Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPV999

Continuous-feed Conveyor Belt

Someone might have already thought of this, I don’t know... I was just bored in study hall today and started drawing this. And for once, when I got home and tried it, it actually worked!

It’s pretty neat (IMO) so I’d thought I’d share.

Basic premises is that you have a continuously moving line of things on a belt system. It’s not individual belts activated with switches or walk-over linedefs, each belt feeds into each other using teleporters, so the belts don’t even have to be connected. You have to be careful when setting delay times, however. All of it is noted in the scripting (in the WAD).

Here’s a copy of the map (hope this works, never done it before):

http://www.mediafire.com/?ftz9zgwmtzt

This could come in handy for warehouse or assembly line-type levels. You could even have a “Shut down the factory before the enemies new super weapon is assembled” theme, using an “if timer>## && switch==#” script.

IDK, I was bored. >.>

Sorry, but this has been thought of before, and this is actually all possible within the Boom engine. This is going to sound arrogant, but if you want to see an impressive Boom-compatible conveyor system, check out my wad:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15220

The conveyor belt in my level pulls monster corpses into a juicing machine, and shredded remains come out the other end. With nothing but Boom-compatible linedef actions, it has these features:

1. The fresh monster corpses and their squashed remains continuously - and silently - cycle through the conveyor system.
2. The juicing machine kills a baron of hell which "accidentally" walks into it - the player hears its death knell, which sounds instantly, and his corpse visibly leaves the machine's other side.
3. The conveyor system gives off ambient mechanical noise.
4. The player dies instantly if he enters the machine.
5. The whole system has off and on switches. When the system is turned off, all conveyor motion stops, the mechanical sound stops, and the player can enter the machine safely.
6. The machine can be viewed from above and below with no rendering difficulty in software.

What I don't like about it is that the "new" monster corpses all end up travelling in single file, because of a peculiarity in how things move on scrolling sectors in the original Boom engine - they tend to get a small boost of speed when entering a new scrolling sector, and I had to make the corpses come out in single file to avoid them getting snagged on the belt's edges. Also, the baron's corpse reappears repeatedly, but I could have prevented this with a bit more effort.

I love conveyor belts. you can do countless effects with them. pretty damn good conveyor system.

sooner or later I want to see a 6502 made from voodoo dolls and conveyor belts. :P

Csonicgo said:

I love conveyor belts. you can do countless effects with them. pretty damn good conveyor system.

sooner or later I want to see a 6502 made from voodoo dolls and conveyor belts. :P

But can it play Doom?

esselfortium said:

But can it play Doom?

Given the limitations of the 6502 I'll be happy if it plays Tetris. :P