Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Which Cartrige-Based Console Should I Get To Play Doom???

Hi everybody. Let me start off by saying that I'm looking for a cartrige system to play doom on. I have Doom 64, which is good in its own right, but it left me craving for an actual port. I perfer using cartrige based consoles because I simply feel more comfortable using them over cd-based systems, even though cd's show off more of the console's abilities.

My top two choices are SNES or Jaguar. I may or may not add the 32X into the equation due to the fact that it's basically a watered down version of the Jaguar port with in-level music.

I'd suggest checking out the DoomComp and DoomCut documents first.
Among cartridge-based Doom games, SNES Doom has the most accurate maps by far, but is lacking in other areas. You might like the Jaguar or GBA Doom games more.

I've been considering getting a GBA, but right now I'm more concerned with getting a non portable console because I feel most comfortable with those kind of consoles. Don't ask why, I don't even know.

I already know the different facts about the ports, I just want to know what you guys think is best...

I think theres a doom for sega genesis. I don't think it's very distinctive from other doom ports though. I'm just reccomending it because it's the latest cartridge using console before n64 (i think)

To play Doom on the Genesis, you need a 32x Adapter.

The game itself is closer to the original Doom than the SNES comes, but the hassel of finding, installing (you gotta use those damned plates), and keeping a 32x running is probably not worth your time. On my system, playing Doom 32x was frustrating because the game would keep locking up on me and I never made it through the entire game.

Well, since you want it on a cart, my recommendation would have been the GBA version (since it is the best of the cart based ports), but since you said you don't want that one, you only have the Jaguar, 32X, and SNES versions to choose from.

You can knock the 32X one off right off the bat, as it's just a stripped down version of the Jaguar port with god-awful music slapped into it.

Between the Jaguar and SNES ones, well, it depends on what your looking for exactly. The Jaguar has the stripped down levels and no music, but runs full screen at a higher resolution and with a higher framerate versus SNES Doom. The control is also a lot better in Jaguar Doom. Ditto for the sound effects, as the sfx in SNES Doom are awful.

SNES Doom, on the other hand, leaves most of the levels intact, and uses most of the same textures the PC version to give it an atmosphere that more properly matches the PC version versus the Jaguar version. It also has some great music, IMO. However, the resolution it runs at is very low, and it's control is not that great either. Not to forget the aforementioned crappy sound effects.

I know the SNES version has an Episode select option in it. Does the jaguar version have episode select? I'm asking this because I liked how Duke Nukem 64 ran without an episode select option and I was wondering if Doom for the Jaguar ran the same.

Spiderdemon6669 said:

I know the SNES version has an Episode select option in it. Does the jaguar version have episode select?

The Jag game is not divided into multiple Episodes.
Barring the use of cheats, the very first time you start playing, you'll have to begin on the game's first map.
After you beat a level the first time, though, you can always start a new game on that level (or any other you've beaten before), with the exception of level 24.

JohnnyRancid said:

I think theres a doom for sega genesis. I don't think it's very distinctive from other doom ports though. I'm just reccomending it because it's the latest cartridge using console before n64 (i think)

It's actually for the 32X add-on for the sega genesis, although I heard someone was making a homebrewed version just for the genesis alone, but I heard this a couple of years ago and a really don't know how it's turning out as of now.

The last cartrige-based console to come out before the N64 was actually the Jaguar, but the last console port of doom that was released on a cartrige-based console before the N64 version was Doom for the SNES. I believe it came out a year before Doom 64.

A Funny Story: I remember the year 1997 when I think about Doom. I wanted an N64 so bad just so I could play doom on a console. I only had SNES at the time and couldn't concieve the idea of having doom on it. To make a long story short, when I finally got an N64, I saw Doom SNES for rent at blockbuster and went, "That's Fucked Up!"

Use a GP2X. There is a Boom port for it, you just put it on a SD card and play. Music can be played with Timidity. While Boom is limit removing, you don't benefit much from it here, though, as the device quickly reaches its performance limits when loading complex maps.