Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texas Libra

Indy 4...you gonna go see it?

I have to say that Indy 4 was one of the only movies in a LONG TIME (including Iron Man) where I really felt my ticket was worth the money. Fun from the first minute to the last.

A lot of people in the theater said it sucked. It's going to if you don't have the ability to believe in the unbelievable. You're also probably a boring person if this is the case.

Creaphis said:

I like how Indy personally encounters relics left behind by the gods themselves, yet he still seems to be an athiest in the intro to the third one.

Didn't you get it? The dust in the ark simply contained an extremely strong hallucinogen that spread in the air when the ark was opened. That's why it had to be locked up in a government warehouse.

Well, I liked it.

The main plot left much to be desired. There was no mystical air to the whole thing. At the same time, the bad guys didn't seem threatening at all (in fact, they were downright clumsy at times). And the worst part is the dialogue. Twenty years ago, I might have thought the dialogue was smart-- but today, it falls flat and there are some really groanworthy lines in there. I don't think the actors believed in the script any more than I did, because the delivery on some of them is just lifeless. I'm now convinced that George Lucas has the intelligence of a child. Or a growing tumor in his speech center.

Aside from all that, the movie's fun and automatically wins for being Indiana Jones. There are enough action scenes, jokes and fanservice moments to keep you going until the end.

Fredrik said:

Didn't you get it? The dust in the ark simply contained an extremely strong hallucinogen that spread in the air when the ark was opened. That's why it had to be locked up in a government warehouse.

Well that's an interesting interpretation. It doesn't explain the Angel of Death circling around Indy while his eyes were closed, however. And it doesn't explain the head explosion and melting flesh which conveniently dismantled his enemies either.

The Ark of the Covenant was supposedly unable to even be touched, and thus had to be carried by poles attached to it via rings. If you touched it, you would supposedly drop dead instantly, regardless of your intentions (the Bible contains a story of a man who reached out to steady the Ark when he thought it was going to fall during transport, and died as a result).

Only the High Priest was allowed to look upon the unveiled Ark in the Holiest of Holies, the inner sanctum of the temple. It was said to contain the presence of Jehova, which is elsewhere said to be capable of smiting a man by sight alone. So to actually open the Ark and look into it would have presumably caused quite a reaction, and this is what the movie is portraying, like it or not.

The dust inside the Ark I interpreted as the remnants of the artifacts which were supposed to be contained within it, including the original tablets bearing the Ten Commandments amongst others. It is also there in the plot to be a disappointment to the Nazis, who apparently think there will be some kind of weapon or other power they can harness within. Opening it and finding simple dust is like an anti-climax for them (swiftly followed by gory death).

These reported properties, along with the legend that the Israelites carried the Ark with them into their battles, have lead some (possibly crackpot) experts to suggest that the Ark could have been some sort of weapon. This is probably where the writers got the idea for the Nazi interest in it.

Technician said:

The dust is suppose to be the remnants of the smashed ten commandments.

Or the last five at least.

"I bring unto you these fifteen-" *DROP* *SMASH* "Ten! Ten Commandments for all to obey!"

Also, I really liked Temple of Doom. Didn't think the kid was that annoying, but the woman...yeesh.

Temple of Doom is either you like it or you don't... I never could get into it personally. Something about the atmosphere of it just always kinda turned me off.

I'm gonna go see Indy 4 in a couple of hours. I hope its enjoyable but I'm prepared to be a little disappointed just incase.

And I just got back from seeing it and I thought it was good, I enjoyed it. It didn't get raped like the star wars prequels or anything and actually still felt like Indiana Jones, even with all the changes.

Nope, not interested.

Saw the first three on tv recently and they all felt like average and boring 'adventure' movies, lacking any sort of believable plot and showing their age in a really bad way with the over the top action scenes.

Belial said:
Nope, not interested.

Saw the first three on tv recently and they all felt like average and boring 'adventure' movies, lacking any sort of believable plot and showing their age in a really bad way with the over the top action scenes.

