Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

How many Doom wads made so far?

I wonder what is the estimated (or guesstimated) number for how many Doom wads that are made so far within the past 14 years since the Doom community have come a long way since then?

What are you classifying as a Doom WAD? I've made literally hundreds of small ones to test stuff out or as little scraps of things that I just wanted to see if I could do. Some of them have even been made public in some form or another. Or I've taken existing wads and messed around for the hell of it. My guess is is that most people who edit have made a few such WADs but I suspect that's not what you mean.

Probably a few hundred little scraps and maybe 75-100 semi-completely maps (not wads, individual maps).

Same..I have made 100's of little half maps that will never be completed let alone seen by the public. Like others have said...alot of bs/exermentation maps mostly.

If we limit the scope to wads that have been played/used by people other than the author (including beta releases, maps/resources submitted to community projects and the like) I'd estimate between 30-40 thousand.
If we include unreleased wads and intermediate builds - pick a number between one and infinity.

11314 total

6800 /levels for Doom 2
    2296 " " Doom
    335 " " Heretic
    182 " " Hexen
    6 " " HacX
    3 " " Strife

I'm guessing that's the archive, which IS where the bulk of completed and released wads are held... but lets not forget the Compuserve Action Forum (dead) and the AOL archive too (deleted indiscriminantly after columbine). Though what has been salvaged from the two (through shovelware CD's) is being added to the archive over time. Also there's peoples websites which have had wads on. I released several through now-dead sites, such as skewl.wad, the_core.wad, dmskewl.wad and aadmskewl.wad. The last being insanely fun in Doombot... i suspect the people that ever downloaded it numbered in the tens and they all deleted it soon after, so i'm not hoping to find those ones ever again

printz said:

11314[/b] total

I have close to 17k in my collection - including a lot that don't meet archive submission guidelines.

Maybe you're somewhat sarcastic -- but if not, then if that's likely, then there has to be a gigantic Doom community out there that has no contact at all with this one that uploads to /idgames. Ah, the dreams... Well, another less user-friendly wad repository (like for example fileplanet), that houses very many lower quality maps?

Does anyone know if the AOL directories are available anywhere online? Most of the original .wad files I've ever played were off of there, I'd like to see how little effort it took to impress me as a 13 year old.

I bet Rogue sold like three copies of Strife, back in the day.

As far as individual wads how can anyone possibly say for sure?

I know way back when I was releasing wad files as mancer01, mancer02, mancer03, etc etc, and then lumping each set of 5 levels into "MancerX". At some point whomever was maintaining that section of cdrom.com wisely deleted the individual level files while keeping the compilation MancerX files in the archive.

I assume many other wad authors at the time did the same thing as well. Not sure you'd want to count those sorts of things or not.

A dozen of your single-map wads were (probably still are) on Doom2.net. I'm sure someone out there is counting them even though they're no longer in the official archive.

I didn't know other archives still had em, I guess I wasn't looking. Not even I've had the individual files for quite a long time. Reading those old text files is good for a quick laugh. :) And then shaaaame. :(

On 6/26/2008 at 4:00 PM, printz said:

• 11314 total

6800 /levels for Doom 2
    2296 " " Doom
    335 " " Heretic
    182 " " Hexen
    6 " " HacX
    3 " " Strife

If I assume correctly, those numbers today are:

12,444 total

2632 levels for Doom

9099 levels for Doom 2

3 levels for Doom 64

474 levels for Heretic

222 levels for Hexen

7 levels for Strife

7 levels for Hacx

36 minutes ago, Doom64guy said:

If I assume correctly, those numbers today are:

12,444 total

2632 levels for Doom

9099 levels for Doom 2

3 levels for Doom 64

474 levels for Heretic

222 levels for Hexen

7 levels for Strife

7 levels for Hacx

I get slightly different results:

levels/doom: 2.771

levels/doom2: 10.386

levels/doom64: 7

levels/hacx: 7

levels/heretic: 501

levels/hexen: 236

levels/strife: 8

Total: 13.916

hm. this is probably one of the very few times that a necropost, especially one bumping a thread where the last post was made when i was only 7 years old and one of the posters, greyghost, has probably died of old age, turned out to add something of actual substance.

way to go @Doom64guy :)

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

No, from https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/. The beta frontend is out of sync and only has files up to 2018 or something.

How did we find the numbers in it?

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

hm. this is probably one of the very few times that a necropost, especially one bumping a thread where the last post was made when i was only 7 years old and one of the posters, greyghost, has probably died of old age, turned out to add something of actual substance.

way to go @Doom64guy :)

LOL.

Glad that the discussion is still relevant enough to be continued even 15 years later.

19 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I get slightly different results:
[...]

Total: 13.916

A number that obviously doesn't account for all of the wads not on /idgames. Of which I'd imagine there is a not-insignificant number.

Of course, what qualifies as a "wad" is another debate entirely, but it's safe to assume the total number of wads made in the past 29 years is nearing at least the 25k mark.

I'm curious what would be an appropriate estimate for all WADs (and PK3s and other formats, I guess) ever put up online. Obviously impossible to make even a decently accurate estimate, as it would need to account for anything ever released across forums, personal sites and so on. Also including the fact a significant amount have been lost to dead links and sites, etc. I wonder if the number in that regard would approach 100 000.