Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

New map wanna playtest?

I recently found an couple of old sketches of map layouts, none of those sketches were never turned into an playable doom map.So I spend some hours making the first one, and to add an bit of an challenge I thought lets make it playable on doom95.

Gameplay is pretty tough and pretty hard on some occasions, the map is very linear and has low amounts of detail.It should run fine on just about any sourceport out there, I have tested it with an couple of ports.

Download link:
http://www.speedyshare.com/779198379.html textfile included

Some screens:

Very nice wad. I like the frantic race for the shotgun at the beginning.

Nice map! I just finished playing it in Eternity, didn't notice any bugs.

I like the theme. It looks really good without using any external resources (none that I could see, at least). The gameplay got pretty tough and I had to iddqd a couple times around the ending, but I suck at Doom anyway. :P

Was the e1m3 start area influence intentional?

Cool map Dutch. =)

One thing I want to mention is that I like when you see a secret early on in the map and wonder how to get it and then find the way later in the level. Also, All the traps kept things fun. I also like it when I see the BFG and I'm like "Hmm... I wonder what kind of demon mob I have to blow away for this weapon?" =P

Anyway, everything looks good to me in terms of bug-hunting, so nice job! It just depends if everything is to your liking whether or not the map is done. =)

I noticed that in some of the nukage pits in the 2 teleporter room have no exits.

Damn good map dutch, you should expand/enlarge it and include it in first maps of your upcoming megawad ;)

I spent awhile trying to beat it with the goal of not getting hit a single time but failed. The inescapable pits caused some annoying restarts at first. Some quirks I noticed are near the place where 2 pain elementals appear, you can avoid the teleport triggering linedef by crossing to that skinny ledge between 2 pits (not sure if intentional). Also at the part when you open a door and see a lone zombie man, just cross to the other side without shooting (the teleporting enemies will remain dormant. This also allows them to infight with the cyber later).

@Esselfortium yeah the start was very E1M3-ish, I guess that map inspired me when I was drawing that sketch.You are correct no other recources are used, I don't really need them to make an good map.Doom2 textures never get boring for me.

@Rf yes some nukage pits are inescapable, the ones which you can't get out of do maximum damage.Maybe I should fix that I dunno.

@Gggmork Whoops thanks a ton one bug has slipped through :p thats not supposed to happen.The part with the lone zombie needs some fixing as well, it is also possible to skip the cyber fight when you find the secret.

Argh I hate bugs :p

Here is the drawing I worked from, the map layout isn't 100% accurate to the drawing.I had to add some more rooms cause the drawing wasn't finished.I couldn't find an exit on the drawing, and I had to add monster closets here and there and some detail.

And how it turned out:

I thought you peeps would like to know an littlebit of history behind the map :p

Thanks for showing us the sketch... I was interested to see it. Your sketches are so much better than mine. I'm lucky most of the time if I can even read my pencil sketches. XP

Anyway, I think a cool way to prevent the last secret teleport from allowing the player to skip the Cyb fight would be to make the lifedefs from the revenant turrent teleport the player back to the secret teleport, since a bunch of teleports are already strung together anyway. Just a thought. =)

I see I'm not alone to draw my maps before hand =)
I'll test your map soon dude, looks promising.

I've got an whole pile of sketches, I'm attempting an new map atm.Its an crappy boxy layout not sure if this one will turn out nice.

I've fixed all bugs on the map it flows better now.

This is what I've made of my second drawing so far, when this one is completed I'll join both maps together and upload it.This map will be hell themed, I'm going to add an new sky sooner or later and some new music.The bottom shot needs some more work I'm not satisfied with it, both maps will be playable on doom95.

Double post huzzah!!

Also in the first map you can avoid the big bfg fight by running into the room to awake the shotgun guys then running out without shooting in that room. Instead shoot them from outside the room and the teleport enemies remain dormant. (probably best to have all outside teleporting enemies be joined to a sector that you almost *******ely have to shoot in to assure they won't be dormant).

You are right again I have an few sound blocking linedefs near that room, if I flag them off it would fix it.Then I just make the four shotgunners deaf, it should be completely bugfree after that.

Were the secrets too hard to find? cause sometimes I think I hide them too well.

Screenshots from second map look really nice :) would love to playtest the map

I found the plasma gun and megasphere the first time I think. Those are the only ones I can think of so if there's more I guess I havn't found them.

There are four secrets in total I think you have missed the blue armor secret, its close to the plasmagun secret and Pain Elementals seem to like blue armors :p

dutch devil said:

Were the secrets too hard to find? cause sometimes I think I hide them too well.

I found all 4 the first time and they were all marked, so they seems fair to me. =)

And now, my review. When I opened the door I saw WAY too many imps and pinkys. I fought most of em of my pistol. Afterwards, I got the shotgun and cleaned up. In the next door, I swiftly K.O'd them with my boomstick. Once I saw the super shotgun, I thought it would be all easy street...

How wrong I was...

