Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

Hardest games ever?

hey, what do you guys think about really hard games? Ive played my fair share of them and some of them, especially like 80\'s game\'s are just impossible. what do you think are among the hardest games ever?

metal slug was so hard, i cant even get past level 3! that guy with the machine gun...just god!

thoughts?

I love Metal Slug, though I didn't think it was that hard...tough, but not really hard.

Most of the games I can recall being really difficult were those side-scrolling shoot 'em ups. Last good one I've played was Mars Matrix for the Dreamcast...though technically it scrolls vertically. Whatever.

The second half of Far Cry was almost inordinately hard compared to the first.

The Contras are fairly hard (2 isn't too bad though) and there are tons of NES games that are hard, either with challenge or with bullshit buggyess.

SuperSlammer2 said:what do you guys think about really hard games? Ive played my fair share of them and some of them, especially like 80\'s game\'s are just impossible.

Sounds like you're a fan of 'Nintendo Hard'. good for you. Personally I find real life frustrating enough without having my ass kicked during my favorite pass time.

I love that site, Captain. Thanks for reminding me to get lost in it for a few more hours. :D

Pokemon. Lucario is so hard to catch. Fortunately, listening to Linkin Park makes it a bit easier.

Ignoring any attempt at beating the original NES Contra without the Konami code...

Chakan: The Foreverman on the Genesis/Mega Drive had some insane difficulty, partially from its well designed levels and gameplay.

The original Mega Man on the NES was, and still is, extremely difficult for me. Especially the stage for Guts Man.

exp(x) said:

Pokemon. Lucario is so hard to catch. Fortunately, listening to Linkin Park makes it a bit easier.

Dude, you made my drink come out my nose. Oh gawd it hurts.

Captain Red said:

GAH! Not TVtropes! Cant...resist...the tropes!....

Heh, just wasted another 2 hours of my life on that site, its now midnight and I just now realized it :P

DJ_Haruko said:

The original Mega Man on the NES was, and still is, extremely difficult for me. Especially the stage for Guts Man.

Oh, how I hated those stupid trick platforms. I always used the Magnet Beam for that particular section.

It's a catch-22 for me: I'd need Guts Power to remove the bricks in Elec Man's stage to get the Magnet Beam to bypass those trick platforms and defeat Guts Man. If it weren't for the Elec Beam destroying the blocks, I'd never get through the game.

And to the yellow block monster: Eat a party-sized bag of herpes-ridden dicks.

Maybe it's because I'm older and maybe it's because the internet has ruined my attention span, but I can't deal with Nintendo Hard anymore. I can only take so much screwing up before I quit.

Touhou series.

I always considered the part where you have to fight the clones of the bosses in Megaman 1 the hardest part: The bosses were mostly more difficult than in the later games, you got only one energy tank for killing one and if you died you had to go all over them again, again, unlike in the later games.

I have to agree about the "Nintendo Hard" games. Most games that I can think of fall in this category, notably Castlevania 1, ninja gaiden, ghosts n goblins, mega man, battletoads, etc.
I've always found the Contras kinda easy since I've been playing them off/on my whole life. Once I get the spread-shot I can usually finish the game without dying at all.

Bank said:
The second half of Far Cry was almost inordinately hard compared to the first.

Yes I remember some areas where I had to retry savepoints hundreds of times because of some cheap situations.

I agree with you guys that a lot of old NES games were just stupid hard--I bet the programmers couldn't even beat them without cheating. Many arcade games are just ridiculous too--you just keep popping quarters in, without making an iota of progress, until you give up in complete frustration.

DJ_Haruko: I hear ya on Chakan, I was playing that recently, grabbing screenshots of monsters for my archives, and, even with an invincibility Game Genie code on, it still managed to tick me off.

exp(x) said:

wtf

anyways, i played some of the NES games you guys were talking about and holy shit your right, some of those are just like...wow. Metal Slug looks easy in comparison!

The Original Castlevania,Double Dragon,Blast Corps,Kingdom Under fire:the crusaders wasnt hardbut it was complicated,Condemned gets damn hard near the end,STALKER when you get past the red forest and you start to run out of ammo,medikits and Rad X.

