Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Richo Rosai

John Coffee

I swear to gawd one time when I (with a friend) was loading up Doom on the SNES I saw the words "JOHN COFFEE" in the red startup text on the screen. I was holding down some buttons (I think L+R, a habit from MK2), though I don't know if that had anything to do with it, and I've never been able to reproduce it.

Well, now I decided to share this bit of obscure info even though I will probably never be able to prove it. Or maybe someone else has seen it or knows who the fuck this is.

Um uh...You sure you just aren't seeing shit?

I've never heard of such a thing. I used to play SNES Doom and I have never seen this.

Imp said:

Um uh...You sure you just aren't seeing shit?

I've never heard of such a thing. I used to play SNES Doom and I have never seen this.

100% sure. I'm a hardcore skeptic who has seen ghosts as an adult but still doesn't believe in them. The only reason I know for sure I didn't imagine this is that my buddy was sitting right there wide awake and we were both like, what the fuck is this? We tried a bunch to get it to happen again.

I seem to recall that the title screen didn't come up and we had to reset it... so maybe it's something that is shown when there's a read error or whatever error like the Chris Houlihan room in ALttP? Anyway, I'm sure of it.

A quick online search for "John Coffee" in relation to Doom comes up with nothing, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Wikipedia recognizes four people of such a name: a planter, a U.S. senator AND representative, and a law professor at Columbia University, three of whom died in the 1800s and none of whom sound to be at all related to Doom or the SNES.

How long was it on the screen? If it was only for a quick second then you both might have misread it. Simultaneous misreadings like that happen.

Mystery solved! Except why we got that at boot-up...

EDIT:

Okay, mystery full solved (from exp's kindly provided link):

After you see the title screen (says DOOM and has the marine with the shotgun), reset the game and wait to see the title screen again. Repeat this two more times. After the third reset you will see a special credits screen. After that, if you reset it four more times another credits screen. Then after, every fourth reset will show the credits screens (in the same order).

However, as ZSNES doesn't seem to be performing a "RESET" but rather just reloading the file, it may be years before I can confirm/see it for myself.

Richo Rosai said:

However, as ZSNES doesn't seem to be performing a "RESET" but rather just reloading the file, it may be years before I can confirm/see it for myself.

leileilol said:

And your point is? I didn't say there was no reset function. I stated my assumption that it was emulating a cold restart rather than the "RESET" switch on the console. In any case, it doesn't result in the secret credits screen in question for me.

Richo Rosai said:

In any case, it doesn't result in the secret credits screen in question for me.

you're obviously not trying hard enough

No, you're not thinking hard enough. I was right. The version of the program I am using in fact doesn't properly reset but simply reloads the file.

exp(x) said:

I took those screenshots with zsnes 1.51 using the reset option.

Yeah, it works differently! I use 1.36 because the latest versions seem to have neutered the GAME KEYS functionality. Specifically, I don't see fast-forward and rewind, which I NEED to make old-school RPG's more tolerable (and to be able to play more of them before I die, heh). Also it didn't accept a lot of my save states. If it ain't broken, don't update it I guess.

Anyway, if you reboot Doom in 1.36, it just reloads and goes back to the red text and Williams logo, whereas if you actually reset it on an SNES or in 1.51 it goes straight to the Doomguy splash screen. The latter process does indeed lead to the secret credits in question.