Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Theossy

It can't be too late to buy Ultimate Doom!

I'm really eager to buy Ultimate Doom (The package that contains Final Doom, Doom 2, New levels for Final doom?) Played this game a long time ago, and apart from it being the coolest game ever, it's really stirred up some nostalgia in me :)

So I wish to buy it, but that seems like a challenge. I live in Denmark by the way. I've been browsing the net for places in Copenhagen to buy this, and I've even been around in many shops.

I was wondering if anybody (From Denmark) knows of a place to buy this game. I know this is an international forum, and that the replies therefore will be limited, if any at all.

However, it is a man's right to dream right ? ^^

What do you seek is "Doom Collector" ;)
I've to buy it again also as I've lost my CDs the last year... and still want to have a physical product.

If you don't absolutely want a physical product, and you aren't against using strange software that may be secretly fucking up your computer, it is possible to buy them from Steam.

Does Amazon ship internationally? http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Doom-Collectors-Edition/dp/B000WB60RY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1214783463&sr=8-1

After you do that, you can just copy the Setup/*/*.{wad,WAD} files from the CD directly and use any source port. If you're looking for the original experience, check out Chocolate Doom. If you don't care for the original experience, just check out the sticky in this forum.

Gez said:

and you aren't against using strange software that may be secretly fucking up your computer,

You missed the anti-Steam tinfoil hat bandwagon by about five years.

Hi,

you will find dozends of international resellers on ebay that offer factory packed Doom Collectors Edition DVDs for approx $30. I had no problem ordering one here in Germany recently. The Dollar is incredible cheap at the moment, so this is the right time to import US stuff.

Faust

Doctor Faust said:

The Dollar is incredible cheap at the moment, so this is the right time to import US stuff.

I live in the US, you insensitive clod!

(this is a slashdot reference... don't take it seriously)

eBay's worldwide listings would be the best bet. You might have to open a PayPal account - depending on the seller's location.

Okay! Wow, never expected to see so many replies ;) That's really great guys, I appreciate it a lot.

Anyway, the thing is I kinda gave in to temptation and bought it over Steam^^ I told myself "you can always get the hard copy later on..." and went nuts. Now I've satisfied my nostalgia after clearing "Knee-deep in the dead" and I've just started on the "Shores of hell" episode. However, recently a problem have arisen.

"DOSbox DOS Emulator has stopped working" Is what it's saying when I try to open Doom. It's kinda unfortunate, but I'm unsure what it means. :>

Oh, download and install (G)ZDoom somewhere, and it'll automatically detect the Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexen/Deathlords IWADs you have bought from Steam, and let you play them. It'll be better than the old engine in DOSBox. :)

Gez said:

It'll be better than the old engine in DOSBox. :)

That is subjective since the old engine defines how doom should be played with its physics and such

In reply to Gez's post, but addressing the people in general:

No. In Hexen, for example, ZDoom makes the Ettins pushable by most, if not all weapons. Normally IIRC they're only pushable by Fighter's guns. But the Cleric's mace and Mage's chilling hands shouldn't push them back. But in ZDoom they do, making the game significantly and undeservingly easier. If you want full cleric or mage difficulty on dealing with such enemies, try another source port, that keeps their behaviour. Or simply try Hexen.exe.

So I just downloaded ZDoom. What a wonderful piece of device! Whenever I would pick up an item in Doom BEFORE I had ZDoom (health bonus, armor bonus, new weapon, ammo etc.) I would lagg a little. Also, there was an anomaly at the top center of the screen. Zdoom fixed all this. It's like a whole new game? It's not like you download doom is it? From what I gathered it's merely a device that tracks your doom programs and plays them in an enhanced way? (I realize there are different opinions on this :)

Thanks! You solved my problem Gez ;)<3

I'll see if I can explain this simply and quickly.

