Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Playtest playtest playtest

dutch devil said:

I just watched your demo great stuff, its still too easy hehe.Are there people interested in an sequel to Congestion 1024, and are willing to contribute.

God yes please...I would LOVE to see a sequel to Congestion. In fact, I was thinking the exact same thing while playing your map :p. I would seriously consider contributing.

Regarding the 1024 idea:

How about arranging for different episodes this time? Maybe even some completely new episodes that include texture packs for the mappers and a list of allowed monsters, and maybe an atmospheric description and example screenshots?

I'd participate.

ArchitectofHell said:

Regarding the 1024 idea:

How about arranging for different episodes this time? Maybe even some completely new episodes that include texture packs for the mappers and a list of allowed monsters, and maybe an atmospheric description and example screenshots?

I'd participate.

First off, don't get overambitious. IMO, If we start adding all kinds of things, the project will likely be stopped in it's tracks because of the dramatically increased workload this would require. What made the original so successful was that it was a pretty basic concept that anyone could do fairly easily. Strength in simplicity. A sequel should be just the same.
Secondly, this probably ought to be Boom-compatible as well. I can see things getting messy otherwise...

Boom format would keep things easier to help mappers to manage a fun 1024 map without too many problems (with all the cool boom actions).

The first was Boom compatible.

dutch devil said:

Keeping it simple would be my idea stock doom2 textures and doom2 format.

I agree that keeping it as simple as possible (as in no need to add a bunch of new monsters, keeping it Boom compatible, etc) is the best course of action. However I wouldn't be opposed to some new textures...something along the lines of Doom/Doom2 edits and such to make things a little more flexible and interesting while working on a map. I believe the original Congestion used new textures :)

Death-Destiny said:

First off, don't get overambitious. IMO, If we start adding all kinds of things, the project will likely be stopped in it's tracks because of the dramatically increased workload this would require.

You have a point, DD!

That idea arose out of the thought that I'd love to see a new Congestion, but would also enjoy seeing something in the new version to make it distinct from the first, rather than just a mess of additional levels.

But god, what a WAD. I loved Congestion 1024.

I bet Dutch just thought of this off the top of his head and now a bunch of people are interested. ;-)

Anyways, if we want more textures, why not just use the same additive textures as the origional? That texture set was pretty distinctive, IMO. It would be a good way to make it feel like a sequal as well as being a good homage.

Hey Dutch, you ought to start a new thread about this, since this one is still technically about the Acheron Temple itself and not neccesarily the concept behind it.

Death-Destiny said:

Anyways, if we want more textures, why not just use the same additive textures as the origional? That texture set was pretty distinctive, IMO. It would be a good way to make it feel like a sequal as well as being a good homage.

Ah! Great idea!

Death-Destiny said:

Hey Dutch, you ought to start a new thread about this, since this one is still technically about the Acheron Temple itself and not neccesarily the concept behind it.

Well I don't know yet, I don't think I make an good team leader.And I think that there isn't enough interest from the community to fill 32 slots.

dutch devil said:

Keeping it simple would be my idea stock doom2 textures and doom2 format.

I concur, also I would like to contribute. would a non boom level be accepted?

Nevermind it seems hardly anyone likes to map with stock recources these days, it would be cool to see what mappers can do without any custom textures and port tricks.

dutch devil said:

Nevermind it seems hardly anyone likes to map with stock recources these days, it would be cool to see what mappers can do without any custom textures and port tricks.

It would be cool, too many port specific maps these days IMO, also if you change your mind i'll contribute.

Not necessarily, Dutch. If I'm not working in a community project with some texture pack, I prefer to use only stock resources. Actually, I think that community projects make texture packs specifically to get more interest ("OMG! KEWL NU TEKZTURZ! I WANNA MAP!") I could probably organize this since you know how I like organizing random stuff. However, I agree there isn't enough interest at the moment. The original team had 15 mappers. ATM, we only have 6 people who have specifically said they could contribute, which ,means we currently have 40% of the manpower we'd need to do this efficiently. There's probably no point unless at least 10 or 11 people are interested, as once the project starts, probably another 3-4 will want to join...

I'd probably do 1; might be the most disliked by the majority and too hard and perhaps too copy/pasty but all well.

Excellent, that's 7 then. We might actually get enough. (I hope so.)

I wouldn't worry too much about your style gggmork. If it makes any difference, your "Huge Projectile Wall" was one of my all-time favorite maps. It's all subjective. Just map however suits your fancy. If you're worried about the difficulty, your map can just be in slot 29. Then you can seriously crank down the difficulty on skills 1-3. That way, if the player is pistol-starting and it's too tough on UV, they can restart on skill 3. If they're playing all the levels continuously, they have 28 levels worth of health, armor, and BFG ammo to get them through your map.

Coolness, so I'll use doombuilder in 'boom' format I guess. To clarify the precise rule for this, is it 'the player's movement is restricted to a 1024 x 1024 area, however there can be unlimited space/sectors/monsters OUTSIDE this area as long as the player can't physically move there (even though monsters could potentially attack you from outside this area)'?

You can make the map however you wish with the following restriction:
The area the player is allowed to enter and move in is limited to a 1024x1024 box.

So yeah, the map can be as huge and have as many sectors as you want and you could put enemies outside this area if you want as well.

I know we're completely off-topic now but...Death-Destiny, if you require assistance in leading the project, I'd be happy to help out :D. I can also possibly do some graphic replacement work too.

Anyways, even if we don't necessarily have the same number of committed mapper's yet, it's kind of hard to really tell since we're talking about this in the wrong thread. Would it hurt to go ahead and make the thread and kind of, you know, try and get a better feel to how many people we can get interested? I think it would be better to have a dedicated thread to it instead of trying to base anything in a thread that's not even made for the discussion :p

Ah, thanks for volunteering, Mechadon. I could use a co-leader. I'd have asked for one if you hadn't stepped up. =)

Good point as well, Mechadon. I'd best start a dedicated thread for this. Considering that one person can compose several 1024x1024 maps, we probably have enough to at least make some good progress. In all likelihood, more people will decide to join once there's significant progress to show.

Just as well, I'll go ahead and make the thread, which can be found here.