Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KuriKai

Freedoom and jdoom packs

I am wondering why freedoom does not use things from the jdoom addon packs.

e.g. like the textures from the jdtp, the gui from the jdui
they can be all re-sized smaller.
They do not use any textures/images from the doom iwads.

KuriKai said:

I am wondering why freedoom does not use things from the jdoom addon packs.

those jdoom addons are for doom and are non-Free
so no
plus they're crap anyway
learn copyright laws and such before this kind of suggestion is made.
someone tried it (kinkyfriend) and made a installer with it and nothing positive happened from that so learn

those jdoom addons are for doom and are non-Free

How are they non free? They do not include anything from doom, everything is made from scratch, to look as close as posible to their counterparts in doom.

plus they're crap anyway

They are a hell of alot better than the stuff currently found in freedoom.
Which ones are crap?

learn copyright laws and such before this kind of suggestion is made.

It was not a sugestion, it was a question on why they havn't been used.

someone tried it (kinkyfriend) and made a installer with it and nothing positive happened from that so learn

Have you read the thread about it at newdoom? http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=30701

O.K., it's apparent you don't understand what "Free Software" (what Freedoom is licensed under) means and how it works, so I will explain (and hopefully it will bring light to what others have been telling you and pointing out in this thread).

To keep it simple, I'll just grab the two important sections that apply to this:

from the the Free Software definition page:
Free software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of free as in free speech, not as in free beer.

from the the Free Software definition page:
you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere. Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do not have to ask or pay for permission.

The whole definition is here, in case you are interested:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

So, as you can see, the two licenses are non compatible with each other, and thus nothing from the jDoom add on packs can be included in Freedoom.

Well I can release a lot of the textures from the jdtp under that license. Scaled down to the resolution of that required by freedoom

No you can't because it's considered as a derivative work from the copyrighted commercial software, and yes tracing over is considered deriving.
FreeDOOM doesn't want to look like Doom thanks

leileilol said:

No you can't because it's considered as a derivative work from the copyrighted commercial software, and yes tracing over is considered deriving.
FreeDOOM doesn't want to look like Doom thanks

well aren't you the arsehole

KuriKai said:

well aren't you the arsehole

Not really. I like to be legally careful. It's great for the long run.
To prevent history to repeat itself i'll just link to the following helled 'discussions' on why this is a bad idea.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post-hell/37132-freedoom-with-doomsday-package/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post-hell/37166-dani-wants-freedoom-to-be-banned-on-doomsday/

If we legally could look just like doom, we would; but guess what? Doom is copyrighted. Copyrighted. It is protected by a thing you will learn called COPYRIGHTS. FreeDOOM is under a Free Software license which allows commercial use and distribution. id doesn't like others making replicas (note i said replicas, freedoom is not a replica) of their games under such license (or any other license for that matter)
It's also why there's no Quake/Quake2/Quake3 characters in OpenArena, and it's also why there is no Mario in SuperTux.

If you really want to shoot a brown spiky imp go play Doom, it's not like it doesn't exist

This discussion has runs its useful course. Closed to prevent a further descent into something less useful.