Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Natural Disaster Survivors

Yesterday 6 tornadoes touched down in northern colorado. The storm destroyed the nearby town of Windsor and caused massive damage to places near my apartment. The hail practically destroyed my car and its impossible to go anywhere because of all the debris. Yet, amazingly, only 1 person was killed and 16 were hurt. This is the biggest storm system we've had through here in a long time. Tornados happen here, but not this powerful.

more information

I was wondering if anyone else has lived through a natural disaster here and how it affected them? For one, I really realized the value of hail insurance and basements.

Huh, I didn't know there was anyone else who lived in Colorado here. That or I forgot :)

As far as natural disasters go, I haven't experienced anything major. While I was in Japan I felt a couple of earthquakes, with one that was somewhat strong, but nothing damaging. I have had to take shelter due to tornadoes here in Colorado, though. I vaguely remember one touching down in Thornton, which is nearby to me, back when I was in elementary school.

A month ago while driving to school I took a backroad and drove right into a massive storm cloud that about five minutes after I got out of it apparently turned into a tornado and hit the small town I had just driven out of. I was glad I left early that day.

I once got stuck in a car during a flash flood. We were able to kick out the windows and climb out before the water got neck deep. The car was ruined and the insurance company replaced it for us.

Just a couple of earthquakes that tormented me like ten years ago in my childhood; I believe the strongest one that I've witnessed was a 5.6~

I was too young to remember a huge flood... in fact I've born one month after I believe.

There was earthquakes here not too long ago maybe you've heard of it! They were worse than Northridge which I also experienced during my brief times in California USA in 1994.
The Northridge cracked a few ceilings in the rooms but nothing really crumbled. I can't say the same about the recent earthquake and aftershock though... poor computer :(

Yeah, I heard there were tornado warning across California a day or two ago. Pretty weird.

Closest I got to a tornado was one that spawned in the Inlet and went towards the area where I went to school. The bus had to take the long way home. It was pretty weak and just ruined a few people's yards and blocked a road or two. Tornadoes are very rare around here, and happen like once a decade and are never more than F1s.

I've been in a few earthquakes, the biggest one being the 6.8 Nisqually earthquake. I also slept through Hurricane Gloria when I was a baby.

Worst things I can remember is a severe T-Storm which ripped off a hugre tree limb that destroyed my neighbors front yard. Then there the year Hurricane Isabelle managed to get up here and knock down some trees plus the power for about a week. There was also the blizzard back in 1996, but thats about it. Nothing too serious up here

Australia is a sucker for Bushfires. It's just a part of life down here. Every 2 years my neighbourhood burns down. The bush spends the next year regenerating, and then burns down again the next year. We're used to it.

KATRINA BITCHES

shit, that and Ivan. Fuck Ivan. ruined everything. it was the only storm in my lifetime that had the balls to come back to sea, get strong again, and HIT TWICE. tree fell on my car, roof ripped to shreds.

The only thing that could be considered a "disaster" was the blizzard of '96 but that kicked ass. Damn I love the snow, good thing I don't drive yet!

My friend bought "Raw Danger" from a bargin bin the other day, and we played it on his PS2 for a bit.

Seriously though, two tornadoes. Neither of them passed by the building I was in at the time, so the worst that I got was an almost flooded basement.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'm a Katrina survivor, I didn't give a shit. It did not affect me at all. My dog however, despite surviving the hurricane, died of throat cancer a month later.

My family and I stayed in Texas for like two weeks. It was pretty awesome mooching off of a bunch of extremely rich bastards.

We had an earthquake in the UK it was quite hairy:

Attached is a photo illustrating the damage caused to our house from the
earthquake that occurred.

It really makes you cherish what you have, and reminds us not to take
things for granted.

Do take care of yourself and be safe.

Shit, Fodders beat me to the Lincoln 'quake of 2008. I was only 15 miles from the epicentre, and 7 floors up, so it felt pretty powerful. Bloke in my flat decided to then have an earthquake party that went on until half 7 the next morning, with fat northern twats laughing loudly. Tossers

I was also alive during the great storm of '87, but remember nothing (was 2 or 3). Apparently it was bigger and more powerful than a hurricane and could potentially happen again in a few years, though normally when they do they miss Britain and Norway and go up north, it just so happened in 1987 the jet stream had shifted south and carried it right into London, via areas on the south coast where big static caravans (aka "trailers" that stereotyped rednecks stay in) where lifted right off the ground

Got hit with a "wall of wind" as they described it. an inland hurricane officialy. winds were reported up to around 120 in some outer lying areas, but had an average of about 80-90 mph. it was a freak cold front just outside of chicago and then it gained strength as it past over a hot and humid lake michigan/southwetern michigan/indiana. dont ask me how i remember all this, it was a long time ago. well anyway we had a large double trunk tree in our front yard that split and one fell onto our house and a limb punctured right thru the living room ceiling. and the rain was real heavey too, and it just poured into the house like someone was dumping barrels of water down, just totaly un-believable at the time that i would ever witness anything like this. it completely shut down the metro area for about three weeks for clean-up. any metro detroiters around my age may remember this storm and perhaps know more about it than i do or remember. but it totaly wiped out trees/power lines and some homes all thru the metro detroit area.

Edit: all right this will embarrassingly enough reveal my age but i found an article on it here: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/stories/1980derecho.php (scroll down a tad to get right to the storm itself) i do believe i received my drivers license a month earlier, i was 16. most of the info i remember from it was from local news reports.