Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

Hardest games ever?

I personally never really had too much trouble with the original Mega Man, so it's kind of strange to here people say that it was difficult. Some of the Castlevania games were pretty hard, and Fester's Quest was something I couldn't beat until a few years ago, but I think the only NES game I own thatI have never been able to complete is the original Ninja Turtles game. There's just too much craziness going on once you get into the Technodrome.

You know how in Resident Evil 4 there are those blind enemies that listen for your footfalls and run at you like berserkers swinging these 3-foot long claws at you... the ones you have to shoot in the back? Anyway, a friend and I played that game once (we were chatting on the phone and playing the same maps simultaneously so we could discuss the fights and whatnot...). I had just bought it, so I had to play on the default difficulty while my friend was playing on Hard Mode since he had already beaten the game.

There was one part where you had to fight the clawed enemy in a cage with crossbow-wielding ganados in balconies around you. If you die on the default difficulty, the clawed enemy is not there in the following attempts. However, it is always present on Hard Mode. I got to skip the fight since i died the first time, but I'd imagine it must have been pretty ridiculous since my friend, whose better than me at Resident Evil, apparantly had to attempt the fight like 200 times and I had to wait a couple of hours so i wouldn't get a few maps ahead. Man, you should have heard my friend's frustration over the phone... My friend had to call me back when he finally did it, since it took so many tries. =P

Bank said:

In Sonic 3, in the Carnival Night Zone, there was a part where you had to jump up and down on a barrel in rhythm in order to get to the next area. I'm not sure if I was ever able to do it.

Huh? I remember those barrels that you had to make go up and down (they were red and white, right?) but you didn't have to jump on those repeatedly iirc. You could just push up and down in rhythm, right?

EllipsusD said:

I think the only NES game I own thatI have never been able to complete is the original Ninja Turtles game. There's just too much craziness going on once you get into the Technodrome.

I remember that... the only way I made it through was stocking up on ninja scrolls a couple levels back so I could just slice through those jerks with the jetpacks.

deathbringer said:

In Japan there's a trend for smalltime/home-brew games based on the R-type series (which where bad enough, i can remember when i was younger wanting to play "the space game" in motorway services/truck stops and getting pwned in like 3 seconds) which are called "bullet spam", even the screenshots conjure up images of only one possible path through a swarm of fire, one pixel either way and you're finished!

Touhou series.

Pretty much anything from Cave. Dodonpachi Dai-Oh-Jou, Mushimuhime Futari Ultra, etc.

In terms of pure difficulty, Touhou shooters really doesn't hold up to the difficuly of Cave's shooters.

Bank said:

There's always this.

Probably a stupid question (it's 1am and my eyes are tired), but is this a joke or real?

If the former.... I watched it for four minutes (WHYYYY?) and did not find it very funny.

MikeRS said:

Probably a stupid question (it's 1am and my eyes are tired), but is this a joke or real?

If the former.... I watched it for four minutes (WHYYYY?) and did not find it very funny.

It's a real game, made for the precise reason of being unfairly difficult.

You can download it somewhere in this unicode hell

I always thought Contra Hard Corps was the toughest Contra game. I'm very good at it now after playing it for years, but when I was younger I could not beat the third level with that weird walking machine boss that Dead Eye Joe pilots. I would always use up all my lives and then have to start over again.

Apparently, the Japanese version of the game had a lifebar, which might explain why the game was so damn difficult.

Chakan is whole 'nother level of hard, though. You have infinite lives, but everything wants you dead, there are death pits everywhere, and there is a time limit in every realm. If you run out of time, you have to start the whole realm all over again, even if you were right at the boss. It's a great game, but argh!

Props to anyone who has ever had a podium finish in Destruction Derby 2.

I was talking to bashe and he showed me this old NES game based on the Silver Surfer and H O L Y S H I T it is so freaking impossible there is just no way to beat it, ever

has any one else played that horrible horrible game!?

