Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Few Questions by a Newbie

Hello!
I try to make maps for Heretic and HeXen, with the help of the great Doom-Builder.
Now I have collected a few questions I want to ask you:

1. I heard it isn't possible to create 3D floors with the Doom Builder. Which programs are able to do so?

2. How can I change the map name? For example I don't want that E1M1 is "the docks" anymore...

3. Which program is the best to edit sky and wall textures? Does there exist any tutorials for those programs?

Thank you,
yours faithfully,
Fenriswolf

(1) Using the original Heretic/Hexen engine? no. I refer you to GZDoom (supports heretic and Hexen).

(2)Again, this is not possible using the original Heretic/Hexen engine.

(3)If you want to edit textures, I recommend Photoshop or GIMP. If you want to add new textures to your wad, I suggest XWE

First, thank you!

1 + 2: I don't undestand it... I downloaded the GZdoom latest version. Yes, I can play HEretic with Gzdoom, but I wanted to create maps... Do I need anothe editor instead of Doombuilder? I don't really know what GzDoom has to do with an editor?

3: Yeah ok, I think I'll use Gimp but how can I open and edit the textures of the Wad with Gimp?

Doom engine does not support 3D floors. Never has. GZDoom is a different engine entirely, because of the hardware rendering, it can do 3D floors. You will need to choose the GZDoom configuration in Doom builder. go to the ZDoom wiki to look up how to make 3D floors in Doom builder.

Ok, thank you!

But I'm sure Ive played a map with 3D floors before, without ZDoom! Some parts of the map didn't work, but there were 3D floors. Maybe that was because I played it with skulltag?

And whats with the texture problem?

3D Floors are also on Skulltag which is based on ZDoom/GZDoom :)

Ok, thanks!

Mmh I thin, for me, 3D floors aren'T so important. But I want to learn more about MapInfo. Hof can I edit Mapinfo? First I thought It would be the script tool of Doombuilder and I wrote my MapInfo Scripts in there, but that doesn't works. Where can I put them in?

Fenriswolf said:

3: how can I open and edit the textures of the Wad with Gimp?

Can't be done. Use XWE to export and import the textures you want to edit.

EDIT - You can also create/edit MAPINFO scripts in XWE.

Great! I changed a few textures, it works :)

But you mentioned that it is also possible to edit the MAPINFO with XWE. Can you explain that?

Thank you!

Yeah, create a new Lump in your wad and title it MAPINFO (assuming its for a ZDoom based port) again, check the wiki for the format

3D floors are in EDGE (formerly DosDoom, which had them first), Legacy, GZDoom and Vavoom (but who uses that?).

However you need to "define" them in a special way, using a small sector somewhere which sets the floor, ceiling and side textures of your 3D floor (known as a "dummy sector" in jargon, basically think of it being stretched and turned inside out inside your map). You then need to "tag" a wall of the dummy sector and the area you want the 3D floor in, and don't forget to set the wall of the dummy sector to the 3D floor line-type (varies between ports).

You can't just open up Doom Builder and go "put a 3D floor here". Also i'm pretty sure they aren't visible in 3D mode, but i don't have the super-latest cutting edge version

Patrick Pineda said:

(2)Again, this is not possible using the original Heretic/Hexen engine.

Are you kidding? check the IWAD with Slumped or XWE, the graphics of the map titles are definitely in there

JohnnyRancid said:

Are you kidding? check the IWAD with Slumped or XWE, the graphics of the map titles are definitely in there

I assumed he meant chainging the actual name of the map in Code like Dehacked, or on the Automap.

Your both thinking of Doom, which stores it's intermission map names as graphics.

Heretic and HeXen don't use graphics. They use text definitions that can't be replaced without exe hacking (i.e hhe files) if your not using a source port.