyshare doesn't like Australians.

Jimmy91 said:

Funny how it says it's for Doom I despite having a Mancubus in the logo... o_O

Look closer - you'll also see an arachnatron and a chaingunner. :-)

c.imp said:

Bucket,Creaphis. Guys, can you make full iso images of these disks and upload them, please? I'm collecting 3rd party CDs with DOOM/Heretic stuff.

Where do you suggest I do that? Rapidshare has a 100Mb limit.

Wow. c.imp, I think there might be some redundancy in that list there. Also...

"Magic & Mayhem - 1500 levels for Heretic"

That sounds like 1500 hideous algorithmic conversions to me.

I'm not set up for iso ripping. Can you recommend some software?

Bucket, i see you use 7Zip, right? Make archive with separate 95mb volumes. 7Zip allow that.
Or try http://depositfiles.com/en/
This service has 300mb size limit per file over 100mb rapidshare (and many others) limit.

Creaphis said:

"Magic & Mayhem - 1500 levels for Heretic"

That sounds like 1500 hideous algorithmic conversions to me.

There are a few Heretic wads buried under the conversions. The same can be said about Maximum Death.

Creaphis, yeah, you and GreyGhost are right. On these two Heretic levels CDs 90% of wads is conversions from DOOM1/2. All we know, unfortunatelly here is no many original and exclusive levels for Heretic & Hexen maked for all years. But in collection purposes these CDs is good anyway.

You can make ISO (or any other format - NRG, CCD, MDF) with this soft:
Nero
UltraISO
CloneCD
Alcohol 120%
ISOBuster

But don't use WinISO! This one is buggy and make strange date/time for files/folder in ISO image very softly. Like 1980 or even 2045 year of file creation is possible with this program.

I found ImgBurn, ripped the ISO and compressed it with 7z. I hope that's okay. Uploading now.