Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric Vaughn

What are some good underrated wads?

I've played all the big name wads, like AV, DV, Requiem etc. I'm wondering if there are any good wads out there that didn't really get as much attention as they deserved?

I always loved E1 replacements, this was my favorite.

E1M9 is legendary. It uses extensive fake shadows for outdoor areas. it looks nice and it plays well. This is how E1 should have been. Better than KDiZD imo

Janitor said:

I always loved E1 replacements, this was my favorite.

I'm only on level 2 of this thing so far I say this: This is okay, but it mixes in some elements from E2 (e2 exit on e1m2) and that blue e2 texture. Some of the areas look *too* close to e1m7 on e1m2. It also doesn't make use of blinking lights for hint to secrets. So one secret was just hitting everything to find it.

Hellbent said:
it mixes in some elements from E2 (e2 exit on e1m2) and that blue e2 texture.

Which it does on purpose, because it didn't attempt to be strictly KDITD styled.

I liked it too but the vixens ruined it. On co-op there's even more of them so it's worse.

Oh and Claustrophobia is a great one.

Neodoom was ok after all the crap content (some of the new weapons and monsters) was removed. Unfortunately that took me the better part of a day.

TheAdmantArchvile said:

I always thought NeoDoom was underrated. I think I'm the only doomer that liked it

Hey, I liked that wad. Was a good wad to play when I was bored actually. The levels were alright but the weapons were just amazing. Music was pretty crappy though, apart from level 29.

Garrulo is an underrated one-man megawad. Its fun, and the maps generally have interesting design. Nazis are usually placed in the maps around regular monsters, but I don't mind small stuff like that.

Cleimos 2 is an old but good megawad. Has some really interesting themes in it. Beware, it can be incredibly frustrating.

Demon Eclipse should be the best exemple of good underrated wad ever.

Naan said:

Demon Eclipse should be the best exemple of good underrated wad ever.

It's still in progress I guess (and I wait anxiously to play the current beta because in my current computer GZDoom freeze every 30 seconds so I look around with a nice matrix effect).

I also loved Neo Doom, but everybody went on "lol copy & paste" kick. I suspect some inherent prejudice against Daniel after his bizarre and unnessescary campaign against Doomworld and attempts to restart the Newdoom/Doomworld "war" YEARS after it had ended, was a part of that, however unintentionally.

You can berate EB doom for copy and pasting but they still had to re-create the DDF code (and they where also trying to replicate behaviour from other games) and name and convert masses of sprites from other wads/games/engines, then add sounds etc etc. Which must still have taken a lot of effort even if it was pretty pointless. Neo Doom was like an EB doom with imagination (graphics and sounds might have been taken from other places but these where different monsters than just ports from other games) and good levels. In fact i might make another go at playing through over the summer, i got quite far then upgraded zdoom and couldnt load the old saves