Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

Putrid Sushi

Rotfish

Putrefying fish found in id Software's 1996 Quake personal computer (PC) video game. Rotfish are voracious carnivores and will attack anything, regardless of size, that has the misfortune to stumble into one of the numerous dank moats and pools they inhabit. A single Rotfish isn't much of a threat, as they're weak and relatively easy to dispatch, but these loathsome piranhas usually travel in schools and swarm their prey from every direction. Like the rest of the monsters in Quake, the Rotfish are the offspring of the fertility goddess, Shub-Niggurath (a fictional deity in the Cthulhu Mythos).

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white/hot glue, a wire twist tie, plastic from a toy package, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
4.0 cm/1.6 in. x 5.0 cm/2.0 in. (highest point x widest point)

Articulation:
The lower jaw opens and closes--my sole reason for doing this was so that I could take a picture of the Rotfish with its jaws clamped onto my Quake Fiend's tail.

Time:
About half a day; I started this figure in the afternoon on 6/19/08 and completed it that evening

(I was going to make another joke photo, involving my Quake: SOA Gremlin and a fishing pole, but I couldn't find the little bugger anywhere--he's on my bedroom floor somewhere underneath a mountain of clothes, magazines, toys, and other junk . . . you can see how I treat my sculptures with the utmost care and respect.)

For comparison purposes, below is an animated GIF image, of the Quake Rotfish polygon model, that I put together using the computer programs QME and GIMP.

And, as a brief aside, here's an animated GIF I made (again using GIMP) of April O'Neil kissing Leonardo, created from sprites taken from the Konami TMNT Arcade Game. Note how she acquires a second elbow, mid-bicep (watch her arm inside the jumpsuit sleeve), when she bends forward. :P

You did a very good job making the rotfish. Colors are great, and you gave the fish some nice texture to it's skin.

Btw nice tmnt gif I remember this one, and I do notice the elbow lol.

Awesome work there MmM and it's nice to see something related to id :)
the paint job is killer! I saw a program on TV where an aboriginal girl in the Amazon frequently goes in piranha infested water and doesn't get hurt. But then again those people claim that plants talk to them.

BTW I just popped the Alyx Vance mini bust out of the oven today :)

I didn't know the Rotfish are rotten (despite their suggestive name). I thought Rotfish comes in relation with Rottweiler; both are similarly weak.

EDIT: I'm no fan for joint jokes.

very cool. wouldn't want to go swiming in a lake full of those. LOL at the "second elbow" in the gif.

I'm amazed by the materials list. I have no idea how you turned those things into an articulated model.

Creaphis said:

I'm amazed by the materials list. I have no idea how you turned those things into an articulated model.

Wow! I didnt notice that there before.

Dude, MmM, you are like the MacGuyver of modelling :P

"Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath!
The Black Goat Of The Woods with a Thousand Young!"

- Howard Philips Lovecraft,
The Whisperer In Darkness

The final boss of id Software's 1996 Quake personal computer (PC) video game. The fertility goddess, Shub-Niggurath, lurks in Her primordial pit, giving birth to nightmares made flesh. Only one who has, through much struggle and bloodshed, obtained four magical rune stones may find entrance to this hellish lair. Beware: While engaging in battle with a mere mortal is beneath Her, Shub-Niggurath's children (Shamblers and Vores) will not stand idly by while a trespasser profanes Her glory with his unwelcome human presence. None of the weapons in a Marine's arsenal can injure Her divine flesh, yet, the properly-timed application of the theory that two pieces of matter cannot occupy the same space at the same time just might prove to be Shub-Niggurath's undoing . . .

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
6.0 cm/2.4 in. x 4.5 cm/1.8 in. (highest point x widest point)

Time:
One evening on 6/24/08.

For comparison purposes, below is an image of the Quake Shub-Niggurath polygon game model.

Shapeless: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I made it. It'd be quite easy to turn that into an XXX animation. :P

Creaphis said:

He must be related to McGyver ...

I'm impressed by this, have you ever considered making models and then photographing them at angles to make Doom sprites? Isn't that how they made some of them?

That's a pretty cool model of Shub-Niggurath you created MmM.
I think she deserves a little base of rock sitting in a pool of lava diorama, to really complete the look of her Majesty.

Nah, I'm not much for bases unless they're absolutely necessary to keep a figure erect. I did consider making a miniscule Shambler/Vore to go with her, but it would have had to be rididulously small to be in scale and probably would have came out looking like crap, due to the size.

Yes indeed-y, QME makes my life a whole lot easier when it comes to getting reference images to sculpt from. Thanks again for hooking me up.