Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oridez

Some things I have questions about:

I'm not entirely sure about how to do some things. These include:

A. Making certain THINGS only appear in certain difficulties.
B. Making 'winning' scenarios. Particularily:
I'd like to know how to make switches that end levels. I'd like to know how to make possibly other things that end levels, like killing certain monsters or a certain number of monsters, or making it so that if the number of monsters in a group of monsters with a certain flag or something to that effect outweigh the number of monsters in another group of monsters, the game ends. Or, just if there are no opposing monsters at all--note, OPPOSING--, then the game is won.

Most if not all information gleamed here will go to my new project .wad.

A. When you right click on a thing it opens a window and in the top right corner is a place where you can check mark different "flags". If you want the thing to appear on Easy you would make sure the Easy flag is checked.

B. This would require a bit of scripting. To make you win when you beat a monster you would set the monster with a Thing Effect of H_ScriptExecute (80). This can be found in the second tab of the things window which is opened after right clicking on the thing. This tab is called effects. After that there will be a list of arguments to the right and you have to tell it what script to use. If it is script 1 make sure it says script: 1. Then you need to edit the behavior lump under the "Scripts" button from the menus at the top. Here you would type something like the following:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
Exit_Normal(0);
}

To make it so a group of monsters needs to be killed before you win, you would use the Thing_Count() command of scripting. I am not sure how to explain this too well since I am not 100% sure how it works but here is a link to a tutorial about it:
http://www.zdoom.org/zdkb/zdoom15.html
It would be something like if no more of this particular Thing type are left, then do this script, otherwise do nothing. It would be the same for the other side.

Some good sites to check out how to do scripting are:
http://www.zdoom.org/zdkb/zdoomindex.html
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: I should mention that the scripting can only be done in the ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) type of map. If the map is in normal Doom or Boom or another limit removing type map, you can't use scripting.

Thanks, I'll be sure to bookmark those links.

Any additional advice on anything anyone can think of would be nice.

Lord_Z said:

[b]B.
#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
Exit_Normal(0);
}

Thanks. Would that work to make a monster drop a key once killed as well?

I downloaded the new DB which apparently is a newer version than what I had before and it seems to ignore the grid size and move vertexes by 1 unit instead of by the size of the grid, like 16 or 32. I'm sure I've pressed a wrong button somewhere as I was getting familiar with DB again. So how do I make vertexes stick to the grid? Snap-to-grid function is on...

The grid could be at its smallest setting...try resizing it (default key is the brackets [ and ])

When the grid is too small to see DB just draws the 128x128 lines

EDIT: Actually I think I've had a problem with snap-to-gird not working before...you might just need to restart or toggle snapping again or something...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it was just a bug, apparently. It worked fine last night. Have a good weekend.

gemini09 said...
Would that work to make a monster drop a key once killed as well?

I believe that this would be accomplished by making an new monster that creates a thing when it is killed. It would not be very hard to do since you would just have the new one take all the stats of the old one. You would only have to add a line to tell it to drop a key once it was killed. Including a DECORATE lump in your wad with the following text should do it:

ACTOR Impdropskey : doomimp 10000
{
DropItem keytodrop
}

This creates a brand new monster that takes all the stats of a normal Imp but makes it drop a key when it dies. To use it in Doom Builder just give it the thing number 10000 (or whatever number you use).