Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chungy

Star Trek: The Experience closing its doors :(

They should make Doom, the experience. And Stroggo, the experience. That'd get me interested. :o

Heh, I never got to go to that. Which is sad, because it's one of the very few things in Vegas that would interest me.

Danarchy said:

Heh, I never got to go to that. Which is sad, because it's one of the very few things in Vegas that would interest me.

I've been on it before. I personally despise Star Trek but it was really awesome. You flew over Vegas in a some kind of craft in part of it.

Gene Roddenberry tried to play naked robber with him.

Also, Firefox recognizes Roddenberry and Klingon as legitimate words. Hmmm...

When I was a kid, before we had DirecTV we had to watch TV by the little bunny ears, and ordinarily I would watch TV shows on UPN or WB, or whichever channel it was on, and whenever it hit around 5:00PM, Star Trek came on. I was about 6 years old at the time and could hardly pay attention to what was happening. And it seemed whenever I watched it, it was just endless lines of dialogue back and forth to different weird looking freaks, and no action or change in setting ever. It was quite possibly the most boring thing I had ever seen, and since then I had never had any interest in Star Trek whatsoever.

I assume not. Wasn't Voyager on only like 2-3 years ago? I imagine it was the Next Gen.

Anyway yea Star Trek really doesn't do much for me, except maybe the original. And even then, I can't get gung ho about it

TNG ended before UPN premiered. Voyager was on from 1995-2001, and was UPN's "leading" show most of the time... and then Voyager went off the air and an almost-as-bad show (mind you, this is like saying Windows Vista is better than Millennium) called Enterprise came.

It's kind of sad. The last good show was Deep Space Nine, and that ended in 1999.

However a "new" Doctor Who exhibition is opening after the original one in Blackpool closed in the 80's. And it's coming to London sometime soon! (i don't live in London but it's a damn sight closer than Blackpool). That should be good.

TNG and DS9 are both great shows. The original series is okay but really cheesy. Voyager and Enterprise were both horrible, boring monstrosities.

Anyway, Babylon 5 is better than any Trek series by far.

Sad news, not that I would ever have gotten there.

Still, I've been to my share of big trek shows in the UK and I've been on the real TNG bridge, so I can't complain.

What I will complain about is how Paramount have fucked the franchise in the ass. They have literally put the isolinear chips in all the wrong order.

They already fired Rick Berman for ruining it.

Let's just hope J.J. Abrams at the helm is actually going to be good.

Yeah, Voyager was the only good one.

Still, I feel a bit sad that I didn't drop in there when I was in Vegas last month. Should have supported it, even though my few dollars probably wouldn't have been enough to save it.

But then there's so much stuff worth seeing in Vegas... hell, I didn't even get to the volcano at the Mirage, even though I was on kind of a "world volcanoes tour".

pritch said:

What I will complain about is how Paramount have fucked the franchise in the ass. They have literally put the isolinear chips in all the wrong order.

Yeah, it's like they got polywater intoxication and decided to have a holiday in the engineering section.

Voyager good? have people been watching a different one to the one i saw?

OK the Species 8472 episodes sound interesting and i wouldnt mind seeing those, as well as the one where they get home (do they have to get to earth? surely just the very edge of Federation space where they could dock with a space station and get resupplied/in contact with thier families would be good enough?). All the other episodes i've seen have been full of waffle

Aside from watching the first 6 or so movies, for pure silliness fun. Star Trek is a phenomenon which I can't really understand.

I tried watching through the original series, but too cheesy and campy for my taste. I really got into The Next Generation, which made it easy for me to love the other series as well. Deep Space Nine grew on me because I kinda forced myself to look through the soap opera-ness of that series.

Voyager had some really good episodes, and some really really bad ones, but I still liked it.

Yes, I even followed and loved Enterprise. Apparently Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) was really pissed off at the writers' attempt of making her character so emotional and otherwise non-Vulcan. I've said it before, I just love any story involving time travel, and obviously they pumped so much of that in Enterprise that people started to get sick of it. That, and the many, many two or three part episodes, and an entire season based on this 'oooh find the Xindi and save Urth' storyline, that was the season that killed it imo.

Macvile\/\/hore said:

I'm counting on the next movie (which goes back to the TOS era) to revitalize the franchise.

If it doesn't, Star Trek is toasted. =/

I was reminded of the existence of the TOS Manga today during a bedroom sort-out in which i stumbled across a Tokyopop *boo hiss etc* sampler book. That was a laugh and a half.

MikeRS said:

UPN? You were probably watching the horror that is Voyager, then.

It was definitely Star Trek, i recall Captain Picard seemlessly. In addition to him being insurmountably boring.

Did he just keep talking and talking in one incredibly unbroken sentance moving from topic to topic? Was it quite hypnotic?

I could have sworn I'd seen a TNG episode where someone was phasered in the head and instead of the usual vaporization, his head exploded Scanners-style.

There was one with parasites in the first season. The parasites were mind-controlling people and trying to take over the Federation. Someone phasered one of the mind-controlled dudes and his chest exploded, revealing the parasite queen. That's the only time I remember someone exploding from a phaser.