Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

Increasing Bullet Damage

How do I change the amount of damage a bullet does? I know how to change a particle, like a plasma shot or a rocket, but not a bullet.

IN B4 "USE ZDOOM"

It's not possible in dehacked, however with code pointers and manipulation of the frames it is possible to get a weapon to shoot two bullets at the same time, making one do "double damage". The "sniper rifle" in Twilight Warrior / the old Immoral Confduct Dehacked edition did things like that. "The Blessed Engine" somehow manipulated the chaingun to shoot every bullet the player had at once... even if they had 400!

That said... it's easier to use DECORATE which works with ZDoom...
(or DDF for EDGE!)

Well, im using zdoom. I have no idea how to make a DECORATE (I use Whacked) or what a DDF or EDF is.

Sry, im just kind of a noob at scripting.

I suppose maybe I could just make the pistol fire invisible tiny plasma shots at light speed?

Mik57 said:

I suppose maybe I could just make the pistol fire invisible tiny plasma shots at light speed?

If I'm recalling right, projectiles over a certain speed have a tendency to veer off to the side instead of shooting straight, but then ZDoom might change that too, I'm not sure.

In ZDoom, projectiles with very fast speeds move correctly.
As a side note, so do the ones in Hexen. See its Sapphire Wand projectiles.

There is the classic dehacked approach of assigning multiple hitscan codepointers in zero-duration succession to a weapon's firing state. Remove the weapon's refire codepointer and the randomization of the shot placement is disabled (so each hitscan hits at the same precide spot). Replace the BFG and you can specify how much ammo is used per shot (otherwise it will use a number of ammo equal to the number of codepointers used in the firing state).

It's potential for a flawless high-powered rifle on slot 7.

printz said:

In ZDoom, projectiles with very fast speeds move correctly.
As a side note, so do the ones in Hexen. See its Sapphire Wand projectiles.

Ah yes, but HeXen's Sapphire wand is a special case with code specifically for it.

IIRC the max speed for a normal projectile in the original engines was something like 25 before it started behaving a bit strangely. Has ZDoom fixed this then?

EarthQuake said:

There is the classic dehacked approach of assigning multiple hitscan codepointers in zero-duration succession to a weapon's firing state. Remove the weapon's refire codepointer and the randomization of the shot placement is disabled (so each hitscan hits at the same precide spot). Replace the BFG and you can specify how much ammo is used per shot (otherwise it will use a number of ammo equal to the number of codepointers used in the firing state).

I'm pretty sure the BFG ammo setting actually only affects the BFG-firing codepointer itself. You can use that codepointer on any weapon slot and it'll use the specified amount of ammo.

EarthQuake said:

Erm..?

Whacked wont let me do anything but edit existing properties. No adding frames. No adding things. No adding anything.

I tried making super fast plasma bullets once. Of course, this was an older version of ZDoom so I don't know how it may have changed, but when I did it the projectiles would go in weird directions past speed of about 30. The thing is, even with a moderate enough speed so that it would travel straight, I found out that it would begin to skip great distances. It seemed that the projectile was actually moving like a monster - a couple map units at a time - rather than tracing a true line and just animating the projectile over that line. It was most obvious when you shot the floor because the puff would appear a short distance ahead. Weird stuff!

Anyway, EarthQuake wasn't talking about adding things, just modifying the code pointers on weapon frames.