Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarkavre

Diablo III announced!

Personally I'd like to see a game with RPG elements that doesn't have any magical healing items. It's like playing Doom against a horde of imps while swimming in medikits when you have potions.

Might give it a look, although I'll miss having a belt for potions. I don't ever recall needing to open the inventory for a potion after getting one of those big belts with 4 rows.

I do like the way it seems to have some tactical elements, though, like knocking over walls to crush enemies, instead of just mindlessly clicking on them.

Bucket said:

I couldn't play the originals for more then 5 minutes. What's the big deal about this game?

I feel the exact same way. But I'm curious how the new Diablo will be designed. Maybe I'll be able to play the new one for more than 5 minutes.

I like Diablo, but the endless repetitive dungeons really bored me to tears, so I never got past level 7 of that. Diablo 2 was a whole other deal though. Still play that at times.

Jodwin said:

Personally I'd like to see a game with RPG elements that doesn't have any magical healing items. It's like playing Doom against a horde of imps while swimming in medikits when you have potions.

I like the way WoW did it. You can use a potion only once every 2 minutes or so. One thing I hated in Diablo was when I was in the middle of a frantic battle and I tried hitting a potion key, only to hit 2 on accident and both were gone...there's a potion wasted. With a cooldown on it, eliminates that fear, though you could still potentially waste one anyway.

Danarchy said:

I like the way WoW did it. You can use a potion only once every 2 minutes or so. One thing I hated in Diablo was when I was in the middle of a frantic battle and I tried hitting a potion key, only to hit 2 on accident and both were gone...there's a potion wasted. With a cooldown on it, eliminates that fear, though you could still potentially waste one anyway.

Yeah but Diablo 2 is built around chain-potting to begin with.

Danarchy said:

Wasting a potion (or three) is something you do quite often whenever a Very Fast hero comes out of fucking nowhere and starts trashing you in Nightmare/Hell before you have a chance to react.

Yay, Diablo 3! I've been waiting for like.. well forever for it. :P

I saw the gameplay videos and nearly creamed my pants. It looked like it'd be very fun (and not very WoW at all). Plus the fact that Bnet play will still be free just like the last two games is also a very definite plus, I will be upgrading my computer when it comes out. :D

YESSS!!! I haven't been this excited about a game announcement in a long time. This game literally has the potential to turn me into an obese, anti-social, unemployed vegetable if I let it have it's way with me.

Patrick Pineda said:

I saw my buddies playing Diablo II. It reminded me of HeXen. Maybe I should play Diablo...

If you value having time to do other things like sleep, think, work, copulate, eat, breathe, avoid.

Bucket said:

I couldn't play the originals for more then 5 minutes. What's the big deal about this game?

Redundancy that's cleverly guised as incredulous amounts of fun.

You know, I just remembered this guy in my weight training class back in my senior year of high school (2002) who told me he could warez any game for me. He even had Doom 3, Quake 4, and Diablo 3! At this point, I guess his claim could actually make sense.

Arioch said:

Yeah but Diablo 2 is built around chain-potting to begin with.

True. The game is all about clicking and hitting buttons all over the place.

I'd play this.

Danarchy said:
He even had Doom 3

It must have been this one.

HWGuy said:

I think after hearing about this, I have to burn my pants. No way they'll ever be clean after this. But I still wonder how this new Diablo will play out. Last I heard, most of the Diablo II team had left and created Hellgate: London.

Thats all I felt that Hellgate was,futuristic diablo...
Still,I wonder if all this takes place in the same world as WOW.It might be a stupid question but it does make you think(maybe)
Nevertheless...now I have to save up even more money.Fallout 3,STALKER:Clear Sky,and diablo 3...goodbye 3 to 4 years of my life.

Haloless0320 said...
Still,I wonder if all this takes place in the same world as WOW.

Man, I hope not.

Er, Azeroth has orcs, elves and whatnot in addition to the demons, undead and beasts... And the Sanctuary world has angels, unlike Azeroth. Both universes have names, so I'm not worried.

I'm rather sure Azeroth was meant to mimic the Tolkien world (don't bash me for this), while the Sanctuary is merely a medieval/magic kind of place, invaded by demons. :) Like Hexen meets Doom or something. :P

Yeah but even in tolkien's world you don't hear much about the lands beyond middle earth.I mean you hear a little bit about the east but thats it.But then again I only read the mainstay of his books.Maybe the world that Diablo is set in is just somewhere else in the world,the demons might be part of the burning legion or something.*shrugs*Just a thought...

So I have a friend who was at the World of Warcraft Invitational in France, he says that the unveiling was not only THE SHIT (apparently Matt Uelmen or the like came out and played the Tristram music acoustically) but the game looks extra solid. He also told me the Starcraft 2 demo is sweet as well.

Warcraft was more of an epic fantasy with all kinds of unreal stuff like different races of all sorts and high magic and gods being summoned. Diablo, on the other hand is more along the lines of gothic fantasy. Very dark, humans are the only real intelligent race (aside from the angels and demons), and there's no cities being blown up with magic (just people, as can be seen in the D2 expansion opening :P).