Snarboo said:

Apparently, the Japanese version of the game had a lifebar, which might explain why the game was so damn difficult.

I'm fairly sure the Japanese hate us and their game designers like to laugh at Americans and our inability to play their near-impossible games. I think this was just their upping the joke to a whole different level.

Bank said:

In Sonic 3, in the Carnival Night Zone, there was a part where you had to jump up and down on a barrel in rhythm in order to get to the next area. I'm not sure if I was ever able to do it.

The best part is, after getting timed out countless times, realising you only have to press up and down :/.

I thought Assassin's Creed was fricking impossible before I learned how to counter attack. The timing elduded me when I first started out. Haha, yes, those were some bad times...

Janderson said:

The best part is, after getting timed out countless times, realising you only have to press up and down :/.

Haha yes that is horrible.

spank said:

Props to anyone who has ever had a podium finish in Destruction Derby 2.

I'm pretty sure i was able to win races on a one-track demo we used to have that i endlessley played. It was set in some mountains and started off wide but then went really narrow. If you could get ahead from the off and be through the narrow section first it was possible to not even see another (running) car for the whole race.

Also, i've been to real banger/destruction derby races and they are NOTHING like any of those games, but driving a scaffolding-covered Sierra or Cav around a tiny concrete circle, the outer edge of which doubles as a greyhound track on alternate weekends, wouldn't make a popular game

The first Super Mario Bros was quite hard. SMB 3 had more powerups, and Super Mario World had yet more powerups and more open levels, allowing you to often skip over large portions of the game. The first one was pretty hard though - especially the Lost Levels. Great times!

Speaking of side-scrollers, there's a PC game called Abuse. It was abusive, to say the least.

Tactical shooters can be pretty hard, such as Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield. I only play the multiplayer demo, and I'm an expert player, but having realistic bullet damage takes the cake. So yeah, contra was hard too :P

I think Mario really did the job, however. You know a game is hard when you wish that the level would restart faster so as not to waste time...

As has been mentioned before, a lot of NES games can qualify for this. However, I wouldn't nominate Megaman, except maybe for the yellow monster, or Super Mario Brothers, except of course for the later entry, The Lost Levels. That game is evil. And of course, the original TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, Battletoads, Castlevania, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Karnov (hated this game), and any entry in the Contra series (though I kick ass at Contra 3 now). A lot of people also say Silver Surfer, but I haven't played it.

And then there's SHMUPS. In general, this can be one of the most difficult genres. Aside from the bullet madness that's been so popular lately, such as DoDonPachi, Gigawing or Mars Matrix, there's R-Type and Gradius, still some of the most fiendishly difficult games ever. The Darius series is no walk in the park either. People nominate Ikaruga too, but I've seen worse. There's a ton of arcade shooters that are just plain unfair.

And how about Out of This World? Dragon's Lair? Prince of Persia? Any early Sierra adventure game? The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Babel Fish puzzle?

Then there's the final bosses of SNK and Capcom fighters. Some of them are nigh-impossible.

I'll also nominate Pools of Darkness. To this day, I've still been unable to beat the final battle. The only RPG I've never completed.

And what about skill settings? Easy games can be taken to a whole new level. Doom on Nightmare. Unreal Tournament on Godlike. Serious Sam on Mental. Diablo II on Hell. A Starcraft melee 1 on 7. Getting Grandmaster in Tetris the Grandmaster. Jordan or Through the Fire and Flames in Guitar Hero. Civilization on Deity, Demigod, or Sid mode. Etc., etc.

And finally there's I Wanna Be the Guy. This game will murder your ass. Youtube it.

magicsofa said:

I think Mario really did the job, however. You know a game is hard when you wish that the level would restart faster so as not to waste time...

Super Mario games, including the first one, are fairly easy compared to their contemporaries. I can't really imagine an argument otherwise. I would predict that most regular posters here could get through the whole game in 30 minutes only dying once or twice, if at all.

