Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kira

Spira - Demo

Spira - Demo version

6 maps made in a total amount of more or less 24h, I was focused on short and fun maps.
The final version will has 32 maps.

Map 01 :
Made around a simple geometric figure, tyson action.

Map 02 :
A start close of E4M2, unlinear map.

Map 03 :
A base in a rock at the middle of the sea, you can push the switchs to allow the exit in the order do you wish.

Map 04 :
You have a bomb in your ass, push the wrong switch and you die, there is a hint. A reference to the Yin-Yang here.

Map 05 :
A mirror map, two different ends, choose the way do you wish.

Map 06 :
Unlinear map one more time, in a creek.

Download link : http://lsvc.free.fr/Misc/spirademo.zip

Thanks to Squonk for the hosting.

Every feedback is welcome ;)

What is this supposed to be!?! These suck so bad. They're ugly and no challenge at all. >=(

Just kidding, K!r4. I'm messing with you. But all joking aside, I've been waiting to play some of your recent maps. I must say, these were quite fun to play. Map03 was my favorite. I must've killed those chaingunners several times before I paid enough attention to realize they're hard to kill. =P I didn't get the map04 switch puzzle, so guess what I did. I hit one and died, so I hit another and then I hit a third. Since all killed me, the last switch had to open the door by process of elimination. Even for short maps, the gameplay was nice and the design was solid.

Good job *thumbs up* =)

Thank you for the feedback DD :)
For the map 04, use your sight a bit more :P

I don't upload this demo in idgames as my progress is quick enough, then I'll upload the finished version with 32 maps.

I'll try to stay in this conceptual style but the challenge will raises a bit more at each map.

K!r4 said:

For the map 04, use your sight a bit more :P

Ah, I see now how I know which switch to hit. Nice one.

Tango will say:
Awesome :D Map03 is my favorite.

See? Map03 is sweet.

I am being very curious. Will your maps change themes or will they remain similar like the first 6?

Fun stuff. I like small levels like these.

I did notice one bug on the last map, though. The split door's floor is higher than its ceiling when you start, so it produces a graphical error in some ports.

Death-Destiny said:

Will your maps change themes or will they remain similar like the first 6?

I'm bored of this theme now, so I'll change for map 07 to 11, then I'll change again till 15, etc :)

@Nuxius : Thanks, I'll check this bug.

PS : yeah I thought map03 was the best one... though I'm proud of all of these maps.

I have just finished playing through the 6 levels, and I gotta say, the levels were just short and simple and satisfying and really enjoyable. I enjoyed the lots of little unexpected things.... I'll be general here so as I dont give away too much to anyone reading this who hasnt played the levels yet... but I did like the revenants... they were a nice surprise. The use of archviles was always good. If you were quick and aware of cover around you, then you would come out ok. I liked the 4 switches on lvl 4, and the "clue" that you gave. I smiled when I saw it.

I like the fact that the little puzzles were easy to work out, but still satisfying to complete, like some of the running across chasms. I didnt find all of the secrets, which means that ur levels are no too dependent on the stuff in the secrets, which is good.

They have a very doom 1 feel to them... obviously. I liked the weapon balance, the amount of ammo was perfect. I would have had slightly less health, but then again, I tend to do too little health on my levels.

Nice, tightly playable levels. Amazing that you did these in 24 hours.

I look forward to the rest of them..... I expect them done by tomorrow... :P

24 hours is a total, in fact I take few hours per map in a day.
But as I'm in holiday, and that my skill mapping is improved in term of speed, I can take a complete week end on it to make something like 6 or 7 working layout and polish them later.
So it shouldn't take me too many time to finish an enjoyable mapset...
Of course, I'd like to make levels a bit more complex (but still quick and fun to play...) like mini slaughters, ect... so it can take a bit more time for the later maps.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback guys, now I know that this mapset should definitely be completed... I'll start a demo thread with the final version, to see a nice demopack for it :)
I can already imagine Gusta tysoning most of the maps :P

Because of the playlist ? :P
I dunno if I'll keep the plutonia playlist, but it fit perfectly with a wad which combinates Doom and Doom II in term of style...
Perhaps I'll keep it with few changes here and there (like the d5m1/king1/sc2-31 music I had in my head while playtesting the map03).
But I'll see if my new computer handle well the midis, as this one seems do not play midis anymore (though yes in GZDoom which works strangely good now).