All of the levels of the Doom games, and the data that goes in the levels (textures, music, monster sprites, etc.) all still has to be bought and paid for. This data is all located in the file with a .wad extension. However, the engine that actually runs the game (Doom.exe or Doom2.exe) is free, and the source code for the engine has been released. ZDoom is one of very many programs that used the source code to make a better engine with more features and more stability. To work, these better engines only need the .wad files that you bought. There's no problem with deleting everything else that you've downloaded from Steam.

ZDoom is a good engine to start with. If you want an experience that's very close to the original Doom (but actually works on Windows, unlike the version bought off Steam) then do a Google search for "chocolate doom". If you want a more modern visual appearance to the game, search for gzdoom.

leileilol said:

That is subjective since the old engine defines how doom should be played with its physics and such

I can live with an imp's corpse gliding on eight map units instead of nine after a shotgun blast. :p

If ports weren't better than the original engine, then people wouldn't use ports.

printz said:

In reply to Gez's post, but addressing the people in general:

No. In Hexen, for example, ZDoom makes the Ettins pushable by most, if not all weapons. Normally IIRC they're only pushable by Fighter's guns.

IIRC, in Hexen, the fighter doesn't have any gun. :p Spiked gauntlets, axe, hammer and sword, yes. Gun, no. ;)

People are arguing that the gameplay in ZDoom is completely different from Doom... This is simply not true. The slight differences are mostly the removal of movement code glitches (like wallrunning) and even then there are compatibility options to get the old bugs back. To notice changes, one needs to be an obsessive Doom player.

Gez said:

To notice changes, one needs to be an obsessive Doom player.

Which happens to include quite a lot of people on Doomworld :P

Now, your choice of engine is mostly guided by opinion (where it's not, is usually for port-specific PWADs of course), and none of them are necessarily better or worse than the other. For someone that wants a purely vanilla experience, Chocolate Doom is probably what you're looking for. If it's Boom with few added features and for modern operating systems, PrBoom(-plus) should do fine. If it's tons of features out of the wazoo, then you'll probably love (G)ZDoom. If it's client/server multiplayer, then Odamex, Skulltag, and ZDaemon probably fit your cup of tea.

printz said:

try another source port, that keeps their behaviour. Or simply try Hexen.exe.

I'm not sure there is a port that doesn't change the behaviour in Hexen to some degree. I'm aware that DaniJ and co are making efforts to provide good compatibility in jHexen, but last time tried it (with the wad starship) there were some significant issues (which actually broke the hub structure IIRC). The closest I know of is uHexen - to get it working in XP, I needed to do the following:

• Replace the SDL files supplied with up-to-date ones. I just grabbed those in the current prboom-plus, though you could get them from many other places, notably http://www.libsdl.org
  • Set the compatibility mode for uhexen.exe to Windows 98 / Windows Me

Gez said:

People are arguing that the gameplay in ZDoom is completely different from Doom... This is simply not true. The slight differences are mostly the removal of movement code glitches (like wallrunning) and even then there are compatibility options to get the old bugs back. To notice changes, one needs to be an obsessive Doom player.

The differences are many, and go beyond tiny visual things; and even when compatibility options exist, they don't necessarily restore the original behaviour. Frankly, when I use Zdoom for more than a few seconds, I start to notice things working differently - things working that wouldn't otherwise, or vice versa. Then again, my biggest area of interest in Doom is [speedrunning] tricks, which tend to depend on the quirks of the engine, so I am especially liable to notice these differences.

Gez said:
People are arguing that the gameplay in ZDoom is completely different from Doom... This is simply not true.

You're right, it's not true that they're arguing that.

To notice changes, one needs to be an obsessive Doom player.

Rather, to use both Doom (or a compatible) or ZDoom enough to tell the differences whenever you use the other. Although one can also also learn about many of the differences through research, discussion, or coding knowledge.

Likewise, an obsessive player that uses one engine but stays clear of the other may forget or be unaware of many differences.

