Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

YaDeX Discussion & more...

Im trying to compile Yadex under my Linux Box, but im not able to do.

I remember to do some time ago under an old linux, but now i cant manage to make it to compile correctly.

I have tested with Yadex 1.7, 1.6 and 1.5.1, but i get this error lumps (sorry for bad spelling, maybe moving text from Linux to Windows makes some words dissapear :S ):

With version 1.7 and 1.6, when i "make":

In file included from boost/boost/config.hpp:45,
                 from boost/boost/smart_ptr.hpp:57,
                 from src/wadlist.cc:34:
boost/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp:52:7: warning: #warning "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results"
src/wadlist.cc: In member function void Wad_list::del():
src/wadlist.cc:178: error: no match for operator= in ((Wad_list*)this)->Wad_list::priv->Wad_list_priv::iter = 0
/usr/include/c++/4.1.0/bits/stl_list.h:112: note: candidates are: std::_List_iterator<boost::shared_ptr<Wad_file> >& std::_List_iterator<boost::shared_ptr<Wad_file> >::operator=(const std::_List_iterator<boost::shared_ptr<Wad_file> >&)
make: *** [obj/0/wadlist.o] Error 1
In this case, the "./configure" goes fine, no error.

Whit version 1.5.1, also when i "make":
src/lumpdir.h:80: error: expected initializer before '<' token
src/lumpdir.h:89: error: Lump_map has not been declared
src/lumpdir.h:111: error: Lump_map does not name a type

src/bench.cc: In function void bench_LoadPicture():
src/bench.cc:82: error: CLK_TCKâ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [obj/0/bench.o] Error 1
I have downloaded a RPM for FC9, but when i try to install, i get a "Freedoom is needed to install Yadex" (or something simillar) I can make a "rpm -iv --nodeps", but i dunno if this will go to work.

My system is:

gcc 4.1.0
kernel 2.6.16
SuSE Linux 10 Enterprise -> Will be Vector Linux 5.9 today :lol:

Any idea on how to compile?
Anyone has the same (solved) problem?

Thanks in advance. :-)

P.S. I have downloaded PFME editor, but i dunno what that .b2 file is. Anyone knows?

Line 178 of wadlist.cc looks like this:

priv->iter = 0;     // Catch bugs
It is safe to simply remove this line and then your compile of 1.7.0 should work.

Thanks for tips.

I will try the remove "buggy" line solution.
If dont works, then will try compiling the 1.7.9 version.

But i have tested with the FC9 packages with

"rpm -iv --nodeps yadex-1.5.rpm" and it works nicely, but that rpm is a yadex version 1.5 or so, so i will try your solution to upgrade to 1.7 or 1.7.9

Thanks for help.

Ajapted said:

There are some useful patches to 1.7.0 (especially the Render3D preview function) on my Yadex Patch Page:
http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/yadex/

Nice patches, thanks for link.

But i have now a doubt: how to make a sector inside another? I mean, a double sided sector inside another, for ex. a pool, or something.

I have created first the outer sector (insert 4 vertexes, then join with ldefs. and the creating the sector), but i can figure how to make a pool inside this outer sector.

Thanks again for help

And other question: is it posible to draw linedefs without having to insert vertexes, select them, and then "create" the line itself? Something like DBuilder or Slade, just pressiong spacebar or other to start linedef drawing.

Karnizero said:

But i have now a doubt: how to make a sector inside another? I mean, a double sided sector inside another, for ex. a pool, or something.

First select all the linedefs.

Then press ENTER and select "Add Second Sidedef".

Lastly press ENTER again and "Edit Second Sidedef" and choose the bottom option where you need to enter the sector number of the surrounding sector.

(There is an easier way if you are using my patches: First select the outer sector in sectors mode. Then move the mouse pointer so it is sitting to the left of the pool, then press shift Z).

And other question: is it posible to draw linedefs without having to insert vertexes, select them, and then "create" the line itself?

There is no nice easy way.

What I often do is create a really long linedef, then use the 'x' key on it to divide it into many short pieces, switch to vertex mode and move the vertices where I want them.

Another thing is the Objects menu has a handy function for inserting a rectangle or a polygon shape.

Yes, i know how to change the sector reference from a sidedef, but the question was if there was an easy way to do that.