You are a devilish man putting several cacodemons and a mancubus in there. I got out somehow when I turned and saw arachnotrons...

"You got to be kidding me..." I thought. I killed the chaingun guy and started to snipe the arachnotrons with it. They went down pretty easy. After I pulled the switch and fought off the pain elementals, I headed to the blue key and the rocket launcher and then, poof, Hell knights everywhere. Using my the rocket launcher I rightfully earned, I went straight to the blue door. The revenants didn't put up much of a fight, (Thank god for pain chances.) and I jumped over to the pillar to get my cells. I opened the next door and then before I knew it, BAM, monsters warping to me like no tomorrow. Thankfully, the infighting came into action and I ran and hid like a F-ing wuss and let them duke it out. After their little brawl, I cleaned out the herd and stood in awe to see the mess of ammo in front of me. You run out of ammo pretty darn quick in this level so I appreciated any sort of help I could get. I loved what you did with the scenery, the mess of dead monsters with the marine who bled to death, it was, in fact, great storytelling. I gazed on the BFG which would, no doubt, help me. I wanted to save it's ammo, but the trap that sprung on me forced me to use it. And then, well, well, what a surprise. A cyberdemon. After my epic battle I went to the red door.

It was quiet....too quiet...I collected everything pushed the button then RAN LIKE HELL TO THE EXIT! An Arch-vile stood in the way but my BFG fixed him I was thank fuly there was only one. I ran to the switch, praying for sweet freedom...DENIED! Two revenants surrounded me and I ran for it. In the halls, I saw plenty of imps and knights, and also the monsters I neglected to kill in the back room were coming over. I had no choice I had to go go another room and door-fight them off. Then afterwards, I killed the last chaingun guy and hit the exit.

This wad is difficult for even the veterans. But I guarantee you'll get a kick out of it. Good show, Dutch devil, good show.

Good night and godspeed!

Hehe nice review I liked reading it.Its an hard map I know but it flows pretty good, better than I expected.The new one will be just as hard, maybe even harder it depends on my mood :p

The new map is about 40% done, hope you like marble its gonna be very green.Are there any people interested in playing the improved tech map?

dutch devil said:

Hehe nice review I liked reading it.Its an hard map I know but it flows pretty good, better than I expected.The new one will be just as hard, maybe even harder it depends on my mood :p

The new map is about 40% done, hope you like marble its gonna be very green.Are there any people interested in playing the improved tech map?

I'll re-test your tech map for you if you'd like Dutch. =)

BTW, I like the difficulty of your maps (but I'm crazy... I thought the last episode of Scythe2 and HR2 were loads of fun on UV. XP) Anyway, I think the difficulty of you maps is tough enough to be a good challenge, yet managable at the same time. =) That way, the player is kept on his or her toes, but has options if things get too difficult. >=D

Oh yes, more dutch devil maps :D Count me in for beta testing please dutch :D I love your maps, in fact I'm downloading that one in the first post now :P

I thought it was time for another update sorry for double posting, the map is about 75% done so far.And still runs fine on doom95 I'm pretty sure I'm close to the limit of what doom95 can handle, though I'm not 100% sure how much stuff I can add.I've taken some shots in Risen3D for an change, looks quite sexy despite the limited amount of detail.

Plenty of traps its gonna be an hard map, the size of the map is about the same as my tech map.It has an good amount of secrets and it supports dm and coop as well.I call it The Temple of Acheron and I've taking inspiration from some doom1 levels and my drawing of course.It should give players that classic feeling when playing.

Mapshot:

I would have posted some shots while playing it with doom95, but I couldn't figure out where to type -devparm.

dutch devil said:

looks quite sexy despite the limited amount of detail.

Plenty of traps its gonna be an hard map, the size of the map is about the same as my tech map.It has an good amount of secrets and it supports dm and coop as well.I call it The Temple of Acheron and I've taking inspiration from some doom1 levels and my drawing of course.It should give players that classic feeling when playing.

Did your inspiration come from the map "Crossing Acheron" perhaps. ;)

Anyway, I think the map looks perfectly fine as is. Maps do not need tons of detail to look good. What you have here is a consistant theme and that is what makes maps look good.

BTW, are you going to post your sketch for this map too? I'd like to see it. =)

Yep I'll post the drawing as well as soon as this map is finished, it should be done this week.This map is going to take some more time, its design is more complex than my tech map.

My map wasn't inspired by Crossing Acheron, the name Acheron was taken from an song by Candlemass called The bells of Acheron.I just threw some words together, I dislike having to think very long about an title.

Crossing Acheron is an great map, I should play it again I haven't played it in years.

And its done I hope you like it, idclev to map02 if you want to play the hell map.I'm still in the middle of playtesting this, so I haven't playtested it on UV yet.So don't be surprised if its way too hard, the map has six secrets most of them should be easy to find.

NO jumping it will break gameplay, that reminds me that I still have to put that in the textfile.
http://www.speedyshare.com/118440604.html

And now off to bed ZzZzZzZz.