Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fabio914

[Project] Doom 3 on GZDoom

About

Well , the project name says everything you need to know about it. Its a Doom 3 conversion for GZDoom and it´s still under development , we hope we can use most of GZDoom effects (such as 3D floors , ACS Scripts , Md2 models) to create a wad very similar to ID´s Doom 3. Some features of the wad are written below:

- PDA
- Doom 3 HD Textures (no resize)
- Doom 3 HUD
- Doom 3 3D models (converted into md2)
- Doom 3 maps (built with 3D-floors and with GZDoom light effects)

The goal of this project is to make Doom 3 playable on old computers through this wad pack.

I hope you like it!

Videos
Tech Demo version
Alpha 0.1 version
Monsters

Screenshots

More info available HERE

You sure it's dark enough? :p

Are you going to convert the weapon models over to GZDoom, too? HUD Model support was recently added, so it should be possible.

Snarboo said:

You sure it's dark enough? :p

Are you going to convert the weapon models over to GZDoom, too? HUD Model support was recently added, so it should be possible.

We´re still thinking of converting the weapons models but I think we won´t do it because we already have all the weapons done with sprites.

the weapons are sprites! so that is cool, md2 models more cool, but if that is not posible so, the sprite can be great!

Damn this looks cool! I'm intrested in testing this for you. If you need me then drop a PM. And oh can you tell the admins on your forum to activate my acount? I signed up during the weekend and it should've been activated sooner than now. I checked my junkmail but no result so far.

Best "I'm gonna remake doom 3 in doom 2" wad yet! I dont recognize the maps in the video though, do you plan to do accurate remakes of all the maps that were originally in Doom 3? Including intro maps and all?

Yeah that's a huge question. In Alpha labs there is several machines transporting stuff around. Are these models? If so will you recreate them so the levels work as Doom3 does?

jobro said:

Damn this looks cool! I'm intrested in testing this for you. If you need me then drop a PM. And oh can you tell the admins on your forum to activate my acount? I signed up during the weekend and it should've been activated sooner than now. I checked my junkmail but no result so far.

What is the nickname that you have registered? I probably activated your account already , but I think I still didn´t gave you access to the Beta files.

Jim Rainer said:

When can we expect an openly playable alpha or beta?

You can download a "Tech Demo" version on our web site , but I don´t consider that as a alpha/beta version. I´ll probably release a public alpha version on the next month. And the final version will be released early next year.

JohnnyRancid said:

Best "I'm gonna remake doom 3 in doom 2" wad yet! I dont recognize the maps in the video though, do you plan to do accurate remakes of all the maps that were originally in Doom 3? Including intro maps and all?

Yes, we´ll remake all Doom 3 maps. The maps on these videos are only for testing the ACS "engine" that we´re developing for this project.

This is a screenshot of the Mars City hangar (under development).

jobro said:

Yeah that's a huge question. In Alpha labs there is several machines transporting stuff around. Are these models? If so will you recreate them so the levels work as Doom3 does?

Some of these are models. We´ll convert some of these (the ones that are models) into GZDoom models (md2 format) but others we´ll make through Doom Builder with 3D floors.

caco_killer said:

That looks pretty cool. You don't intend to make the levels just like the original Doom 3's, do you?

The main objective of the project is to do that , but we´ll also make our own maps in Doom 3 style (mainly the deathmatch maps).

I agree with Kristus, who I've noticed you seem to be completely ignoring. Doom 3 textures taken completely raw without either bumpmapping/lighting effects, or doing some processing to them in Photoshop, look really bad.

esselfortium said:

I agree with Kristus, who I've noticed you seem to be completely ignoring. Doom 3 textures taken completely raw without either bumpmapping/lighting effects, or doing some processing to them in Photoshop, look really bad.

Sorry , I didn´t wanted to ignore him. Well , we still don´t have any screenshot or video of the textures with lighting effects and bumpmapping but we´ll use some of the GZDoom light effects such as Dynamic Lights that will make these textures look better.

i hope you realize how many 3d floors and how much detail you need to put in to make it look like doom3.

