Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

Scientists Doom the World (maybe)

In August, scientists will activate the largest atom smasher ever. the hopes are to find things like dark matter and other dimensions. but some people think it will DOOM THE EARTH!

I don't know how you can stay that although I will admit that a resonance cascade scenario is extremely unlikGordon doesn't need to hear about this he's a highly trained professional we've assured the administrator that nothing will go wrong

Does it really matter if everyone on Earth instantaneously dies? Seriously. I can't think of how that would be a bad thing. Nobody would feel any pain, and there would be traumatized survivors. Ok, there are a handful of people on the international space station. They could just jerk off one last time and hop into space.

Wagner and others filed a lawsuit to halt operation of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, or RHIC, at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York state in 1999. The courts dismissed the suit.

So it's just some bunch of people who go around trying to stop all particle-level research just because they are right? Reminds me of Jack Thompson.

Have we all forgotten so quickly what happened the last time we tried to open up an alternate dimension? Now I like pentagram shaped teleporters as much as the next guy but I must admit last time we did this it really fucked up Mars.

Damn you Bank! I wanted to make that Doom reference.

And this is just fucking great! I have like two month to build a relationship worth dying for. Fuck! And how can they give re-assurance of their competency if this is completely new ground?

Ah well, we all thought the atomic bomb would blow out the ozone layer and that didn’t happen…to such a degree.

Bank said:

Have we all forgotten so quickly what happened the last time we tried to open up an alternate dimension? Now I like pentagram shaped teleporters as much as the next guy but I must admit last time we did this it really fucked up Mars.

Particle-sized demons? Yeah, I'm wetting my pants right now.

If I recall correctly - for the first atomic bomb test two jeeps were parked outside the control bunker with their engines running in case the blast set the atmosphere on fire, forcing the bunker's occupants to beat a hasty retreat. We avoided that catastrophe and with any luck (50 million to 1) the Earth won't be consumed by one of Stephen Hawking's miscalculations.

But some critics fear the Large Hardon Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Annihilation is beyond wildest conjecture?

leileilol said:
I don't know how you can stay that although I will admit that a resonance cascade scenario is extremely unlikGordon doesn't need to hear about this he's a highly trained professional we've assured the administrator that nothing will go wrong

They're waiting for you Gorden, in the test chamberrrrrr.

I thing these fearmongers don't have a sufficient grasp on physical laws. How could such a (comparatively tiny) machine create enough energy to unleash that kind of destruction? Hell, if it could do that it could probably solve all energy problems the earth faces... ;)

From my point of view, I don't want them to take the risk. Is the untimely destruction of the Earth really worth looking a few new dimensions? Um, no actually - no one will know anything after that. :( They're treading on dangerous earth here - literally - messing around with the cosmos was not a power given to man to mess around with.

I'm frikkin' paranoid now. >:[

We've had posts about this thing before, i can tell without even clicking the link.

Let me guess, it's activated "next autumn" or some such vague date?

Jimmy91 said:

From my point of view, I don't want them to take the risk. Is the untimely destruction of the Earth really worth looking a few new dimensions? Um, no actually - no one will know anything after that. :( They're treading on dangerous earth here - literally - messing around with the cosmos was not a power given to man to mess around with.

I'm frikkin' paranoid now. >:[

lol

The "Things Man Was Not Meant To Know(tm)" angle is cool in Lovecraftian novels, but rubbish in reality.

It's not "messing with the cosmos to discover new dimensions", it's colliding small particles to break them up into tiny tiny tiny bits.

and lol aol news. So stupid with its two polls, "do you think this will destroy the world? OMG!"

Jimmy91 said:

From my point of view, I don't want them to take the risk.

Good thing people with your "point of view" (ignorant bandwagon jumping/mistrust of science/vague anti-intellectualism) don't get to decide everything. And when the practical benefits of this science arrive, you'll have no problem ungratefully benefiting from them.

Cool, I didn't know this was almost completed. Now we just need to finish the Superconducting Super Collider.

Mixed feelings on this one...A little excited because of the whole Inter-Dimensional Travel thing,and a little terrified due to the risk theyre taking.
I mean hell,Chernobyl had an army of scientists they knew what they were doing but that didn't stop the whole human arrogance from stepping in the way and continuing the test even though they knew the risk that they were taking.
That and the whole alien/demon/interdimensional beast invasion thing.Ia Ia Yog-Sothoth!!!lol

Umm... a black hole that size using only the Earth's mass will collapse in milliseconds.

alexz721 said:

Cool, I didn't know this was almost completed. Now we just need to finish the Superconducting Super Collider.

And then we can move onto the fifteen hundred megawatt superconducting supercolliding super button.

Haloless0320 said:

I mean hell,Chernobyl had an army of scientists they knew what they were doing

Lol.

Not scientists, engineers.

And they didn't know what they were doing, because they were conducting an experiment to see how well the RBMK safety systems would behave. Turned out, they behaved poorly...

I have no worries of them accidently creating a black hole. On the other hand, they say one of the things they're trying to do is find another dimension. I think from years of TV and movies we know how that will end. At best, it would be like Event horizon. At worst, it would be like Doom or Half-Life. I guess we could end up making something like a stargate, though. That would be pretty cool.

Contrarily to what is said in B series, "dimension" doesn't mean "parallel world"...

Oh, and:

Graf Zahl said:

I thing these fearmongers don't have a sufficient grasp on physical laws. How could such a (comparatively tiny) machine create enough energy to unleash that kind of destruction? Hell, if it could do that it could probably solve all energy problems the earth faces... ;)

I remember reading an article (I believe on Slashdot) that discussed what kind of particles the collider worked with and said that the the most damaging that could happen is stuff already going on with similar particles in the universe: including on Earth.

Anyone who has been paying attention to this knows that loads of scientists have manage to throw all these silly "it will destroy the world" black hole theories and such straight out the window. The odds of it actually doing anything damaging are extremely low, and if it does create a black hole it would be so small and weak that it would maybe last a fraction of a second before disappearing. This isn't fantasy, the odds of this turning into a real world Half-Life or something are pretty much impossible.

I wish people would wisen up a bit and quit hopping on the tin foil hat the world will end bandwagon.

exp(x) said:

OH SHIT GUYS

Thats a pretty inaccurate model of black hole destruction, at least as I see it. :P

Yeah,I suppose some of us get a little wrapped up in our "Killin' demons!" world.I blame boredom...and society.
But after looking into it I feel alot more at ease,don't feel like I'm gonna have to start barricading my home and stocking up on food and ammo.

kristus said:

Look at it from the bright side, after armageddon. There'll be world peace :o

Correct :P