Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mad Butcher

What's up with /idgames?

The primary download mirror (Germany) hasn't been updated since April 22nd. It's the same with Greece, Australia, and Florida (nemesia.org). The main server and all the other mirrors are current, although the California mirror is about one week behind.

I'm hoping Ty Halderman can tell us what is going on.

I noticed that the German mirror has ceased updating as well. Right now I'm using:

ftp.chg.ru/pub/games/idgames

That one still works fine - and is quite fast for me.

I own nemesia.org, it always had problems with updates. I believe I have it scheduled to try and mirror idgames 4 times a day because of the connection failure rates, and as you can see that's still not doing the trick. I don't know, but I have no reason to believe that the problem is on my end. I also never in my life managed to speak with anyone in charge of idgames itself even though I've been mirroring it for years now. So yeah, don't know what to tell you.

It appears that part of the problem is the FTP software that /idgames gamers.org are using - an expired evaluation copy of NcFTPd Server. I don't know how long ago it expired but noticed that it inserts a (random 20 to 30 seconds) delay after connecting, which today resulted in 3 connection timeouts before FileZilla gave up. For all I know there may be other forms of aberrant behaviour coded into the software to "encourage" users to register.

EDIT - Increased FileZilla's timeout delay to 60 seconds. I think that was part of my problem.

It baffles me that non-free ftpd software even exists in this day and age...

FANTASTIC! There's at least half a dozen or more free (in terms of both price and licensing) FTP servers out there. NcFTPd's main selling point seems to be that it's better than ws-ftpd was back in the early 1990s...

230-You are user #3 of 5 simultaneous users allowed.
230-
230-You are logged in to the anonymous mirrors archive at Gamers.Org.
230-
230-Enjoy your stay.  Please report any problems to ftpadmin@gamers.org.
230-
230-                           FTP.GAMERS.ORG
230-
230-      The /pub area of this archive can be accessed by these URLs:
230-
230-                     ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/
230-
230-               Report problems to ftpadmin@gamers.org
230-
230-
230-
230-*****************************************************************
230-
230-  NOTICE:  The archive maintainer is running an expired
230-           evaluation copy of the FTP server software.
230-           Please encourage the maintainer to license the
230-           software now at http://www.ncftp.com/order/ !
230-
230-
230-Please wait 24 seconds.
230-Wasn't that annoying?  Tell your site administrators that the delay
230-goes away when they license the software.
230-
230 Logged in anonymously.

NcFTPD's client said:

230-Please wait 24 seconds.
230-Wasn't that annoying?  Tell your site administrators that the delay
230-goes away when they license the software.

I really find software like this to be very obnoxious. "Hey, we'll let you do what you came to do. However, before you can, we're going to inconvenience you in a number of trivial ways, first. But guess what! That won't happen if you get more money to us, now would it? :D"

I don't remeber which site this was, but I recall a file sharing site I never use that had "security codes" that you either had to type in only the blurry crooked letters with cats drawn behind them or type the letters formed by illegible patterns of depressions and bulges in a grid. I guess that marketing technique must work, since it's so popular. =/

The blurry kitty captcha was on Rapidshare. They're removed it since.

glad to see I'm not the only person with troubles connecting. if the trouble is the ftp software on the server, we should try and talk Ty into updating it. if there are free alternatives, we ought to use those!