Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mithral_Demon

XWE Problem(s)

Ok, just got back an all, but on to the issue:

My XWE is having serious issues, first was I get the whole "List index out of Bound (0)" and then I tried opening one of my maps, but it gave the same thing except with a 3 instead of 0.

Now the other issue is I re-downloaded XWE and replace the files, I ope and try out to open my map again instead I get- "Access Violation at Address 00442E5A in Module 'XWE.exe'. Read of Address 00000050. "

What could be wrong?

Unfortunately XWE is buggy and even more of an issue, the author has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Its a real shame, I offered him my skills to help him with it, he said no, then asked time and time again for him to release the source.

You can try to work around the issues or just use another editor like slumped

XWE's source would be nice, especially if Csabo has discontinued it. I bet its source isn't too edit-friendly, though, so enhancing SLumpEd or the like would probably be easier than reworking parts of XWE.

As for the first error message, check this thread.

SLumpEd will replace any single lumps (including music), but it can't merge WADs directly. SLumpEd is somewhat more bare-bones than XWE.

myk said:

XWE's source would be nice, especially if Csabo has discontinued it. I bet its source isn't too edit-friendly, though, so enhancing SLumpEd or the like would probably be easier than reworking parts of XWE.

As for the first error message, check this thread.

More developer friendly than anything, it does have a lot of (working) stuff and ways of doing things that slumped doesn't.

Slumped's site is in a state of being reworked.. no source?

In the Lump menu you can create new lumps or import lumps or raw resources, delete them, or rename them.

I don't recall whether you can import multiple files by selection, but you could try and see.

Well, I won't exactly be able to get anywhere since I don't know how Slump works... All I need to know is:

1. Music
2. Monster
3. Textures

An I was used to XWE but it's acting up (probably cause comp is Vista), so if any help possible, a Tutorial/Guide or just simple advice would help..

Slumped really can't figure out... Can't seem to put textures, music or monsters in when I "import from File" or "import lump" ... Rather like to have a manual to use. I put it in, save, try on DB, but nothing shows cept what the wad had in it originally.

Do you think if the problem for XWE on my comp is because it's Vista or something?

I wouldn't be surprised if those bugs occur only on Vista.

As for SlumpEd, open WAD or create a new one (with the File menu) and try adding a New lump (with the Lump menu) and just hit OK when it asks for a name. Select the new empty lump on the list, and use Import (Lump menu again) and browse for the music or graphics you need to add. This'll be easier of the file that goes in as a lump is already uses the name of the desired lump (a music file called D_RUNNIN.MID, for example). If not, use the Rename option in the Lump menu.

Wow...
I can't exactly work SlumpED, I import/make new lump for the things I'd like added to my map, but yet when I save, and edit, I don't see the textures nor hear new music and see the "Exclamation mark of doom" (Or the missing sprite), it's either some one forces Mr. Sabo to make XWE Vista compatible or some one give me a manual for SlumpED.

I love mapping an all, but this can't really cut it for editing.

[Edit] Ok, I get the music, much like XWE, change the name to specified level. But still need to know of Textures and Monster/Sprite.
[Edit2] I see something of the Textures, but I copy/paste the folder with the textures (Texture1, GothicDM) and PNames folder, but when tested it with Doom Builder, I don't see my newly implemented textures... This might be same case as my Monster Implementing ordeal.

Ok, I think I see what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix, it says "Fail to create KEY .WAD", anything that anyone knows how to solve this?

Did you read the thread I linked to in the first post I made?

It talks about that error message and provides an option against it.

You can delete this thread, issue has been resolved, back when I had the issue, I didn't really care to look at Myk's post, but yeah.

Thanks Myk, now i'm on the DoomBuilderVista issue.