Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Custom created monsters?

*What I do*

I reccomend you use Tormentor667's website beastiary just to make it easier. Open the monster wad with a wad editor such as XWE. Highlight the DECORATE file and read the line that says "Thing Id" and record the number next to it. When you make a map, to use that monster, double click on a thing while in the thing editor and change the things Thing Id to that of your monster. Make sure when you are done the map, you uses XWE's "merge" option to merge your map with the monster wad, or you can run both wads simultaneously. Make sure you are using Zdoom, or Skulltag. Any other port will cause it to crash.

That's pretty easy, and so is merging your wad with the monster one, but what about using MULTIPLE custom monsters? I can just use DooM Builder to save my map file into thee first monster, but I'm assuming there can be only one decorate lump and all of that so in XWE you'd copy / paste another monster wad into the first one but than take the contents of the second decorate, put them into the first, and move the sprites between the same start / end thingies?

It's easy. For the first monster you just save your wad into the respective mosnter.wad file (keep backups!). For the second you'll need to go into XWE. First, load up another monster WAD and copy all of the second creatures' sprites between the markers. Than paste them in your first WAD between those same ones, they should be lumped with the first creature's sprites, all between only two markers.

Than go to the soundlump and combine its content with the one from your soon-to-be multi-monster WAD. Copy / paste it in than take its content and combine it into one file. Same with the decorate lumps, there should ultimately be one decorate file with multiple actors declared, one sound lump, etc.

Also, be warned... there are some creatures on Tormenter's site that seem to be broken and won't load (Thor, Avatar, etc), so be sure you can use them by themselves before combining them so you know it's not something you did.

My own snag though is this - does anybody know how to upload with FireZilla???? I can log in, but when I try to drag a file in /incoming it says there's another computer with my IP address already in use! What's up with that....!?

This actually sounds simaler to what we do over in the SRB2 community, only instead of merging into the "monster's wad", we would merge the monster into the level's wad.

glaber said:

This actually sounds simaler to what we do over in the SRB2 community, only instead of merging into the "monster's wad", we would merge the monster into the level's wad.

It would seem to be a moot point as to which WAD is merged into which other since the two would become one either way. It's probably just a matter of personal preference which method you like. =)

Yeah that's what I actually meant, lol. You save your WAD into a single creature WAD, (which becomes the new 'your wad') than use XWE to merge other monster WADs into this one.

CodenniumRed said:

Also, be warned... there are some creatures on Tormenter's site that seem to be broken and won't load (Thor, Avatar, etc)

I tried Thor and he worked well for me.Thx for the help guys.

CodenniumRed said:

My own snag though is this - does anybody know how to upload with FireZilla???? I can log in, but when I try to drag a file in /incoming it says there's another computer with my IP address already in use! What's up with that....!?

Ty only allows one connection per computer to /incoming. Go into Settings/Transfers and set Maximum simultaneous transfers: to 1. That should solve your problem.

CodenniumRed said:

Also, be warned... there are some creatures on Tormenter's site that seem to be broken and won't load (Thor, Avatar, etc), so be sure you can use them by themselves before combining them so you know it's not something you did.

Errr... could you send me a pm about which ones do not work? O_o

Alright will do! There's this new Terminator creature for example that I couldn't get to work. :( I'll PM you later when I get a bigger list.

And thanks Grey! Will give that a try!

Crap it still says "421 Sorry, there is already 1 user from ##.###.###.## logged on. Try again in 10 minutes."

I JUST changed the the option though, should I wait?

Right

i got a little bit of a problem, probably brought on by myself.

i merged ALL monsters from the 667 bestiary, as they all own and i want to freely be able to pick any monster while making a map without having to merge custom wads for every map. it took me a while but i thinki did it right.

now i did as said in this topic. all picturefiles are between start and end, all soundfiles are together and i merged all decorates in one and all sdinfo's into one.

As for my question:
is there any other reason besides duplicate monster/actornumbers that could stop this wad from working?

and also the faulty monsters as said before like terminator or thor do they stop your wad from working?

please help, thanx in advance for anything :P

p.s. i can post the decorate or the sdinfo if anyone wants to have a look

I'm interested; also u can check out my level to see how i combined them as well. Until I look at yours I can't be sure if it's jsut how u combined it, or in fact u did ti correctly and it's just a buggy creature.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tjylzoezzyx

there it is, the decorate and sdinfo.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3s2mnbzyb1m
this might help/be easier, just the monsternumbers, although i might have accidentally deleted one that didnt have a number.
i just finished this so havent overlooked it myself yet, which i will. just wanted to post it asap so you wouldnt miss it.

thanx in advance

p.s. some monsters dont have numbers, can i give them numbers myself (any random unused one) or is there something i should do with it?

Ok checked it out! The ones without numbers won't let the wad work until they have numbers, and if it still doesn't work it's at least because of the individual creatures that are put in, sometimes it could just be a problem from the monster code in the first place, not something you did.

So it's best to check out exactly WHAT the error messages are because they'll often point you to a specific line of code... which is also why it's better to test out each creature individually, than merge things one at a time, and keep backups, when attempting something like this - again, to know it's not something you did and pinpoint other problems easier.

- CodenniumRed

P.S: Speaking of which, ever check out my level? It's really quick to play through though there are some challenging parts.... ;)

CodenniumRed said:
Ok checked it out! The ones without numbers won't let the wad work until they have numbers, and if it still doesn't work it's at least because of the individual creatures that are put in, sometimes it could just be a problem from the monster code in the first place, not something you did.

Right, so can i just put random numbers there (albeit unused ofcourse)

CodenniumRed said:
So it's best to check out exactly WHAT the error messages are because they'll often point you to a specific line of code... which is also why it's better to test out each creature individually, than merge things one at a time, and keep backups, when attempting something like this - again, to know it's not something you did and pinpoint other problems easier.

Error message? only thing i get is questionmarks if i put in the monstercode in DB :o sooo i dunno. p.s. do i NEED to merge it into levels, as at the moment i load it up on a new level seperatly as megamonsterwad.wad (in additional textures or flats from wad file, which worked for single monsters)

- Syko

CodenniumRed said:
P.S: Speaking of which, ever check out my level? It's really quick to play through though there are some challenging parts.... ;)

Link? i want to.. :P (im such a lazy ahole)