You're a monster

I might see it. But then again, I have a dad who is the biggest fuck in the entire world. Knowing him, he won't drive me there or pay for tickets. I can't wait to get a job, or a drivers license

It was nice, not great (i have seen better movies), but worthy to go see in the theater. And yea, it's Indiana Jones, so go see it already!

I saw it. Was pretty entertained, although I still like the original trilogy better. I was so pumped when I saw the army ants scene, that was fucking sweet.

I would argue 3rd best in the series.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Last Crusade
Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls
Temple of Doom

Difficult to rate since the first 2 were so much fun. But I really enjoyed the film. I like how with the new era, 50s, brought a new tone to the film, 50s B Science Fiction. A nice touch.

i just saw it. i liked it a whole lot. very entertaining, loved the seemingly endless action scene that went from one thing to another. the old fat dude is an asshole. there is an opportunity for a sequel because of the kid. i probably just spoiled part of the movie.

After seeing it, my only complaint is the scene with the monkeys. Anyone who saw it will know what I'm talking about.

skadoomer said:

After seeing it, my only complaint is the scene with the monkeys. Anyone who saw it will know what I'm talking about.

I was just about to say the same thing, heh.

Okay, I saw it, and I more or less got what I was hoping for - Harrison ford miraculously is not hit by bullets for two hours of temple-bustin' action. Still, I felt that there were too many elements introduced into the story for any of them to be dealt with properly, and some feats of survival are simply too impossible. (Though maybe the crystal skull is protecting their lives all along...)

I watched Prince Caspian immediately afterwards and felt that it was put together much better overall.

Is everyone here a hyper-intense fanboy?

Because the movie was fun... kind of... at times... when it wasn't so absolutely totally ridiculously impossibly over-the-top so as to be totally laughable, which was most of the time. Granted, you're not supposed to take the movie seriously, but it was just TOOO much. One of the most ridiculous movies I've seen, bar none!

But somehow... worth seeing for the pure ridiculousness alone. Just don't expect any real style, suspense, or mystery!

Nick Perrin said:

Because the movie was fun... kind of... at times... when it wasn't so absolutely totally ridiculously impossibly over-the-top so as to be totally laughable, which was most of the time.

The only two moments that really jarred me out of the film were the refrigerator bit at the beginning, and the part with the monkeys that has already been mentioned. But I went in knowing that it was Indiana Jones -- over-the-top by definition. Well, the magnetic stuff that came up occasionally was silly and inconsistent as well.

But somehow... worth seeing for the pure ridiculousness alone. Just don't expect any real style, suspense, or mystery!

I have to disagree on the first count. However, suspense and mystery-wise, you're pretty on target. I never once felt the characters were in any real danger, or that the Soviets were actually threatening. Then again, I think that also is typical for the series and didn't bother me as much as I would have expected.

You're right. SO much less ridiculous than finding a magic box that has spirits in it, or a cup that can make you immortal... or guys that pull people's hearts out of their chests and lower them into scalding magma (or very close to it without burning). Never mind fights on top of tanks, holding onto 100ft falling bridges, 800 year old knights, surviving bomb blasts near your car, planes flying through tunnels next to you, outrunning a multitude of other bullets...

Nope much more ridiculous than the other Indiana Jones films.

Scuba Steve said:

Nope much more ridiculous than the other Indiana Jones films.

I haven't seen the others, which is a shame or so I hear.
In any case, the "test site" scene (won't spoil it for anyone) pretty much destroys anything else before it and after it ridiculousness-wise. The ending is also pretty damn crazy.

Yeah, the characters' ability to survive everything, without injury, aside from the typical Hollywood dribbles of red make-up, is far more extreme than it has ever been before. Not to mention the sudden affinity between the good guys and nature.

Also, this plot feels more ridiculous than the others as well, because none of the characters really seem to take it seriously. In the other movies, everyone is more focused on the significance of the magic relics, and is more emotionally involved in what happens to them, so that the viewers can also be drawn into the plot and feel its importance. In this movie, despite the constant fights over the skull, I couldn't feel like any of the characters really cared about it. And it was inevitable from the start that the skull would be returned to its rightful place with the bad guys present, so there isn't much suspense there to distract viewers from the crazy.