I really liked these maps. You have a playful mapping style - if that doesn't sound too wierd. I'm hoping these will inspire me to be more disciplined in the size of my own levels.

I've always loved the early levels from the classic megawads most, I assume because they tend to me smaller.

Looking forward to the rest of the set.

K!r4 said:

Because of the playlist ? :P
I dunno if I'll keep the plutonia playlist, but it fit perfectly with a wad which combinates Doom and Doom II in term of style...
Perhaps I'll keep it with few changes here and there (like the d5m1/king1/sc2-31 music I had in my head while playtesting the map03).
But I'll see if my new computer handle well the midis, as this one seems do not play midis anymore (though yes in GZDoom which works strangely good now).

That and the overall earthy feel of the maps...alot of brown and green.Of course that doesnt mean anything bad cause I for one enjoy Plutonia and TNT

I guess... Plutonia is my favorite Iwad so it should has an influence in my mapping style (and I'm assuming Plutonia 2 map07 is my first map).
Don't worry, I've just catched the occasion to speak about the musics :P
I'm not sure about how it fit with the maps, as I can't read the MIDIs these days...

I enjoy these small levels, it changes from usual megawads.
It's a pleasure to beta-test your awesome maps, so keep going ;)

Thanks Squonk ! You can be sure that you'll have few new maps to test sunday :P

Noticed that I had a lot of tutti fruttis on ZDaemon, I'll take care of this in my next maps.
Thx to the Zd community.

Note on how to avoid vertically tiling texture TFEs:
- if mapping for limit-removing or vanilla, don't try to tile any kind of texture not 128 units tall;
- for ZDoom, note that only powers of two tall textures will look okay, others will still leave some garbage;
- for Boom, the bug is completely fixed, but it's still possible some will see it by playing in ZDoom, as that port is not based on Boom!

Thx for these precisions printz !
I'll fix the 6 first maps before working on the next theme (I have some ideas for, so be ready to be surprised :P).

Some nice quite short level designs. Less difficulty usually means less replay value for me. Favorite is the 2x pain elemental level and I like the 1st level hub room. The part where 3 of 4 switches kill you is a nice idea but in practice maybe not so good for actual gameplay (because the gameplay to solve it merely requires orderly trial/search (I actually stopped playing the nes role playing game crystalis because the later mazes came down to this: try path a, wrong, b, wrong, c, correct, c.a wrong, c.b, wrong, c.c wrong, c.d correct etc etc which is boring for a game imo)
At the boat that said 'jump' I maybe did it wrong. I normally never use the jump key but figured I was supposed to use it to jump in the boat (later I thought maybe you're supposed to run/jump from the cliff). At the arch and 4 chaingunners I never figured out how to get the end poles lowered to exit.

gggmork said:

The part where 3 of 4 switches kill you is a nice idea but in practice maybe not so good for actual gameplay (because the gameplay to solve it merely requires orderly trial/search

Uhhhh the hint is so easy to find... a french mate said me it was too easy even.

At the boat that said 'jump' I maybe did it wrong. I normally never use the jump key but figured I was supposed to use it to jump in the boat (later I thought maybe you're supposed to run/jump from the cliff).

Indeed a str40 is enough to do it.

At the arch and 4 chaingunners I never figured out how to get the end poles lowered to exit.

Not seen any switch here and there ? :P
Perhaps you have triggered the lines in front of them which permit to lower two of the bars... Anyone else has this problem ?

Anyway thx for the feedback !