Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
herooftime1000

My first ever monster

This is not bad for your first monster. I liked how there were no diagonal frames as it made the bees look like they were flying sideways so as to circle and stay facing the player.

Otherwise they divebomb you like Lost Souls. Their extremely low HP and attack seems to suggest that they're intended to be used in large swarms. I like that idea.

One thing it seems you did incorrectly was setting up the sprites to use at what times. Because you included a 0 frame, the bee always used it and so always faced you (see below screenie.) You should only need a CODE*0 frame for objects that don't change angles, like decorations and death sequences. Otherwise, your bee still wouldn't have faced the correct direction at the right time. CODE*1 is facing forward, CODE*2*8 is diagonally forward, CODE*3*7 is facing to the sides, CODE*4*6 is facing diagonally away, and CODE*5 is facing away. I also have some screeies that show the corrected spites.

Otherwise, good job. Do you mind if I make a small map with your Bees? =)

The bees are facing away from the player, but the erroneous sprites show them facing forward.

This is how they should look, I think.

They work fine, otherwise, as swarm enemies. The correction in the code makes them face the correct directions now. =)

Go ahead! They are free to use. Oh and uh can you send me the corrected version?

And another thing, thanks for telling me that. I never would have guessed. It's fun to lurn. XP

Oh and also, (Man, how many times did I edit this? 3 times?) Give me a copy of the map when you are done. :D

When I get around to making the map, I will post it either here or in a thread I make specifically for it. I'll merge the corrected sprite codes to that WAD so you can see them. =)

They don't fit the Doom environment at all, yet that doesn't bother me. I'd love to see a wad with these buzzing around.

Creaphis said:

They don't fit the Doom environment at all, yet that doesn't bother me. I'd love to see a wad with these buzzing around.

Perhaps the demons have learned to possess swarms of giant mutant bees and pit them against humanity?

Anyway, I've actually got a neat idea for this if not a bit wierd, but hey, it should be fun in any case. I'll be busy tomorrow, but should be able to crank out his map soon after. =)

I'll BEE busy tomorrow, but should BEE able to crank out his map soon after.
Well I guess I don't have whatever's needed to make this work. Dropping it in zdoom is just the iwad levels. But I'm probably too lazy to download whatever else I'd need.

I was gonna make huge wasps for an improved version of Bughunt once, but then i didn't. Anyway this is pretty cool sprite-work, i respect anybody that can manage to arrange those little squares and have them look convincing, i never have the patience.

deathbringer said:

I was gonna make huge wasps for an improved version of Bughunt once, but then i didn't. Anyway this is pretty cool sprite-work, i respect anybody that can manage to arrange those little squares and have them look convincing, i never have the patience.

Hehe! That's what sprite artists are good at. I think my next project should be a giant hive that should hang on a ceiling and have the behavior of a Pain Elemental. That'd be sweet.

Death Destiny are you going to post the bee.wad as a monster .wad or only as part of a map .wad? Could you post the .wad just as a monster .wad? I think this is really neat herooftime1000.

Hellbent said:

Death Destiny are you going to post the bee.wad as a monster .wad or only as part of a map .wad? Could you post the .wad just as a monster .wad? I think this is really neat herooftime1000.

Thanks for the compliment. The monster.wad is on the first post. If you can ignore my *ahem* error, then knock yourself out. :D