What exactly are some of the majorly noticable differences between something like Doom 95 or ZDoom and the vanilla exe (except for the obvious additions like jumping, freelook, etc.)?

wouldn't all of these sourceport comparisons be better if they were in their own topic? I think Theossy has all the help he needs at this point :p

Mik57 said:
wouldn't all of these sourceport comparisons be better if they were in their own topic?

Nope; side topics are fine in threads, and they are moved only when mods consider them problematic.

Theossy said:

So I just downloaded ZDoom. What a wonderful piece of device! Whenever I would pick up an item in Doom BEFORE I had ZDoom (health bonus, armor bonus, new weapon, ammo etc.) I would lagg a little. Also, there was an anomaly at the top center of the screen.

Geforce cards and SDL don't like palette changes
play in a window, or edit dosbox.conf and change output= to a setting that is not surface

myk said:

You're right, it's not true that they're arguing that.

See leileilol and printz.

myk said:

Rather, to use both Doom (or a compatible) or ZDoom enough to tell the differences whenever you use the other. Although one can also also learn about many of the differences through research, discussion, or coding knowledge.

The original poster didn't strike me as a detail-obsessed purist:

Theossy said:

I'm really eager to buy Ultimate Doom (The package that contains Final Doom, Doom 2, New levels for Final doom?) Played this game a long time ago, and apart from it being the coolest game ever, it's really stirred up some nostalgia in me :)

This doesn't say "I want all of this to be faithfully kept," but "I haven't played Doom for many years and want to play it again."

For some reason the DOSBox installed by Steam got broken. I indicated a port which I like and which I knew has a feature allowing it to automatically find the Doom iwads when they've been purchased from Steam. That's all.

You should know that it would start up a debate on which the best way to play Doom is. It's like telling someone to just use vi to edit the config--it will start an editor war.

Plus, if you notice the page I linked too, (G)ZDoom have some major bugs that can keep you from completing even the normal IWADs. I say that it's a rather major issue.

MikeRS said:

Plus, if you notice the page I linked too, (G)ZDoom have some major bugs that can keep you from completing even the normal IWADs. I say that it's a rather major issue.

Major bugs that prevent completion? I don't suppose you refer to the "blur sphere = invisible" bit:

I can walk into the last part of Gauntlet while invisible and the three pinkies across the way don't notice that I'm there. They just stand there until I do something to wake them up. There are plenty of gameplay and compatibility options, but that's not one of them.

There's no way it could prevent completion. No, you must refer to the "broken trigger" bug:

GZDoom has an ambient light setting and gamma adjustment that work and that stick from one run to the next. Alas, it also has a broken trigger. In Gauntlet, the square wall that is dead ahead in the screenshot below is supposed to lower when one of the two switches is thrown, but it does not.

Well, I've just made two playthrough of the Gauntlet in GZDoom. In neither of them did this bug happen. Indeed, in both cases the square wall lowered to free the demons inside.
Furthermore, it's odd that he didn't notice the same bug while testing ZDoom, since the code that manages the map is exactly the same.

By the way, I have played through Ultimate Doom (all four episodes), Doom2, TNT Evilution, Plutonia Experiment, Heretic Shadows of Serpent Ridern (all five episodes) and Hexen with GZDoom, and finished all levels with 100% completion everywhere (except for those bugged levels where 100% completion is impossible because of flaws in level design). I completed them. In GZDoom. So completion is possible.

Gez said:
See leileilol and printz.

I did. They said nothing about "completely different" like you did.

detail-obsessed purist

These words used thus in this context are demeaning (attributing morbid behavior). It's like saying that to like GZDoom you have to be obsessed with inserting extraneous modern details and features into the DOOM games.

Furthermore, it's odd that he didn't notice the same bug while testing ZDoom, since the code that manages the map is exactly the same.

Perhaps there was a bug in some version of GZDoom, or his CFG was different and somehow affected game behavior.

People should be required to use dosbox or Chocolate Doom if it is their first time playing. Quick, call your local representatives.