Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funduke

Maximum Doom Reference published at /idgames

After a long time, i have finally uploaded version 1.0 of my Maximum Doom Reference to /idgames.

Title                   : The Maximum Doom Reference v. 1.0
Filename                : maxdoom.htm
Release date            : 12. May 2008
Author                  : Funduke
Email Address           : funduke@hotmail.com

Description             : This is a is a list of the files from the Maximum
                          Doom Collection, that came with the Master Levels
                          for Doom II -CD. The goal is to provide title,
                          author, play info, trivia and, if necessary,
                          technical hints about each wad on the CD-ROM and
                          to give download links to the original add-ons.

Additional Credits to   : Ty Halderman, Grazza, Myk, Oliver S. and my
                          Brother for help and encouragement.
Get it here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15294

I hope it's interesting for some of you.

Greetings
Funduke

K!r4 said:

How many time it took you ? D:
Anyway, good job.

4 years, with some coffee breaks, of course ;)

Greetings
Funduke

Some comments:

• Good work on the research put into this.
  • I really hope you didn't make this entire thing by hand.
  • The format is somewhat annoying - it's basically a text file in HTML form. What's wrong with plain text?
  • It would have been much more useful to have a machine readable form of this file (XML, CSV, etc), as it could have been used to generate a summary for the Doom wiki, automatically link to the Doomworld idgames browser, etc.

fraggle said:

• The format is somewhat annoying - it's basically a text file in HTML form. What's wrong with plain text?

Nothing's wrong. The idea was to make it as easy as possible to get the files from their online resources. ... Okay: On the other Hand: It's also easy to copy and paste the links for the user... I might change that in a possible updated version.
- By the way: Speaking of updates reminds me to request that interested readers check the end of the file. There are the files listed, that i couldn't find their originals with their textfiles. If anybody has one or more of them, please give them to me.

• It would have been much more useful to have a machine readable form of this file (XML, CSV, etc), as it could have been used to generate a summary for the Doom wiki, automatically link to the Doomworld idgames browser, etc.

That's very much work, and the thing took me already four years. But i will consider to do that in version 2.0, maybe coming in 2012. <-- That sentence isn't as ironical, as it sounds. I will really think about it. If i do it, i will learn very much from doing it.

Greetings
Funduke

Some identification of the modified levels in WADPACK3.WAD from WADIII.ZIP (WADPACK2.WAD on Maximum Doom) since they weren't mentioned:

Thanks funduke!!!!!!!!

All we need is a total doom compilation with every wad, editor, faq, port, source, game browser and a nice frontend.......(i'll keep dreaming)

Serioisly though your work is appreciated.

The Green Herring said:

Some identification of the modified levels in WADPACK3.WAD from WADIII.ZIP (WADPACK2.WAD on Maximum Doom) since they weren't mentioned:

Your information is very welcome!

Greetings
Funduke

Thanks for making this. You've done us Doomers a great service!

I do have a question. It seems that many of the Doom II levels were originally Doom levels that were converted. Does this affect the integrity of the levels in any way? I'm kinda under the impression that converting a level into another format (without testing it) sometimes results in glitches.

I do have a suggestion. You should list the levels that you think are worth playing. I'm sure there are some good levels out there.

ixfd64 said:

I do have a question. It seems that many of the Doom II levels were originally Doom levels that were converted. Does this affect the integrity of the levels in any way? I'm kinda under the impression that converting a level into another format (without testing it) sometimes results in glitches.

I didn't have that question in mind, when i wrote that file. But i will keep it in mind for the next version. But i remember that i was several times very disappointed, when an archvile popped up, in situations, when it was obviously not intended by the author of the level. The gameplay was messed up in some cases, that's for sure.

I do have a suggestion. You should list the levels that you think are worth playing. I'm sure there are some good levels out there.

I could do that for the next version. But keep in mind, that tastes are different.

Thanks tor the feedback.

Greetings
Funduke

funduke, this is an amazing project.  Schlock is an underrated subgenre of many art forms, including the history of moddable video games.   :D     I wish I had time to help you with your proposed revisions.

ixfd64 said:

It seems that many of the Doom II levels were originally Doom levels that were converted. Does this affect the integrity of the levels in any way? I'm kinda under the impression that converting a level into another format (without testing it) sometimes results in glitches.

IIRC there are some where the texture replacement is incomplete, so the level won't load unless you edit it first.  And, as funduke says, almost every "converted" map adds one megasphere, one arch-vile, and at least one SSG, with locations basically chosen at random.