Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord_Z

My first decent map: Fort Assault

After awhile of debating with myself, I decided I would post some images of a map I have been working on for a few months now. I know it's not the best looking thing on the site but I would like to hear what people think of it. I'm working on a demo map so you can try it out but it needs a bit of tweaking still. There is a story to this map that develops as you get farther in, but the basic premise is that you were called in to investigate growing demon activity at an old fort. Anyway here are some pictures:

Looking down into an outpost.

This is what brought you to the drop off point.

The Marine camp.

An anti-air gun with it's crew...well, former crew.

Looking thorough the moat area.

If I can get this finished with good quality, it would be my first or second map (depends when Heretic Treasure Chest gets released). I know the lighting might be a problem but I don't think it's as dark as the pictures make it look. The lighting is something I'm thinking of changing. This map is also very large (1349 sectors at the moment) even if the few pictures don't portray that. I can post more pictures if people would like to see more later on. Anyway I'll leave it at that for the time being and I'm looking forward to seeing what people think. I'll get a demo up asap.

As a side note; does anyone know if it's possible to change the marines colors? Also, would it be better to move this into the Wads/Mods section?

Not bad. The dropship needs a bit more detail, but still ok. The marines are friendly, right?

Even if it were as dark as the pictures suggest, a few small light sources here and there might be enough to set the mood.
Good job, keep at it.

I agree on both of those points and will try to improve them. The ship was made in the very early stages of my map then I gradually got better with graphics and I didn't go back to improve some of earlier things. I plan to go back at some point but at the moment I'm working on going forward. Yes, the marines are friendly and I will change their colors, I just need to figure out how. Anyway I finished a demo of it;
fort demo.wad (It needs Zdoom or Skulltag to work properly)

It's only a small portion of the level because most of it needs work because right now, it's not beatable in single player (amongst other things). I'll work more on making it beatable so people can get a better idea about it, but this should be good for now.

Apart from ZDoom's checkerboard texture trying to spoil the atmosphere you're creating it looks like your off to a good start. I like the way you treat players who jump the barricade. :-)

Aww, shoot. I did not understand what you meant at first about the checkerboard thing but then I remembered that I did use some textures from Skulltag. Hmm, it looks like there is more work to be done than I thought. Would I be allowed to place the textures that I used from ST, into my wad?

Lord_Z said:

Would I be allowed to place the textures that I used from ST, into my wad?

That's probably a question for the Skulltag forums. If the answer is NO - I think I've found your sky testure here and Afterglow's texture page might have the others.

Thanks for the links GreyGhost, there are some very interesting textures there. I'll have to look at the skulltag forums to see if I can find anything about their textures. If I can't use them I'll have to go back and redo some areas.