Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Smith

I abandoned my old project and replaced it with this.

I got fed up with my old map, it wasn't doing anything for me any more. Simply emulating John Romero wasn't really fun.

So I've decided to try and make a truly original map, only loosely inspired by Dmonfear.WAD and Scythe 1/2. Currently it's very sparse, because I'm in the process of "blocking out" the geometry. I've been using curves liberally, because I think what made my old map terrible was the squareness of it.

You start here, looking down a long corridor at a pair of doors and a corner.

There's a red door around the corner.

Going through the double door, you see this weird room.

This will have a key, a bit like E1M2's "U-turn" bit (with the Red Key and Chaingun secret door.) Making the key lower, though, will require finding a switch in an area unbuilt as yet.

Through the Red door is this very blue area, inspired by parts of E1M1-3 and Episode 2. Also The Sky May Be!

I haven't really thought through monster placement, lighting or anything like that as yet - that's the part I have problems with. Advice would be appreciated, as would comments on the style of geometry and basic texturing (grey walls with brown or blue floors, with other areas having colour-coded carpet, will be the theme.)

Be harsh, please!

Well, you were a bit right, a bit of roundness does help a maps image, but it has a limit. Looks like your entire map is nothing but rounded corners & platforms. A tad bit gray, too, but theres nothing else for me to say. Which is kind of a bad thing. Theres nothing else to really say about it, other than the nice roundness of the stairs.

This seems like an alright first or second map, so easier to moderate difficulty monsters would be good. Have a couple of metal areas, without changing the theme of the level entirely. (maybe a couple of tech rooms behind doors, Storage areas, etc..)

Is it a linear or non- linear map?

I like the effect created by lots of roundness, but I wouldn't call that architecture finished just yet. You need to use textures that fit the surfaces they're put on (though I'm assuming you haven't hit that stage yet), you need to make your ceilings much more interesting to look at, and the more height variation you add the better, really. It feels quite flat, and you should remember to put gameplay features and visuals above and below the player - not just on his level.

For further reading (if you're interested) I would direct you to this detail guide (which also has a couple tips on architecture):
http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=101
And I suggest that you find wads that look good to you, and ask yourself a few questions about each area: What in this area makes the floor/ceiling/walls look good? What's special about the way this area is shaped? Remember, there's absolutely no shame in drawing inspiration from (copying) someone else's style for a start.

Looks like a perfect set-up for packs of Imps, organized Former Soldiers, and rampaging Demons & Revenants.

I've always liked curved architecture, because it looks good even when the map is quite empty... at this stage your map is perhaps too empty though. Looking forward !

Nice work there... probably most of those spaces could be half the area they are. I can see monsters in there looking too small against the backdrop of the walls around them. In regards to lighting, incrementing is very effective. In the first room, light could be 128, then the hallway, 112, then the next room at 96, up the curved stairs decreasing light by 8 units per stair.
It will create a real sense of tension, as well as darker rooms appearing to be smaller.....

A nice start though.....

I do like the curves, though don't expect curves to solve all your mapping challenges.

The other posts here have good advice in them... Listen to them.

good luck.. :)

Sorry I haven't kept you guys informed, but it's because I've been doing massive work on this map:

Starting area with mood lighting!

Something in the first big room, alongside an anteroom!

Amazing skylight action!

A creepy staircase!

Buttons, with machinery!

This will do something later!

Hexen Teleports!

The exit will probably be here!

Looking down through the window!

It looks far better, though the Hexen teleport looks strange.
Keep the good work :D

It gives me an idea. Like that Hexen teleport, make a Quake teleport somewhere else in the level. Then, make them follow to two parallel places.

This map have some interesing architecture, but there's too much gray.
Add some colors to this map so it will look better.