Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Super Mario RPG Compilation Album!

From the launch site (http://gamemusic4all.com/heavytroopa.html):

"Heavy Troopa is Ready to Launch!

This compilation is a tribute and celebration of the amazing and wonderful game Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. this is a three disc album that recreates nearly all the songs and scenes from the 1996 Nintendo/Squaresoft game. There are many amazing and diverse artists and bands lending their skill to commemorate this pinnacle of video game entertainment . . ."

Album Covers:

I contributed two tracks to this compilation, "Hard working Moles are Good Moles" and "The End" as "8-bit Philharmonic" (remaking the tracks in orchestral style). Go check this album out now at the link below if you like video game music at all! It's free and full of great tunes!

http://gamemusic4all.com/heavytroopa.html

Check out more 8-bit Philharmonic at myspace.com/8bitphilharmonic

Heavy Troopa's rock, BTW. ;)

I remember playing Super Mario RPG years ago back before Wii and Xbox 360s were the lastest in gaming technology and I still look back on it with fond memories. The battle music I remember is still better than a lot of gaming music and was probably my favorite element of the game. I plan to give this a listen sometime. =)

Unless there are metal covers of anything, I'd rather not download 90MB worth of music in one zip. The samples on the 8-bit Philharmonic MySpace were fairly enjoyable, though.

Coopersville said:

Unless there are metal covers of anything, I'd rather not download 90MB worth of music in one zip. The samples on the 8-bit Philharmonic MySpace were fairly enjoyable, though.

A few of the songs tread into metal territory. Most of them remain pretty synthy though, not garage band stuff.

Alright. Some of the tracks of just little sound effects are kind of a waste of space, and there are quite a few tracks that sound like they're pretty much directly midi ripped. With that said...

My favorite tracks:

Disc 1:

6 - Still, the Road is Full of Dangers
13- The Road is Full of Dangers
16 - Beware The Forest's Mushrooms (Pretty much any take on this song will sound good because of the source material)
23 - Flubber Mountain. As always MazeDude delivers
25 - Booster Tower. OneUps are also always awesome. Their first album still gets play in my car often.

Disc 2:

7 - Here's Some Weapons
10 - Castle in the Sky

Before I continue with my favorites, I can't believe that track 13, the major boss theme, was butchered so terribly. Thanks a lot Lucas Park!

19 - Where Am I Going? (Would've liked to have seen him stray from the repetitive theme but there is some nice production value here)
20 - Rekoopa Kickback
22- The End - 8-Bit Philharmonic (Arguably the best track of the project if it's your thing)

B-Sides:

14 - The first minute or so of Shin P's a Grate Guy (I turned this track into a rap once and now I think I have to do it again)

Ultimately, some gems in here but unfortunately there is so much non-quality ideas accompanying them that I would, at most, only burn some of the above tracks to one disc with some other non-relevant mixes to a disc.

That's the nature of a soundtrack remix project though. A lot of hit or miss most of the time.

I was quite partial to all the Clulex songs, which is kind of ironic because I dislike Final Fantasy; but then again I'm pretty sure my SMRPG cart still has a slot primed to play Clulex, most epic fight in RPG history.

Ralphis said:

22- The End - 8-Bit Philharmonic (Arguably the best track of the project if it's your thing)

Why thank you, much appreciated. Spent a lot of time making that one.

The rest of your favourites are pretty much the same as mine. I agree that this album lacks consistency, but there is much to enjoy in there. The albums allowed anybody to jump on board, which is why there's so much music and why quality fluctuates. In any case you get a nice wide diverse set of interpretations.

Coming around next month or so is the GameMusic4All 2nd Anniversary Compilation. This compilation is one you are selected for, rather than just being able to jump on the bandwagon. As such it should be pretty damn good. The source material being covered is, well... any video game. (Or video-game inspired music.) I managed to get on this one - doing a Castlevania:Symphony of the Night orchestral piece/medley.

Nick Perrin said:

Coming around next month or so is the GameMusic4All 2nd Anniversary Compilation. This compilation is one you are selected for, rather than just being able to jump on the bandwagon. As such it should be pretty damn good.

Any more info on this? Maybe I'll take a crack at it as my musical obligations are going to begin freeing up next month

Ralphis said:

Any more info on this? Maybe I'll take a crack at it as my musical obligations are going to begin freeing up next month

It's too late to contribute (deadline already passed a few days ago), but the album itself is coming soon. I finally finished and got my track in...

More info at http://gamemusic4all.blogspot.com/

I love the music in mario rpg, definitely going to check this one out!