Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Dead Space = the next Doom?

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadspace/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Its name is Dead Space, its very DOOMish, only instead of going to Hell you are on board a space ship overrun by aliens that have mutated from dead people on the ship. That sounds like the story behind the DOOM movie though!

Why I think it could be the next DOOM. It is very sci fi-dark and scary. Instead of 1st person, its 3rd person. There are hideous aliens you must fight, BUT with the new technology you must intelligently dismember them to put them to rest. Instead of just head shots.

The game also has zero gravity environments that will let you float through space. Leap from the floor to the ceiling of a zero G area and use the magnetic boots to stick.

Finally, like all horror games there are big creatures, but because this could be "the next" DOOM thing, instead of just dying, you get to see fatalities / death scenes when you die.

Tell me what you think. Look at the game, am I jumping the gun?

Nothing will ever be "the next Doom." I don't think that market saturation of the level that Doom had is even possible anymore.

Creaphis said:

I don't think that market saturation of the level that Doom had is even possible anymore.

There have been a few games that have come close, namely the GTA and Halo series. You would need an advertising machine greater than Microsoft's and virtually no competition to be able to match Doom's original success these days, though.

I don't know about being the next Doom but I do like the look of the main character; a little different from the usual space marine sent in to fix the situation or the everyman left over after the rest of the crew was killed. Looks to be very lonely, that's good in a game like that.

Isn't the main guy like a mechanic or engineer? Pardon me but I haven't heard from the game since it was first mentioned a while back.

He's a mechanic and I saw an interview that said there will be 9 major characters.

I suppose I should clarify that I didn't mean the next Doom as in popularity and everywhereness. I meant it as DOOM like but taking it to the next step / level from technology advancements.

I don't think they will ever emulate the Doom experience with modern technology. It can be simulated in 3D tech; it's a formula that seemed to die with Quake. And that's my opinion.

Sure they can make a space game with hyper realistic graphics and awesome formulated story like everybody wants but in reality you can't put a Doom face on either of the elements. And even stupid run and gun games that tried to simulate the feel came out ho-hum.

Creaphis said:
Nothing will ever be "the next Doom." I don't think that market saturation of the level that Doom had is even possible anymore.

That's probably true, at least for a long while. I think it would need to combine some new form of marketing with a very good style, and clear technical innovation. Something has to change in information sharing and handling, and a means equivalent to shareware but suitable for the new medium has to "explode" in it.

I don't think any game can challenge Doom's legacy without allowing third-party content. Do you think we would be posting here if people couldn't make their own levels?

Creaphis said:

Probably true. In recent years, Halo and Half-Life and The Sims and GTA have all been big sellers, but none have outsold Windows. Doom did.

I think, though, that that was something that went with the times and can't really be duplicated again. For one thing, Windows wasn't the only mainstream OS for PCs back then. A lot of people ran just DOS, so Windows wasn't a huge necessity. Secondly, back then 90% of the PC market were computer geeky types. PCs hadn't really gone mainstream yet. So there weren't a lot of housewives and businessmen with PCs, just a lot of younger types and computer geeks who were interested in anything with cool tech, like Doom had. And not all of them were running Windows.

Still, my point is Doom is the only game to have ever outsold Windows, and I just think that's cool. :)

... I was meaning the game itself, the basic idea, the horror and the sci-fi, not the sales of it.

As for sales; nope, nothing will ever beat DOOM.

Eww doesnt look like doom to me.

Actually, it does kind of strike me as being a Doom-ish type of game, somehow mixed with elements of something like the original Unreal (Ship crashes, aliens kill everyone...) It sounds interesting. I'd probably buy it if I happened to see it on a shelf and had some spare cash.

looks fun. i want it. is it being made for pc or is it some stupid xbox only bullshit?

Dan: I thought Sims and Myst were the best selling computer games ever?

They were, but they never outsold Windows at the time they were out.

Coopersville said:

It reminds me of The Thing game on the Xbox, but in space.

Yeah,The thing was a good game though.I'm hoping it leans more toward system shock

The only thing that got me interested at all about that trailer was seeing what I'm pretty sure was limb loss from the aliens which nobody seems to do theses days. I want a return to the AvP2 days of blasting aliens in half and having them still come after me hissing and snapping while dragging there upper body with there one remaining arm.

I wish doom 3 had that.

The thing with that is it's tricky to do dismemberment and retain ragdoll physics. Cos you have to split the skeleton, or build it so it can split. And then you hit the trap of things only falling off in preset places.. which is poor.

Better to have limbs falling off in preset places than not at all.

You can even disguise the "preset-ness" of it with huge sprays of blood like in HL2 (Remember that video where the guy playing carefully aimed his circular saw blades at the preset breaking-off points to make it look like the saws would cut the enemy any way you wanted but they actually wouldnt?)

Captain Red said:

The only thing that got me interested at all about that trailer was seeing what I'm pretty sure was limb loss from the aliens which nobody seems to do theses days. I want a return to the AvP2 days of blasting aliens in half and having them still come after me hissing and snapping while dragging there upper body with there one remaining arm.

I wish doom 3 had that.

Doom 3 did have limb dismemberment early on. The only zombie to have the proper mapping is the old yellow jacket zombie. Use no clip to see he has a severed neck stump and severed waist line as well.

I used to have a screen many moons ago but...

Dead Rising has dismemberment.