Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Doom Rampage: Awesome Edition

OK, in the interest of avoiding a flame war, let me first say that I am by no means associated with the original DRE nor do I intend to praise it an any manner except the following: it was a good concept.

Since I'm now done with exams, I feel like I can handle more than 1 project at a time. Just an idea is to follow the original idea of DRE, but make something that's actually worth playing. I was thinking like a 3 or 4 map zdoom hub with E1 architecture. I could script enemies such as scientists and variations on space marines, etc. A few demon weapons to go with it.

Maybe use the Doom64 Laser, modified Heretic/Hexen weapons, and make a better animation for the plasma arm for the Baron of hell.

Just a thought. Comments?

Shouldn't this be in WADs & Mods?

Anyway, it is a good idea. DRE was a good idea but very poorly executed. The idea needs exploring and more creative input. There is probably a lot more that can be done gameplay-wise. It also needs experienced people (mappers, artists, musicians maybe) working on the project. Don't try it on your own :P

CodeImp said:

Shouldn't this be in WADs & Mods?

Anyway, it is a good idea. DRE was a good idea but very poorly executed. The idea needs exploring and more creative input. There is probably a lot more that can be done gameplay-wise. It also needs experienced people (mappers, artists, musicians maybe) working on the project. Don't try it on your own :P

Well, in terms of weapons and enemies, I can do that pretty easily. My mapping wont get any better If I don't do more things.

If you want to steal anything from my rather lame parody (outmyass.wad in the usual places) go ahead, though most of it was stolen from DRE except the weapon graphics, which have broken bob frames (was gonna re-make them but could never be bothered).

Never played the original, so either A) call it something apart from DRE or B)make it a paradoy of the original. I thought having friendly doom monsters on your side and fighting against marines through science quarters would be a pretty cool concept if pulled off right.

yes, it is a really good concept.
i've always wanted to play as a baron of hell invading the UAC bases/labs with my fellow demon brothers, killing marines and scientists before reaching the main goal of...i don't know...finding some powerful demon artifact locked in a lab and then stepping into a portal to earth (but not before fighting the big boss -- doomguy?)
the first stage could be an introductory map set in hell and ending with you stepping into a demonic gateway which leads to the first UAC base.
i'm not good with spriting, but i'd like to eventually help in some way to see this idea find proper fruition.

Doom2endboss=Icon of Christ.
marbfaces=holy trinity.

Please think of the available weapons and ammo of the new monster-player. And don't mak'em Hexenstyle. Instead of 4, better if all ten numberkeys are used. And no Heretic staves either. No such excuses for magickeal nothingness.

Wh'about the powerups? Are Soulspheres, Blurspheres or Invulnspheres going to remain, but with some changed effects?

What about the Alpha Doom treasure item graphics? Will they go fine with project's theme?

Anyway, what port is gonna be?

I suggest you to avoid reference to religions, specially not to a single one. I think just demons attacking a base with marines would be better.
There's a fully animated imp hud face that may fit for this (yet nobody wants to play like an Imp, specially not against marines after certain wad).
Perhaps the main character may be a new kind of demon, so there are no conflicts with DOOM on monster health/speed values, and available attacks.
It'd be a nice touch if slime pools don't affect you, but affect marines (dunno if this is possible).

The Lag said:

yes, it is a really good concept.
i've always wanted to play as a baron of hell invading the UAC bases/labs with my fellow demon brothers, killing marines and scientists before reaching the main goal of...i don't know...finding some powerful demon artifact locked in a lab and then stepping into a portal to earth (but not before fighting the big boss -- doomguy?)
the first stage could be an introductory map set in hell and ending with you stepping into a demonic gateway which leads to the first UAC base.
i'm not good with spriting, but i'd like to eventually help in some way to see this idea find proper fruition.

I like the way this sounds. Could turn out really good. Though, in order to really feel like a baron, you'd need to slow down the run speed and obviously not have any guns as weapons. Alternatively, the player could be an imp, but would have to be tougher than an ordinary imp.

Ryathaen said:

I like the way this sounds. Could turn out really good. Though, in order to really feel like a baron, you'd need to slow down the run speed and obviously not have any guns as weapons. Alternatively, the player could be an imp, but would have to be tougher than an ordinary imp.

What would be fun is being an Arch-vile and killing the defenseless UAC marines with my undodgable hit-scan spell. I'd be the fastest of my demon brethren, and I could resurrect a few Mancubi if I need some extra firepower.

Coding that would be I living nightmare, so I'm not suggesting you people try... I'm just saying it would be sweet. =)

Here's the wad with the imp sprites.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13334

I love B.P.R.D, by the way.

Is it weird that I just admitted that, out of nowhere?

Edit: Hey, is it even possible to find a copy of the original D:RE at this point? I never got to enjoy its mediocrity first hand, and I think that the internet has swallowed it back up into eternal nothingness.
Nevermind, one link here works: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/41026-doom-rampage-edition-a-doom-modification-preservation-society-re-release/

Somebody cleaned a huge amount of illegal resoruces and pointless mp3's out of it and reduced it from ~40mb to 9mb. But then some huge shitstorm blew up about how they where "tampering with his creation" and "shouldnt distribute it without permission", when they where overlooking the first and most important thing - the more people that played it, the more people could laugh at him. And that's what counts.