Could be nice someone to program a patch to make that easy.

And even a patch to "draw" lines/vectors like Doom Builder/Slade. 8)

On the other hand, i did some simple icons for Yadex shortcuts for Gnome/KDE/iceWm/...

Here goes the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/128448724/yadex-ico-1.0.tar.gz.html

If someone has a new idea or concept about an icon, would be nice to post that idea.

Salutes.

Well for what it's worth I am working on a new Linux editor based on the Yadex code, but it's gonna be many months before even a prototype is ready for people to try.

Ajapted said:

Well for what it's worth I am working on a new Linux editor based on the Yadex code, but it's gonna be many months before even a prototype is ready for people to try.

Interesting, really interesting.

Is there any project webpage where we can lookup your development notes (if any)?

Will be any new patch for Yadex? Or even Andrè Majorel will release something more for Yadex?

What new features will you add to your editor?

Any information would be nice :P

NOTE: i have changed the topic title, since this threat is not only about how to compile YaDeX under Linux. 8)

Karnizero said:

Is there any project webpage where we can lookup your development notes (if any)?

I was a bit reluctant to even mention it, it is mostly a side project for me, and I might not even finish it.

One thing is it uses a proper GUI toolkit (FLTK) with a side panel for the currently selected object (Linedef, Sector etc), where you can edit the values directly instead of the press ENTER press DIGIT system. This alone will make editing a lot easier.

The 3D render preview is a bit better integrated. There'll probably be a nice easy way to draw new linedefs. I'll be concentrating mainly on supporting DOOM (I and II), BOOM and EDGE. But for the 1.0 version I'm mostly after feature parity with Yadex and keeping the number of extra features to a minimum.

That's all I can say right now :-)

RjY said:

Very usefull that "align-polygons" patch, i will try.

Ajapted said:

I was a bit reluctant to even mention it, it is mostly a side project for me, and I might not even finish it.

One thing is it uses a proper GUI toolkit (FLTK) with a side panel for the currently selected object (Linedef, Sector etc), where you can edit the values directly instead of the press ENTER press DIGIT system. This alone will make editing a lot easier.

The 3D render preview is a bit better integrated. There'll probably be a nice easy way to draw new linedefs. I'll be concentrating mainly on supporting DOOM (I and II), BOOM and EDGE. But for the 1.0 version I'm mostly after feature parity with Yadex and keeping the number of extra features to a minimum.

That's all I can say right now :-)

No initially support for zDoom, Legacy and/or Eternity?

Whatever you make, we will wait for that. :D
Good luck.

Thanks for the help getting Yadex compiled.

For Kubuntu 8.04 I had to manually create /etc/yadex/1.7.0/ before install, and fix the symlinks in /usr/local/man/man6/ after install.

andrewj said:

Any progress on this?

andrewj said:

That would be cool. Just make sure it's POSIX compliant and not loaded with Linuxisms, eh? :)

Why not try SLADE? I got it compiling just fine when I used to use Linux, it's just that there is no Makefile. All it uses is WxWidgets and it's very nice, almost as good as DB2.

Super Jamie said:

Yadex is pretty painful. Did you know Doom Builder 1 runs in Wine?

Yes, and that is what I've been using. DB1 has some annoying eccentricities under Wine. I just thought it would be nice to have a Linux native program.

arrrgh
Why not try SLADE?

Because SLADE was not in this list. Of the two editors listed, Yadex looked the most complete. I may try SLADE later.

I did play with Yadex a bit this afternoon. It has a nice 3D mode, and looks very capable.

Edit: Stated more concisely, only the Windows version of SLADE is in the list. The Linux version, if there is one, I will have to look up.

Super Jamie said:

Yadex is pretty painful. Did you know Doom Builder 1 runs in Wine?

I'm trying this now; unfortunately, it's not so simple to get running. It appears to have been coded in VB6...which typically means dependency hell. :( It crashes with an "invalid picture" error.

Eponasoft said:

I'm trying this now; unfortunately, it's not so simple to get running. It appears to have been coded in VB6...which typically means dependency hell. :(

Do you mean DB1 under Wine or Yadex?

sparerib1968 said:

Do you mean DB1 under Wine or Yadex?

DB1 under Wine. I've used yadex for quite awhile now, as there is a native port to BSD.

