Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve Searle

Doom 64: The Reckoning released!?!

After starting this project WAY back in july of 2005, I've finally decided to release the damn thing!

The wad includes 9 new levels split into 2 episodes of 5 and 4 levels each.

I originally wanted to make the wad bigger, but due to lack of
ideas and inspiration, no other levels were completed.

But there is enough stuff in the wad to still make it worthwhile.

Nuff' said.

Download-

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/d64rec.zip

MUST be played with the Doom64tc, WITH Outcast installed.

Oh hell yes

This also calls for porting The Reckoning to the D64Ex engine :)

That would'nt have anything to do with the Doom 64 remake I've heard of, Kaiser?

My idea for the wad was to release it now for the tc as it is, then wait for the remake to surface, and then port it over, probably adding the missing levels to the wad aswell.

Steve Searle said:

That would'nt have anything to do with the Doom 64 remake I've heard of, Kaiser?

As far as I know it's Kaiser hacking the actual Doom64 rom and modifying a emulator engine to run wads or something similar.

Close. I am writing an engine from scratch. Well, sort of, its based on an old source port but just about everything got re-written.

The goal is to fully read all the contents from the actual rom. Unfortuently I ran into a snag where certain doom lumps are under a unique compressed format which I have yet to figure out. An iwad is already in place, but due to legal issues, etc, I am aiming to have the engine dump the rom contents into an iwad instead. The engine also has a chunk of the Project64 emulator to playback the music. Having the idea of using bulky mp3 wads is insane in my opinion..

Steve Searle said:

My idea for the wad was to release it now for the tc as it is, then wait for the remake to surface, and then port it over, probably adding the missing levels to the wad aswell.

I'll be more than happy to provide any support with the new engine once its done.

I was wondering if you were ever going to finish/release this.

Downloading as I type this; definitely looking forward to playing it. :)

I know!!

I thought I'd never release it.

Reason why it took so long was that I was trying to come up with more maps for the wad, but they never got off the ground.

Hopefully when Kaiser releases the new version of Doom 64, that
will give me the push to finish this wad as I wanted to finish it.

Thank you Mr. Searle :)

Very nice work! Your skills and style have improved greatly since 'Redemption Denied'.

Redemption Denied was one map pack which I thought could not be completed (due to some level bugs/glitches). However, that map pack is very large and such, with some hard-to-find switches or the like. As well, some said that some incomplete sections of the stages prevented progress, but I remember finishing the last level of it afterwards, without noclipping. It's just that the levels are nice and big, with run back and forth gameplay and lots of monsters every step of the way.

Just finished playing it tonight. Whats unfinised about it? it seems pretty well put together, although it wasnt completely cheat free, due to loosing some save points, not sure why exactly... I thought it was good! I noticed some architecture seemed influenced by other maps, done on purpose? Nice to play new maps for Doom 64!

Good to know people are enjoying the wad, I appreciate the comments.

The reason I deem it unfinished is because the wad was meant to be made up of at least 10 main maps and one secret map, but because of lack of ideas, levels 9 and 11 were never finished.

The 9th map in the wad "source of evil" was originally meant to be map 10, but as map 9 was never made, I moved that map into the map 9 slot, so effectively one map was missing.

Hopefully this will change when kaiser releases the new version of Doom 64, as I can convert this wad, and then use it as a base to build upon.

Kudos to you for actually being able to make some maps for the TC. I tried and failed utterly. Anyways I'm downloading this now, hopefully I can remember how to run custom maps with the TC, heh.

Steve Searle said:

Hopefully this will change when kaiser releases the new version of Doom 64, as I can convert this wad, and then use it as a base to build upon.

While not really 'done' yet, I can still send you wip builds of d64ex as you work on converting your wad over. Its in a state now where it can be used without completly nuking your PC.

Mechadon said:

Kudos to you for actually being able to make some maps for the TC. I tried and failed utterly. Anyways I'm downloading this now, hopefully I can remember how to run custom maps with the TC, heh.

Just put the files into the auto folder.

Kaiser said:

While not really 'done' yet, I can still send you wip builds of d64ex as you work on converting your wad over. Its in a state now where it can be used without completly nuking your PC.

Really?

That would be nice, assuming its in a stable state and playable?

@ Mechadon, editing the T.C. is a sod to crack, and there's a lot of trial and error involved with the coloured lighting, but once your used to it, it's pretty easy to work with.

Only problem then is coming up with maps without completely burning out when it comes to ideas, like I experienced with this wad.