Fabio914 said:

Sorry , I didn´t wanted to ignore him. Well , we still don´t have any screenshot or video of the textures with lighting effects and bumpmapping but we´ll use some of the GZDoom light effects such as Dynamic Lights that will make these textures look better.

Dynamic lights aren't the problem, it's that the Doom 3 engine actually processes the textures based on the lighting (this is what the separate images are for each texture). Of course you can't make GZDoom do that same processing, but you could take the raw diffuse maps you're using now, open them up in Photoshop, and apply the bumpmaps and whatnot to them in there.

kristus said:

I see you still insist on ripping the diffuse textures raw from Doom3.

esselfortium said:

Dynamic lights aren't the problem, it's that the Doom 3 engine actually processes the textures based on the lighting (this is what the separate images are for each texture). Of course you can't make GZDoom do that same processing, but you could take the raw diffuse maps you're using now, open them up in Photoshop, and apply the bumpmaps and whatnot to them in there.

Hummm... I know that, but I don't know how to work with photoshop... but how can I marge that three images? I know that almost all D3 textures have a normal texture, a black/white texture (it seems to make a 'deep' effect) and other 'psychodelic' texture (maybe is for lightning effects or something) I'm right? well, I can't do that by now, I'm too busy.. someone can help? (we have more that 1000 textures here o.O)

Project release dates:

End of July > Closed release of D3onGZD Alpha 2 (for beta testers)

August > Public release of D3onGZD Alpha 2

September > Public release of Pack One (Launcher + general wads)

After September you´ll be able to download the new maps of D3onGZD trough the Launcher.

Very nice! This looks pretty well-done!

At some point, after my Doom 3 monster project was done, I was going to try to make a Doom 3 to Doom 2 project, myself. Since this looks so cool, and this'll remake Doom 3 as closely as possible, I'll make my mod sort of a compatibility version, if I get around to making it at all. My version will be close to Doom 2-style, for those who like that, and will be playable in ZDoom and online in Skulltag.

Good luck with this project, it looks really great :D. One thing though, you probably shouldn't set up a deadline. Several projects and games that had deadlines weren't nearly as good as they could've been if the developers had more time.

Ghastly_dragon said:

Very nice! This looks pretty well-done!

At some point, after my Doom 3 monster project was done, I was going to try to make a Doom 3 to Doom 2 project, myself. Since this looks so cool, and this'll remake Doom 3 as closely as possible, I'll make my mod sort of a compatibility version, if I get around to making it at all. My version will be close to Doom 2-style, for those who like that, and will be playable in ZDoom and online in Skulltag.

Good luck with this project, it looks really great :D. One thing though, you probably shouldn't set up a deadline. Several projects and games that had deadlines weren't nearly as good as they could've been if the developers had more time.

It´s not really a deadline , in fact , we´ll release our launcher at September , then , with the launcher , everyone will be able to download our newest maps , but this doesn´t mean that the project will be complete at September. As soon as a map is complete it will be available for download through our launcher , so I think the project will be complete only next year.

And good luck with your project , I´m sure that many people would like to have a Doom 3 in a Doom 2 style ;-) (as many people thought that my project would be like this and they have disappointed when I said that it would be different).

HEY GHASTLY Fabio will use the d3 weapons mod sprites so you was help me with the decorate code , maybe you should be interested about this!

Looks good so far. One criticism about the trailer, though. Don't use the doom 3 theme, please. It's so overused for things such as this.

Jim Rainer said:

Don't use the doom 3 theme, please. It's so overused for things such as this.

Lol , I will use another music on the next trailer. ;-)

Carnevil said:

Looks much better than the actual Doom 3.

Hehe , Thanks but I think we still have a lot of work to do for it to be better than Doom 3.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think it's ilegal to use Doom 3 textures in other games.

Its also illigal to use Doom textures in Doom2.And what about all those texture recource wads that contain textures from Quake, Hexen, Heretic etc.