Eponasoft said:

DB1 under Wine. I've used yadex for quite awhile now, as there is a native port to BSD.

I followed the advice in this thread and it worked for me. IIRC I had to copy some DLL from my Windows partition to get it working. You should have success assuming Wine works as well on BSD as it does on Linux.

The program loads, but then it bails out with a typical VB6 error indicating an invalid picture. The console output is as such:

fixme:ole:OLEPictureImpl_get_hPal unimplemented for type 3. Returning 0 palette.
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf753fc,774,1,{7bf80980-bf32-101a-8bbb-00aa00300cab},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33fa50), partially implemented.
fixme:ole:OLEPictureImpl_get_hPal unimplemented for type 3. Returning 0 palette.
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf753fc,275,1,{7bf80980-bf32-101a-8bbb-00aa00300cab},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33fa50), partially implemented.
err:ole:_gif_inputfunc Trying to read 1 bytes, but only 0 available.
err:ole:OLEPictureImpl_LoadGif Failed reading GIF using libgif.
err:ole:OleLoadPictureEx IPersistStream_Load failed
and the standard VB6 runtime error popup:

There do not appear to be any GIF images in the directory, so either it's trying to load one from somewhere else (and failing to find it) or from one embedded in the resource section of the EXE.

sparerib1968 said:

Edit: Stated more concisely, only the Windows version of SLADE is in the list. The Linux version, if there is one, I will have to look up.

There is no Linux version of SLADE(as in a binary), you will have to compile it yourself. I got it to compile by adding all the sourcefiles into a Codeblocks project.

Eponasoft said:

The program loads, but then it bails out with a typical VB6 error indicating an invalid picture.

I trust you've followed the instructions in the thread linked above to add the library override for oleaut32.

If you previously ran DoomBuilder before performing this, it makes some messed up registry changes and will never start. You can fix this by nuking your ~/.wine folder.

I've had SLADE running under Linux, though I don't remember how, knowing me it was probably the Windows binary in Wine :P Native 3D mode would be good. More investigation definitely required there.

First problem with Yadex I encountered is that the (c)reate function seems to be only partially implemented. You can create a blank map, but not by using the syntax suggested in the (h)elp.

Second problem, and this is a huge one, is that there is no undo. If you make a mistake, you have to delete it and then re-draw everything after the mistake.

Third problem, how the hell do I actually insert a sector?

This program has some neat features, but I don't know whether I will be able to adapt to it.

sparerib1968 said: (Re: my Yadex fork)
Any progress on this?

Sadly no.

But I feel like making a map for pcorf's community project, hence I'm getting the itch to work on it again...

sparerib1968 said:

First problem with Yadex I encountered is that the (c)reate function seems to be only partially implemented. You can create a blank map, but not by using the syntax suggested in the (h)elp.

Second problem, and this is a huge one, is that there is no undo. If you make a mistake, you have to delete it and then re-draw everything after the mistake.

Third problem, how the hell do I actually insert a sector?

This program has some neat features, but I don't know whether I will be able to adapt to it.

It took me awhile to get used to yadex, as it's pretty weird.

To make a new map, what I do is start yadex with the filename of whatever map I want to make. Then, do c to create the map, and hit F2 to save it right away with the proper map name and file name. Obviously it'll whine at first about missing player starts, but ignore that at first. Once you get the map saved properly, you can edit par usual.

No undo can get irritating pretty fast but the one thing I discovered is that most of the issues will come from clicking on the window to get rid of menus. Sometimes things will get thrown out of whack, depending on your current edit mode. Pressing Esc to close a menu instead works fine. That's the only really big problem I've had so far.

To insert a sector, go to Sector mode (press s) and hit the Insert key. Also, if you click on an existing sector and hit Insert, it will create a new sector with the same settings as the currently selected sector, which is quite nice for making stairs.

Hello! I just installed Yadex but I don't have a glue how to use it. If you guys could give me some basic instructions how to insert objects etc. I'd be very grateful!

I have used various editors for a few FPS games (even for Doom) and have a basic understanding how they work. I just didn't find any instructions from the web for Yadex.

Some things I'd really like to know to get started:

- How to insert object like a player start or monster?
- How to create a basic map (a cube/rectangle with four walls)?

Any help/link is appreciated!