Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

New Risen3D?

I've just been over at the Risen 3D site and it looks like a new version was released about a week ago. In addition, there have been updates to existing model packs and maps to work with the new version and Sitters' new map "Doomdragon" is there too. I haven't downloaded it yet as I'll need quite a bit of time for my slow connection to get all those files.

I haven't noticed it mentioned anywhere else but, if it hasn't been, surely someone who knows a bit more of the details than me should post a news item?

http://risen3d.newdoom.com/

Sound works fine for me in Vista. Just make sure you add Risen3D to ALchemy.

I believe they are having some minor issues with the auto-installer (it isn't registering the dlls used by the launcher correctly under Vista 64) hence why the release hasn't been announced yet (I presume they intend to make a further release imminently).

Note that I was unable to run this latest Risen3D without also installing the modelpacks.

Doesn't work well with FreeDOOM. It tries to force doom derived 'enhanced graphics' over things. Isn't that illegal for a GPL engine to forcefully include those in its base package? Ditto for the non-Free Half-Life sounds as well

leileilol said:

Isn't that illegal for a GPL engine to forcefully include those in its base package?

No. According to the GPL's logic that's 'mere aggregation'. You could theoretically run a completely proprietary and copyrighted game with a GPL engine.

leileilol said:

Doesn't work well with FreeDOOM.

Utter rubbish ! Works very well with FreeDoom. If you are having problems - and I cant see why - run it in basic doom mode. I have actually made some fixes - maps and such - for FreeDoom, so I know what I'm talking about.

DaniJ is right ( I know you have been in correspondence with Abbs ;) ). Just some minor issues to work out and another release done shortly.

I was advised by Abbs not to make an official announcement until the whole team was happy with the release and receive an ok from him first.

Fair enoughski. I'll hold off on the downloads until the "proper" version is out but I'm looking forward to playing with this new version and trying out Doomdragon.

DoomDragon is awsome this is my favorite map by sitters.
with chiller castle on risen3d.
I am stuck at the end though ,maybe I missed something.

I wonder if sitter want to make a gzdoom version.

DoomKn1ght said:

I am stuck at the end though ,maybe I missed something.

I wonder if sitter want to make a gzdoom version.

I'm guessing you have powered down the launch facility and are wondering why the game has not ended ?

HINTS --- force fields ? Mine destruction ? ---

There will be no GZDoom version.

hawkwind said:

I'm guessing you have powered down the launch facility and are wondering why the game has not ended ?

HINTS --- force fields ? Mine destruction ? ---

There will be no GZDoom version.

Well I have triggered some switches and broke some blue energy vats
and then I am stuck in the part between mine and rockets.

To begin with I was quite enjoying DoomDragon but it soon turned into nothing more than a switch hunt.

Normally, that would be fine (this is DOOM after all) however the problem being that because of the new-found scripting features of Risen3D; I had absolutely no idea what might trigger events and further my progress and what didn't. Thus after ten mins of wall/valve/rock humping and shooting random objects on top of seemingly, a complete lack of hints other than "you can't do X yet", I gave up on the map and never got to see the end (which hopefully is worth seeing?).

Heh, I still need to install this. I've been looking forward to DoomDragon for a while now. :)

DoomKn1ght said:

I am stuck in the part between mine and rockets.

I'm thinking that you haven't yet destroyed the 6 energy rods, where the 6 energy shields were\are ?

OK, I couldn't resist and downloaded everything. Doomdragon is indeed impressive. I like it a lot. The use of models is so total (as it often is with Sitters' maps) that it is hard to tell where Doom architecture stops and models start. It's a tough map with lots of hitscan enemies, but I quite like that.

I too was stuck at the same point as DoomKn1ght and I'm guessing my solution is the same as what he needs. I'd blown the 6 enery thingys but I still needed to find the plunger for the TNT in the mine. I wandered all over the place until I noticed a none-too obvious little panel in the area in front of the TNT cave where there is a ceiling grill where some of those knights drop in to see you. If you open that little panel, you may well find what you are looking for.

I really like Sitters' new gore models (mainly then hanging corpses). They aren't as faithful to the sprites as some models, but I think they look really good and gory. The hanging guys really look as if their deaths (assuming that they are dead) were very unpleasant.