Also, there are problems with the mythologies of the two games that prove they are two different universes. Diablo is pretty much like Catholic mythology. You have the angels warring against the demons, and there is at least a Hell which seems to lie below Sanctuary. Warcraft, on the other hand, basically puts the demons on other planets, with some of them being Legion-controlled and acting like different layers of Hell. The closest things to angels are the Naaru, who are very different than, say, Tiriel. In Diablo, Hell is ruled by the three Prime Evils and the four Lesser Evils below them. In Warcraft, the Legion is run by Sargeras. Also in Warcraft are the Titans, who seem to be neither angelic nor demonic, but rather a technologically advanced race that travels between the different worlds in spaceships (as do the Naaru). Sargeras is one of them that went bad, and it seems the only reason they care about him is that he started messing with Azeroth, which seems to be one of their big projects. That's mostly conjecture inferred from the Ulduman/Ulum questline though. They haven't even come back to Azeroth...yet.

So yeah, the mythologies don't really mesh, unless you say the Evils from Diablo are lieutenants of Sargeras or something dumb like that. But no, that's just dumb, and would detract from both universes IMHO.

Bank said:

(apparently Matt Uelmen or the like came out and played the Tristram music acoustically)

:O

That was my favorite track from the games, especially the extended version. I'm sad that you can't download that music from their website anymore.

Danarchy said:

gods

Really?? I haven't played World of Warcraft, and I don't want to. But so far most of the guys from the Diablo and Warcraft games have seemed fairly atheistic, believing in somebody called Light. Why...?

Bakkontapikc, well, the Barbarian moves seen on the website are hardly anything new, as they take stuff from the two Warcraft 3 stomper heroes. I've seen big bad virtual people hitting the ground and hurting everyone around or in front, so often. I would probably play as the quack, just because he looks so untechnological.

There are three things I really hope are in this:

1. Cow level
2. Better leveling system (I don't want to have to spend countless weeks doing countless Baal runs just to gain a single level. That is not my idea of fun.)
3. Assuming they're in this game, you shouldn't have to spend every waking moment for the next thousand years or so just to find a single Zod rune in order to make that Breath of the Dying. It just isn't worth the trouble. Runes, even the highest ones, should drop far more frequently.

printz said:

Really?? I haven't played World of Warcraft, and I don't want to. But so far most of the guys from the Diablo and Warcraft games have seemed fairly atheistic, believing in somebody called Light. Why...?

Well, that is kind of an interesting concept in WoW. There are beings labeled as "gods" but they just seem to be extremely powerful beings. There is The Light which is worshiped by the humans, dwarves, and Draenei. It doesn't seem to be a single being and in fact seems to be extruded by the Naaru (even forcibly as the blood elves did with M'uru). Then there is Elune, the goddess of the night elves, who seems to be a real deity, but interferes very little with the world (she gives night elf priests their powers and created the moonkin, that's about it). There are also the Elder Gods, Cthuluesque beings who were mostly killed by the Titans in the early days of Azeroth, but a few still exist. Finally, there are Elemental Gods who seem to be just really powerful elementals, such as Ragnaros. It was him I was mostly referring to in my last post. He was summoned by the emperor of the Dark Iron dwarves, and in so doing, destroyed the landscape for miles around.

Man, I know way too much about Warcraft.

Danarchy said:

Man, I know way too much about Warcraft.

It's okay. Too many people know too much about Warcraft, that's what. :P

Thanx for illuminating me about Elune's existence, so afterall there are Gods in that gameuniverse.

Gee, now I wonder about Diablo III: what new worlds are they going to put? I hope they'll still follow the traditional Heaven-Earth-Hell motif, with as few outer-dimensions as possible. They already seem to be remaking the Tristram dungeon, revamped with cool designs (but still the same old brown zombies and cracky skeletons). Wow. I'd rather try some original monster designs too, maybe also remove some of the simplistic ones (like the zombies, of course).

There'll probably be a bit of Heaven: after all, it's about a "Comet" (okay, comets are normal, there's a similar Diablo quest with a falling rock). There's also a big angel face greeting the navigator on entering the blizzard diablo3 site. Another speculation: they could be going for introducing the alien monster category into the game rules - along with animals, undead, demons, surely. Something like those aberations from D&D (or beings from the Cthulhu mythos? haven't read it yet) wouldn't be a surprise. Not at all.

REZIAARRRRRRFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Would be sweet.

Haloless0320 said:

Still,I wonder if all this takes place in the same world as WOW.It might be a stupid question but it does make you think(maybe)

They are completely separate.

printz said:
There's also a big angel face greeting the navigator on entering the blizzard diablo3 site.

I'm going to guess that because the Soulstones of the Prime Evils were destroyed in Diablo 2, there is going to be some plot involving Tyrael the Archangel falling from Heaven, going crazy(probably from destroying the Worldstone), turning evil and through some loophole, is able to use his Angelic/Divine/Quasi-Deity abilities to revive (at the very least) Diablo.

That aside, Diablo 3 looks sweet and my only hope is that they have the Paladin return.

I am wondering what's with all the Diablo III logos being red and Hellish on the underside and then glowing with white light above. Plus, on the WoW start-up window right now, the header on the Diablo III pic says "And the heavens...shall tremble", with the first part in the "holy" coloring and the last part in the "unholy" color.

So I'm guessing that the angels will be a lot more involved this time than just Tyrael. They might even be enemies at one point in the game, who knows?

Danarchy said:

So I'm guessing that the angels will be a lot more involved this time than just Tyrael. They might even be enemies at one point in the game, who knows?

Sanctuary was a haven for some angels and demons who got fed up with the never ending, relentless War. The Heaven's only interest in safekeeping Sanctuary was to prevent Hell from gaining the numerous tactical advantages stemming from owning a whole new realm of existence.

Now that the former barriers are gone, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to turn against both sides who just happen to think they can keep waging their stupid war where humans live. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Diablo series end with the existence of divinities and Humans finally get hold of their own Destiny.