Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

PC just "shuts down" after using Gzdoom for a few min!

Ok, i start up Gzdoom (the latest version) and start playing. All is very well until all of the sudden my monitor just goes black and my PC just turns it self off! Any clue what might be going on? Nothing like this happens when i use Zdoom. :(

Do you have problems with more modern games?

My first guess would be that your graphics card requires more power than your computer's power supply can handle. GZDoom with uncapped frame rate will push the GFX hardware to 100%.

You can try to set vid_vsync to 1. That will reduce the frame rate to what your monitor can handle and on most maps reduce the load on the hardware.

Graf Zahl said:

Do you have problems with more modern games?

My first guess would be that your graphics card requires more power than your computer's power supply can handle. GZDoom with uncapped frame rate will push the GFX hardware to 100%.

You can try to set vid_vsync to 1. That will reduce the frame rate to what your monitor can handle and on most maps reduce the load on the hardware.

MY first power supply was to small, so i went to a computer show and had them choose a new power supply for me (happened ages ago), and no, even when i play demandig games like UT 3 or Gears of War on my PC it seems to work and run just fine! Also i have a nvidia 8800 GTX card. How can Gzdoom be demanding?!

Doom is so old.

Using a UPS maybe? They have a limit too. glboom-plus did the same thing to me when I was using a UPS. So I just plugged it into the wall instead and now it doesn't do that anymore.

I found out what the problem was, my PC was filled with so much dust that the air got to hot so my pc just turned it self off. :(

It it has been taken care of now so.....

Welcome to the club!

When that happened to me last time, fortunately all that happened was that my graphics card powered down to 'safe mode'. It still took me two weeks to figure it out and clean the computer...

Graf Zahl said:

Welcome to the club!

When that happened to me last time, fortunately all that happened was that my graphics card powered down to 'safe mode'. It still took me two weeks to figure it out and clean the computer...

heh! Good it only took me like 2 days. :)