Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Freedoom just doesn't feel like Doom:(

Ok, i just played freedoom for the first time, and i must say that for a project that is suppose to recreate Doom with new weapons and sprites AND be free for anybody that wants it...... its great !

BUT........one if the things that bugged me while playing is that the game (Freedoom) felt nothing like Doom at all. The enemy's and the weapons look pretty good, but they don't really feel or look like anything that i would expect to in a Doom game, but more like something i would expect to see in Duke Nukem or something.

I think this is a big problem since the purpose of Freedoom is to give players that don't own Doom a "feel" of how the game is like since Freedoom feels nothing like Doom to me, but instead like some game that just uses the same core gameplay (look for keys, unlock locked doors and so forth.

What do you think? Does freedoom feel like Doom when you play it?

FreeDoom doesn't have to feel exactly like Doom because...it's not technically Doom. Also, it's awesome. And you get what you pay for ;)

I guess so, some of the weapons look in fact better then those found in Doom, like the pistol and the double barreled shotgun. I don't like the new chaingun though. Also the zombies look like crap.

I don't think Freedoom's "purpose" is to feel like Doom, but then again, I'm not sure what its precise intended goal is. Maybe someone in charge knows.

Creaphis said:

I don't think Freedoom's "purpose" is to feel like Doom, but then again, I'm not sure what its precise intended goal is. Maybe someone in charge knows.

The Site says:

Freedoom.com said:

Id Software have released the source code to their classic game, Doom, under the GNU GPL. This means that the engine which powers Doom is Free Software. However, the game engine is only one component of a complete game.

The Doom engine uses an "IWAD" file to store all of its game data. This contains the raw data used by the game - the artwork, sound effects, levels, everything which defines Doom as a game. Until now, one of the original proprietary files was still needed in order to play Doom.

The Freedoom project aims at collaboratively creating a Free IWAD file. Combined with the Free source code, this results in a complete game based on the Doom engine which is Free Software.

Also i recommend watching this Youtube video about Freedoom where the creator is talking about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXvnD1Ib8Sc

I usually just use Freedoom as a drop in replacement for the Doom II IWAD, for WADs that require Doom II, which it does quite well. I don't really like a few of the enemy sprites, but the focus should be on covering all the resources first, so it works as an IWAD. I might make some better zombie and shotgun guy sprites myself, but I know work shouldn't be duplicated. If I did make sprites, I'd give them to the Freedoom project for all licensing purposes, and submit them in a WAD to run with Freedoom. That way I wouldn't be submitting changes to the IWAD, and people could use them much earlier. Of course, that's all assuming I don't have a sudden (but not unexpected) bout of laziness.

I like the weapons but not several of the monsters. The imps and demons are simply ugly. But I still believe in Freedoom for what it is.

hardcore_gamer said:
The Site says:

Which is nothing about "feeling like DOOM".

Also i recommend watching this Youtube video about Freedoom where the creator is talking about it:

That's not the creator of Freedoom, which is not a program, nor released as "public domain".

Optimus said:
The imps and demons are simply ugly.

The old demons were dumb, but the worm-like ones in the latest versions are pretty cool.

Freedoom's monsters look more like aliens than like demons, which is why it doesn't feel so much like Doom. But it's not a problem. It's not supposed to be a faithful replica...

As you said, "the same core gameplay" and that's what matters the most. Think of it as a TC, and a genuine one (most things calling themselves total conversions are actually partial conversions, since they keep some assets from the original game).

I actually quite like the fact that FreeDoom feels different to Doom. I already have Doom so having FreeDoom as well is like having another game: very similar, but different to Doom. I also like the fact that it is becoming increasingly a consistent style in its own right.

I'd love FreeDoom to be "complete" in as much as I'd like all the resources to be covered with at least some kind of FreeDoom version. Unfortunately, I'm not talented enough in the areas where most of the work has to be done - mainly the sprites.

The only thing I don't like about FreeDoom is the "screamer" on MAP16. Wtf is up with that? o_O

And I concur with Enjay - FreeDoom will be awesome when it's done. :D