• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

interview kevin cloud (doom related)

http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~dteam/article.php?sid=54

Most intresting parts:

dolo: Each sequel of a game comes with liberties and limitations. How true is this statement for Doom 3?

Kevin Cloud: I guess every game comes with limitations, but I don’t see that DOOM presents any more limitations because it is a sequel. It will take place in the DOOM universe, but the goal is not to recreate some aspect of the original game. When people first played DOOM they felt more “inside” the game than ever before—like it was a real place. Players physically reacted to fear or surprise with jumping, ducking, and dodging in their chair. Looking at DOOM today I think id will be able to deliver again on that feeling of being more in the game than ever before.

dolo: What kinds of technical innovation can we see with Doom 3 and what facet of Doom 3 impresses you the most right now?

Kevin Cloud: There is still some R&D going into DOOM and John and Adrian would put a contract out on me if I talked specifically about innovations in DOOM.

Also, maybe you've read it already, maybe you haven't, but on an interview GameSpy took from Kevin Cloud, there were two things Kevin mentioned about DOOM:

I'll be using Alias's Maya for the modeling and animating in the new DOOM as well. Maya is substantially different than PowerAnimator and I'm just now picking it up.

- Kevin Cloud

Without a doubt, the near future for real-time games is seen today in pre-rendered cinematics. It is just a matter of time. Given what the guys here are producing for the next technology it is evident that many of those goals will be reached sooner rather than later.

- Kevin Cloud

Kevin Cloud: When people first played DOOM they felt more “inside” the game than ever before—like it was a real place. Players physically reacted to fear or surprise with jumping, ducking, and dodging in their chair. Looking at DOOM today I think id will be able to deliver again on that feeling of being more in the game than ever before.

I´m happy id is aware of this most important point.

I´m currently playing RTCW, very nice game, but those interupting cutscenes again disturb the feeling of really beeing there. On the other hand, there are many cool scripted events in-game.

Heh, they keep adding secrets... that's driving me insane.

On the other hand, this guy needs an ego :)

I'm the guy who interviewed Kevin. Just had to mention that with Christmas coming and DOOM being still in R&D, it's hard to get certain questions out and answered without any speculation. Down the line, we'll get more scoops about DOOM and let everyone know.

I'm really looking forward to the MOOD in DOOM. :)

~dolo

dolo - we all do :)

Hopefully, it won't be too long before we'll get a glimpse on the actual game!

Hopefully, it won't be too long before we'll get a glimpse on the actual game!

I could do without that. I'd rather prefer to remain "in the dark" and get really surprised when the game's finally out and on my computer screen.

I'm not looking for lots of interviews, an assload of screenshots and movies gathered from E3 presentations...

I just want them to officially announce certain facts and features of the game. This makes the targeted audience look for something solid and not dream about a game that is not.

I'm not looking for lots of interviews, an assload of screenshots and movies gathered from E3 presentations...

I just want them to officially announce certain facts and features of the game. This makes the targeted audience look for something solid and not dream about a game that is not.

Could do as well....
..as long as they don't reveal too many features.
RtCW was dissapointing to some people, because they had read in previews how "awesome" the "AI" was in the game, but when it came out, they found that the enemy was still "too easy" to kill (they propably expected human-like intelligence). I was satisfied with the behaviour of the enemies in RtCW, but it wasn't as unexpected as I would've preferred it, because I had read too many previews/interviews describing the "AI" in detail.

I don't want all the cool features of the game to be revealed BEFORE the released game is on my computer screen.