Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jute

WIP Multiplayer Map

This is my second-ever attempt at mapping for Doom. It's a smallish multiplayer level. I've only tested it in ZDoom and Skulltag but it should be fine in other ports. I'd like some criticism, advice, etc. on things like structure, item placement, texture, detail, etc. Basically anything at all; I'm kind of figuring this out as I go.

Here's the map: http://www.jeshimoth.com/jutegyte/jutegyte004.wad

Here are some shots from a botmatch in Skulltag:

It's not the prettiest thing (basically just because those brick textures are pretty bad) but the structures look really cool. :D

I agree with Tango. The layout looks good: interesting shapes, height variation, etc. It could just use some better textures.

Thanks for the response! Are the problematic textures just the two brick textures (beige and red) or other textures/flats as well?

To be honest, I think the beige bricks look pretty nice and make the map look distinctive. However, if I were interjecting my own aesthetic opinion, I would say the the red bricks would look better if they were also beige. Just a thought.

In my opinion, the map is a bit heavy on precarious walkways. However, I do like the height variation, so keep on it.

jute gyte said:

Thanks for the response! Are the problematic textures just the two brick textures (beige and red) or other textures/flats as well?

It's mainly the textures, but if you change those then the flats will likely have to change a little as well. If you want to keep the tan floors but you change the textures to something other than tan (although tan would still be fine), then you could just add some borders in the floor in a few places and still be able to leave the floors tan (as in, you'd have a border along the outside of the floor that matches the textures on the sides of the platform but then the inside of the floor is tan).

Just break up the bricks with some other texture, but don't change them entirely, they look good.