Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alien8

DM-Deck 1 for Skulltag

This is the second deathmatch map that I've ever worked on for the Doom series (the first also being a DM-Deck16 remake), and although I've learned a lot since I started, I've still got a long ways to go towards being able to create a single, cohesive level.

I've got the majority of the architecture and texturing (hopefully) completed, but I've been staring at the level for so long that I need a fresh outlook on it. Please critique my existing work and give me some ideas on how I should go about breaking up the main room so that it doesn't look four big walls o' textures.

Here's some mostly up-to-date screenshots of what I've worked on so far:

Some of the blatantly misplaced textures in the screenshots have already been replaced.

Here's the wad. As you'll be able to see, my weakness is definitely in my texturing, so I'd especially love to get some pointers on that.

BlackFish said:

You should be able to make the original feel of the map instead of that because ST has the ability to make 3d floors.

I actually experimented with 3D floors, but to be honest, I didn't really like them - the level seemed to have faster flow without. I'm also aiming for a bit of a de-imagining of Deck16 as well, and this basic layout sort of fits my vision a bit better.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

3D floors are also banned from online DM modes in ST. (as not everyone has systems capable of running OpenGL smoothly)

hehe, then what's the point of all that 'st has 3d floors' hype then **

maby it was to kill the hype of the other ports that have Floor Over Floors (FOF for short)

leileilol said:

hehe, then what's the point of all that 'st has 3d floors' hype then **

Yeah I don't see why they allowed sp 3d floors and not dm ones.

I agree with you, if someone can't run smoothly the opengl with 3D Floors then he can avoid himself to play this wad online.

Well, the map is getting closer to being in a state that I feel is ready for release. I've done a fair amount of work in texturing and detailing, and I've done some adjusting with the item placement (especially in making the powerful doom sphere much more dangerous to get at).

Here's some updated shots of the main ramp room:

If anybody's got any other gameplay advice or ideas on breaking up the wall textures in the ramp room, I'd love to hear them. If not, I'll be spending some more time on general texture cleanup and hopefully it will be ready for release. Here's the updated wad for anyone who's interested.