Oh shit boss is coming...back to work

In Sonic 3, in the Carnival Night Zone, there was a part where you had to jump up and down on a barrel in rhythm in order to get to the next area. I'm not sure if I was ever able to do it.

The hardest game I've ever played, has to be Multiplayer Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

The SP campaign was pretty beatable, but when you go up against those damned poptart snipers, it just turns into a shitfest of unwinnableness.

In Japan there's a trend for smalltime/home-brew games based on the R-type series (which where bad enough, i can remember when i was younger wanting to play "the space game" in motorway services/truck stops and getting pwned in like 3 seconds) which are called "bullet spam", even the screenshots conjure up images of only one possible path through a swarm of fire, one pixel either way and you're finished!

Also thanks for reminding me about TVtropes too, the guy i came to Lincoln to meet can't meet me until at least Sunday, i'll just click over to that window i have minimised and it'll be sunday in 5 minutes flat!

I usually hate all games that are hard. I prefer slow-paced games with not much losing involved. Though I suck at the Civilization games, so I hardly ever beat them (well, aside from diplomatic victories and the like) and I fucking love them. Same goes for Total War.

exp(x) said:

In Fire Red, I could never get a damn Chancey or one of the bull things because the Safari Zone is a huge bundle of pain.

Danarchy said:

I usually hate all games that are hard. I prefer slow-paced games with not much losing involved.

Same here. That's one thing I find really appealing about LucasArt's adventure games.

Although I'll make an exception for Star Control 2. That game is pretty hard to beat unless you know what's what before you start.

Contra games are not very hard. They were designed to be near impossible to play from beginning to end because they were originally arcade games. The trick about it is that you will spend money to get slaughtered, then realize that you could have lived longer if you played it a different way, so you pay to try again, then something that seems impossible to defeat later on in the game, you will realize that it can be beaten if you use a certain strategy. The idea was to get you to lose in such a manner that you will know in your heart that you COULD beat it, and that's what influences you to keep spending money.

That said, Almost all arcade games are designed to be ridiculously hard, to encourage that same "I know I can do it!" marketing. I got House of the Dead 2 and 3 for the Nintendo Wii, and those games are unbelievable.

EDIT: I used to have a GBA game called Iridion-3d, it was an air combat game, and I couldn't get past the second level, even with 8 lives.

EDIT: Also what about that game that people were talking about a couple months ago that looked like Mario Bros. but it was unbeleivably hard. (clouds could kill you, rockets shot out of pipes)

Sadly, I used to own Fester's Quest for the NES and it was the only game in my collection that I couldn't beat... granted the game is pretty bad, which didn't help matters. I liked the music, though... the overworld theme was rather upbeat. I finally did beat it recently when I went back to play those old games. I just felt the need to take my revenge, I guess. ;)

JohnnyRancid said:EDIT: I used to have a GBA game called Iridion-3d, it was an air combat game, and I couldn't get past the second level, even with 8 lives.[/B]

Heh, Iridion 3D sucked. The collision detection was irritatingly bad, and made it way too difficult. The soundtrack was *really* cool though...

As for hard games, the original (non special edition) Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die! mode.

Captain Red said:

Sounds like you're a fan of 'Nintendo Hard'. good for you. Personally I find real life frustrating enough without having my ass kicked during my favorite pass time.

Dude, you just ruined me, I started looking at that site at like, 5:30ish PM and it's 9:17 PM now and there seems to be no end in sight :-P

exp(x) said:

Heh I just saw that thread in post hell a while ago :P

Anyway, I thought perfect dark for the Nintendo was pretty hard. Especially on perfect agent difficulty.

Devil May Cry on "Dante Must Die!" difficulty was a serious pain, especially those "blade" enemies that would appear out of nowhere and pull moves out of their asses.

I would'nt say "Killer Instinct" for the SNES was a very hard game, but on the highest difficulty it was challenging. Eyedol, the final boss was just really annoying. His attacks did unreal amounts of damage and his jump attack would end up with you having a club to the face if you weren't careful.

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts for SNES was incredibly irritating. Yes, it was fun, but it was so easy to get killed. You had to be REALLY good at dodging and predicting enemy movements/projectiles to survive.

Some of the contra games were also very tough.