I second the dreaded TMNT. To this day I refuse to believe that it is even possible to beat until I see it in person myself.

DJ_Haruko said:

Actually, what about the first Fatal Fury? If anything, the fight with Geese was super hard.

Yeah,that goes for every fucking snk boss after that...god I hate boss fights on KOF.

Steeveeo said:

The hardest game I've ever played, has to be Multiplayer Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

The SP campaign was pretty beatable, but when you go up against those damned poptart snipers, it just turns into a shitfest of unwinnableness.

I always hated fighting clanners...It didnt matter if I was in a damned Atlas Decked out with ER lasers and Gauss Rifles.Those clanner mechs are pretty damn tough,better slavage them when you can lol.

TVTropes claims another victim... thanks a lot (sarcasm aside, this is a fun read). :)

Props for certain parts of a game being notoriously tricky as well... I'm looking at you, crab boss of Blaster Master's Stage 5.

If we're talking about individual sections of games, getting the Venus Sigil in FFX was the worst for me, or at least the worst which I eventually overcame, albeit via iffy methods.

I actually took apart my controller and attached on a light sensor chip which would activate the X button every time the lightning flashed and the display monitor lit up the room. Worked flawlessly. (Read that again and bask in my hardcoreness).

Hahaha that's awesome. I recently beat that game but I didn't want to bother with all those ultimate weapons. I wouldn't even consider trying something like that though ;p

Richo Rosai said:

I second the dreaded TMNT. To this day I refuse to believe that it is even possible to beat until I see it in person myself.

The game (as a whole) really isn't that hard (especially once you exploit its many bugs), it's just home to one of the hardest and most unfair levels ever to grace a videogame: that damn underwater level. Seriously, whoever made that piece of work must have really hated gamers. Only time in the game were I ever used Raphael, LOL.

Tango said:

Hahaha that's awesome. I recently beat that game but I didn't want to bother with all those ultimate weapons. I wouldn't even consider trying something like that though ;p

I had already gotten all the other weapons. Also, I was hurt because I'd never come across something so mundane that I simply couldn't do (not even 3 times, much less 100 consecutively). So I just couldn't let it be.

Nuxius said:

The game (as a whole) really isn't that hard (especially once you exploit its many bugs), it's just home to one of the hardest and most unfair levels ever to grace a videogame: that damn underwater level. Seriously, whoever made that piece of work must have really hated gamers. Only time in the game were I ever used Raphael, LOL.

The water level is nothing compared to the last level. I couldn't even do it with save-states, which is something I can't say about any other NES game I've ever played.

Mission Impossible on the NES. I had a game genie and still couldn't beat this damn game. 10 Years later after much use of the save state feature in an emulator I beat it.

Vile said:

Sadly, I used to own Fester's Quest for the NES and it was the only game in my collection that I couldn't beat... granted the game is pretty bad, which didn't help matters. I liked the music, though... the overworld theme was rather upbeat. I finally did beat it recently when I went back to play those old games. I just felt the need to take my revenge, I guess. ;)

I used a rapid fire controller and still didn't get very far. Those maze indoors parts annoyed the hell out of me. There were also those red powerups that would downgrade your weapon. I also read in some obscure PRIMA NES strategy guide book that they would also increase the monster counts as well.

POTGIESSER said:

I used a rapid fire controller and still didn't get very far. Those maze indoors parts annoyed the hell out of me. There were also those red powerups that would downgrade your weapon. I also read in some obscure PRIMA NES strategy guide book that they would also increase the monster counts as well.

There is some points that help, like the fact that your inventory items (potions, missiles, tnt, etc.) are replenished every time you defeat a boss, so you don't have to be too conservative. It also helps that the bosses after the first two take much less time to reach, as if the game designers were tired of making new areas. There are still some tricky parts, like the boss with the shield and the alien ship, where I wouldn't even bother challenging some of the regular enemies to a fight.

99% of commodore64 games were insanely hard but manic miner is one of the most popular ones so I'm gonna say that.