Creaphis said:
Edit: Hey, is it even possible to find a copy of the original D:RE at this point? I never got to enjoy its mediocrity first hand, and I think that the internet has swallowed it back up into eternal nothingness.
Nevermind, one link here works: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/41026-doom-rampage-edition-a-doom-modification-preservation-society-re-release/ [/B]

Could you possibly mirror it somewhere? Rapidshare is a massive pile of shit.

Well, I got it off Rapidshare late at night so there was no problem. I can't permanently host it so it seems pointless for me to just put it somewhere else. Someone who's willing to sacrifice their webspace for this may need to step forward.

"Much less so"? I tried that and now they expect me to pay for the hotlink. Get it off rapidshare. It seems to be "Happy hour" as I post this - no jumping through hoops required.

speedyshare.com wtf?

Vegeta said:

I suggest you to avoid reference to religions, specially not to a single one. I think just demons attacking a base with marines would be better.

Sounds boring. That way it'd be like doom1.wad with only the super-easy Knee-deep episode in its file. There's gotta be a Heaven (equiv. of inferno). And angels. And no "purgatory" or whatever. Not all religions have it (you did say avoid ref. esp. to a single religion).

No infighting (enemies r humans, not idiots); also will robots be there as foes?

Idea: in case of another poor Starwars Doom attempt, the player may be a Yuuzhan Vong. So: take this Vong idea with you for Doom Rampage: Awesome Edition. I didn't read the books with Vongs but someone told me some about them (they self-cut and use bio stuff instead of tech). So make the player character act like a Vong.

Creaphis said:

"Much less so"? I tried that and now they expect me to pay for the hotlink. Get it off rapidshare. It seems to be "Happy hour" as I post this - no jumping through hoops required.

You don't need to bother with a hotlink. Megaupload's 3 letter easy to read passcode system and 45 second wait time are far better than rapidshare's input and pray system.

How can the file be downloaded without a hotlink? I didn't notice any method that didn't expect me cough up a few.

Janitor, I think it's a sweet idea. The Rampage Edition in itself was a sweet idea, but its implementation didn't go as well as expected (hallelujah, choir).

printz said:

No infighting (enemies r humans, not idiots); ...

'Fellow' demons could start attacking the player and call it infighting.

May I ask, instead of researching, whether the ZDoom player class modability is enough to warrant this?

Edit: I think that PatricK PinedA sounds more imposing than Janitor, and being imposing is good. Besides, there's already a user with a real name, John Smith.

printz said:

May I ask, instead of researching, whether the ZDoom player class modability is enough to warrant this?

See my EDF mod, I have made an entirely new player class. It would not be hard at all to pull this off.

printz said:

Edit: I think that PatricK PinedA sounds more imposing than Janitor, and being imposing is good. Besides, there's already a user with a real name, John Smith.

First time anyone ever said my name was imposing. I dunno if that's a good thing or not :/

printz said:

No infighting (enemies r humans, not idiots)

DICK CHENEY!

I think an imp would make a better protagonist than a baron of hell, as it could acquire human equipment. Long ago I actually had plans to make an imp vs. marines mod... not that I would, nowadays.

Creaphis said:
It seems to be "Happy hour" as I post this - no jumping through hoops required.

It's always like that. All they do is offer you the file as both free and premium, and they're probably one of the cleaner hosts (especially for being popular). In fact, I've never had a problem downloading from (or uploading to) them, and they usually host the files for a long time (unlike many others).

POTGIESSER said:

DICK CHENEY!

I laughed hard

Anyway, I found even the idea of Doom Rampage in a super version boring. Having an advantage over all of your enemies is boring, in my opinion. If anything, I would want to be an imp leading a giant war instead of some baron going around slaughtering everything without a slight challenge

Also, having only colourful marine sprites as enemies lacks variety. Perhaps the few beastiary former humans will be made green and clean to add to that little variety.

Patrick Pineda said:

First time anyone ever said my name was imposing. I dunno if that's a good thing or not :/

Specifically it's about having the real name as a username on the net, without caring about stalkers finding you.

There's no actual risk to having your name online. Credit card numbers are a different matter.

Besides, cyber-stalkers use Facebook nowadays.

MONKET said:

Anyway, I found even the idea of Doom Rampage in a super version boring. Having an advantage over all of your enemies is boring, in my opinion. If anything, I would want to be an imp leading a giant war instead of some baron going around slaughtering everything without a slight challenge

Any marines with Rocket launchers or SSGs do not make your life easy as a Baron. Neither would those X Marines from ScytheII. Just so long as all you're fighting isn't un-zombified pistol "zombies", it shouldn't be too easy.

Another thing: I hate how the screen turns tomato-red when playing as a Spiderdemon hit by every single tiny 70-damage shotgun from someone or another, yet living on. Specifically, the blood PLAYPAL palettes' HP settings have to be augmented. What are the damage palette ranges?

I'm curious how would a Spiderdemon or Icon of Sin player be implemented, though.