Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Lost Season 4 Finale (SPOILERS)

Are there any Lost fans on this forum? How does everyone feel about tonight's finale? It was pretty cool in my opinion, I'm really happy for Desmond. He finally got peace.

Also I can't wait for Season 5 now :P

I just finished the 3rd season a month ago. I'll have to wait for the 4th season DVD to come out to see it.

It seems to me that lost has lost (no pun intended) a lot of what made it a good show. i really loved the first and second seasons, but now it just seems like any other drama. it just doesnt have that mysterious element anymore that i fell in love with. its still fun to watch, but not quite the same. in all honesty, i was entirely dissatisfied with that ending and would have preferred to have some entirely different outcome.

Janitor said:

It seems to me that lost has lost (no pun intended) a lot of what made it a good show. i really loved the first and second seasons, but now it just seems like any other drama.

Thank you for describing every single TV drama in existence.

A major problem with this style of TV is: while these shows tell a grand story, instead of having every episode isolated from every other, they're designed to never actually end. Those responsible for these shows' production (and usually the writers as well) want to keep a popular brand alive for as long as possible. So, any grand narrative structure is diluted, weakened, destroyed, and the viewers will eventually get bored and wander off. I would have huge respect for a production staff that could end a show's existence on a strong resolution before the plot starts to meander. Instead, what we get is producers who keep poking and prodding their old properties trying to get a jolt of fresh interest. A symptom of this is the season-finale-cliffhanger; if a show is actually still enjoyable and going strong, then season endings can be written that are actually conclusive - because the shows' viewers will want to see more episodes, and will come back in the fall regardless. But no, producers fear for the lives of their shows, so they put their heroes on the brink of death in the spring just to revive them to health in the fall, in hopes that this will keep viewers on the edges of their seats all summer (though I just find it incredibly annoying).

I've never watched even a second of Lost, actually. This is just some general ranting.

Notice how Locke apparently told the Oceanic Six that "some very bad things happened" after they left. Damnit John, what did you do now?

Creaphis said:

A major problem with this style of TV is: while these shows tell a grand story, instead of having every episode isolated from every other, they're designed to never actually end. Those responsible for these shows' production (and usually the writers as well) want to keep a popular brand alive for as long as possible. So, any grand narrative structure is diluted, weakened, destroyed, and the viewers will eventually get bored and wander off. I would have huge respect for a production staff that could end a show's existence on a strong resolution before the plot starts to meander. Instead, what we get is producers who keep poking and prodding their old properties trying to get a jolt of fresh interest. A symptom of this is the season-finale-cliffhanger; if a show is actually still enjoyable and going strong, then season endings can be written that are actually conclusive - because the shows' viewers will want to see more episodes, and will come back in the fall regardless. But no, producers fear for the lives of their shows, so they put their heroes on the brink of death in the spring just to revive them to health in the fall, in hopes that this will keep viewers on the edges of their seats all summer (though I just find it incredibly annoying).

I've never watched even a second of Lost, actually. This is just some general ranting.

Lost is actually planned out though, it dies after the 6th season. I know what you mean, but in this case, they have a plan for Lost and always have had one.

I recently watched all 5 seasons and am somewhat interested in the series, so, like Locke, I thought I'd revive the discussion on LOST.

I just signed up with an archaeology forum to see if I might be able to dig up some possibilities on the island's origins, and where the writers of the show might be going with it. Some have suggested Atlantis, but Atlantis was pretty big. Although we've never gotten an aerial of the island, so we actually don't know how big it might be. I have to agree with one poster, though, that the show is no longer generating the level of interest, mystery, suspense and 'wow' factor that it did in the first two seasons. All the flash forwarding ruined it I think. The show would be much better if they had just kept telling it chronologically in normal storytelling fashion instead of trying to be cool or whatever with the time warp confusofest. As soon as it started flash forwarding to people off the island (starting with Jack on a bridge) the show ceased to hold my interest like in the early days (which were only a month ago for me!) Not to mention the show has gotten kind of ridiculous with the time travel element. I enjoyed the show more when peoples' behavior and the events that transpired were more in the realm of the relatively possible and believable while being mystical.

I've seen to the end of season 3. It's a great show with enough plot twists and cliff hangers to keep you watching, but not really overdone like a bad soap opera. I was really sad about Charlie. He was one of my favorite characters. :(

Danarchy said:

I've seen to the end of season 3. It's a great show with enough plot twists and cliff hangers to keep you watching, but not really overdone like a bad soap opera. I was really sad about Charlie. He was one of my favorite characters. :(

Yeah, me too, but at least the way he died was heroic and very well done (imo)--instead of random and tragic like the show was making you think he would.