Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1337bastard

A mapping contest at Newdoom

Hello people. There is a new contest going on at Newdoom that you might be interested in joining. Basically what you must do, is to turn some Doom fanfic into a map. Yes, Repercussions of Evil is included. I think this is one of the most interesting contests so far, and certainly the funniest one.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=35252

Hope to see you there!

Omg it's like a book report. Count me out.

I did.

Fatal said:

Rules:

- A boom compatible map for doom2.wad, occupying the map slot MAP01
- A few custom textures or flats are allowed, but try to stick to the stock Doom textures.
- A sector limit of 400. This is merely to have a good room for gameplay features, while limiting detailing and such. We are not expecting masterpieces here, just some goofy Doom maps.
- Maximum of 3 maps per author. Again, don’t stress it, just one map is more than enough, but if you feel like making one or two more, that’s fine. All maps will be judged separately, but a mapper can not get the first, second and third position.
- Due to the nature of the contest, the map is strictly single player. If you figure out a creative way to put in coop or deathmatch, that’ll be cool, but it won’t be taken into account in judging.
-Difficulty levels are optional. Judging will take place on Hurt Me Plenty (difficulty level 2 in Doombuilder).

Yeah I don't really expect this to work. Now, if there were no limits on sectors/port usage/texture usage then maybe a few people could be enticed into retelling a story that they know and love. Right now those limits really cut the options on how that story can be told, and most of those fanfics really don't mean anything to the community.

I once started making a serious, limit-removing level based on the series of events in the Doom Comic but it didn't get anywhere.

As you will. However, I can't stress enough that this contest is not meant to be a serious one. Having loads of script based maps with dialogue in which Cernel Joson tells you to fight the demons would be rather boring. Instead, you must be creative (I'm starting to feel that this word is a curse word amongst most doom mappers), and use the tools you have to retell the story in the real language of Doom, sectors and linedef actions. THAT is what Doom is about.

Good point. But I would include custom textures as part of that real language of Doom, if not Boom functionality as well.

Well you CAN include some (10? 20? It's not that precise) custom textures and flats. Also this contest is indeed limited to Boom stuffs. While that isn't exactly the original Doom stuff it isn't all that different, and the more skilled mappers are more than able to produce most of the same effects in regular Doom as well. Also, unlike scripting, Boom linedefs feel comfortable to even the newest of mappers as it follows the same logic as regular Doom editing.

The sector limit isn't that great, truly. You can make practically whatever you wish within 400 sectors, you just have to cut on unnecessary detailing, which again distracts from the original idea behind this contest.

Thanks for the comments and interest, though. I appreciate it.