Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

Doom for Graphing Calculators?

I'm not sure, there probably is. I have a TI 83 and TI 83+ and I regularly put all sorts of programs on to my calculators. I put DOOM onto them before, but it really sucked.

I dunno if TICalc.org lists DOOM (I got it off of a different site), but they have a big archive of calculator games.

yeah, it's at ticalc.org. look hard enough. i've found doom for TI-82.

EDIT: I did find something of interest for the TI-89, see two pics here and here. (these were taken on a TI-89 emulator)

When I was playing with games on my TI83 there was a game titled 'Doom' on ticalc.org, but it was just a program that displayed a few lines on the screen. When you pushed the arrow keys the lines moved. It wasnt 3D or anything like Doom in any way. You'd have trouble having a game like Doom on a TI-8x, they probably cant even handle a wolfenstein-type engine (TI89s and other higher spec models excepted)

You're right.. You'll get about 200 SPF playing D3 on the TI82 :P

(FPS = frames per second.. SPF = seconds per frame)

You'll get about 200 SPF playing D3 on the TI82 :P

HAH! I don't think even Carmack could pull that off :)

I've found a workable Zelda game for the TI-83. It's pretty fun, if nightmarishly hard. It's pretty amazing to see what they managed to do with the calculator's "graphics" engine, although it still looks like shit. Oh, and it takes pretty much every variable slot the -83 has to offer, too. Not something you want on your machine during finals week. :)

My math teacher back in HS was Texas Instrument's cabana boy. Seriously. It was scary.

If you could even get a TI-82 or TI-83 to render Doom 3, it'd take a couple of months for each frame. It's like back in the day when they used to use the equivalent of a PII to render CG.

As far as oldDoom or even Wolfenstein on a TI calculator...I don't think they're 32-bit, even the 89/92s, so Doom is right out, and Wolfenstein requires a goodly bit of memory, more than either calculator has, AFAIK. Not to mention that even Wolf3D would run quite slow on the relatively slow processors of the 89 and 92. They're just not cut out for it.

Daedelus for the TI-85. that's the best example of a wolf3d clone. I'll post some screenshots soon.

yea fucking right, it would even be difficult to get a wolf3d clone to work. a TI-82 has only 4mhz and is the equal to a computer of the mid 70's. Infact i think only the high end ones are only equal to a 8086/apple IIe/C64. if u can port doom to any of those then u could do it for the calculators

I've played several 'games' (and I use that term very loosely) on a graphics calculator, forget what kind. They're fun, but they're more like 'time-wasters' than real games.

I've played several 'games' (and I use that term very loosely) on a graphics calculator, forget what kind. They're fun, but they're more like 'time-wasters' than real games.

And "real games", whatever that is, are what, excercises in philosophy?

High quality conversations with chat bots on your graphing calculator, DUH!

It's kinda like comparing SkiFree with SSX Tricky.

I messed around with TI-83 programming at one point. The most ambitious program I did was a half-assed (well, third-assed, really) CRPG-style combat system. Thing is, the program kept getting slower as the game moved on. It would fail with an error after the third fight.

Has anyone else monkeyed around with calculator programming?

yes, actually i have. i just know the basic shit on my 83+ like menues a.d lables and shit like that. basic needs things to get through my h/w without doing much work.

It's kinda like comparing SkiFree with SSX Tricky.

SkiFree is one of my favourite games. It's a work of genius.

Has anyone else monkeyed around with calculator programming?

I wrote a (very primitive) roguelike on TI-83+ Basic; I have tried assembly, but never wrote anything complicated enough to be a game.

Programming the calcs is a lot of fun, it gives you the opportunity to work with the "bare metal" which is very hard to do on the computers (of course I mean assembly programming here). Quite advanced stuff is possible even on simple calcs like ti-82 (there's a telnet client for ti-82... You just connect it to a modem, and voila - internet access). Too bad I suck at assembly :|

I noticed that the TICalc assembly language is a helluva lot simpler than, say, MIPS assembly for the PC. Or is that just me? :)

Alright, this was my goddamn subject, so i'm gonna respond!

I wanted to see if there was a 2D version, like Nibbles or Hockey; an above point of veiw. My other idea was a text-adventure style game..

whadaya think?

I noticed that the TICalc assembly language is a helluva lot simpler than, say, MIPS assembly for the PC. Or is that just me? :)

TI-83 and such use the z80 processor, which is IIRC an enhanced 8008. Go figure which one's more simple :)