Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

Doom64 EX is a free clone of the Nintendo64 game, Doom64 (developed by Midway).

The goal is to perfectly re-create Doom64 in every way possible and to support Win32 and *Unix platforms.
The Doom64 EX engine is based on the Doom3D source port.

I am quite happy to announce the first public release of Doom64 EX. I wanted to make sure everything is in a stable state before I make a public release, however this release is not official.

I am seeking feedback for what everyone likes, what they don't like, and what they like to see improved or enhanced. Though do not expect massive/overhaul changes or updates. Keep the feature suggestions realistic. I am also seeking those to point out any serious bugs as well.

Please take the time to review the readme on how to setup D64Ex and for its known issues.

---------------------------------------------
System Requirements
---------------------------------------------

- Windows 9x/2000/XP/Vista
- DirectX 6.0 or higher
- 64mb ram (128mb recommended)
- 1.2ghz Processor or higher (800mhz without music)
- 128mb Graphics Card or higher
- Doom64 N64 ROM (U) or (E) versions only.

For screenshots: http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/sshot.html
Showcase video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eVfW7ES1pv4

Download link:
http://kaiser.startan3.com/Public/Doom64.zip
edit: link down, here's the mirror
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPVZE97A
Mirror 2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmirympordn/Doom64.zip
Mirror 3: http://jets.emu-france.com/doom64ex/Doom64.zip

Edit: Now at version 1.1a which fixes two major flaws (Hectic crash, and a typo in the Mancubus attack pointer where it fails to invalidate a target).

Edit again: Now at version 1.1b. Please review CHANGES.TXT for all the updates and fixes since 1.1a. This version I would concider stable, but please keep on reporting bugs and other issues that may arise.

Edit again: Download link is updated with version 1.1c. Make sure you review changes.txt for whats been done and as always, keep reporting any issues or bugs that may arise.

Enjoy

I tried it out. It worked great. I do have to ask one thing though. Is there any way to make weapons switch using the scroll wheel on a mouse?

InsanityBringer said:

I tried it out. It worked great. I do have to ask one thing though. Is there any way to make weapons switch using the scroll wheel on a mouse?

Nope. Added to my todo list though since you mentioned it :D

Is this revision 128, and does it compile on 64-bit linux? If it does, I may have to check it out (not intended as a subversion pun) tomorrow.

exp(x) said:

Is this revision 128, and does it compile on 64-bit linux? If it does, I may have to check it out (not intended as a subversion pun) tomorrow.

Its at 129 now :P I got some basic form of mousewheel support in.

D64Ex is compiled with direct x and contains general Win32 api code unfortuently.

So I'd doubt that it'll compile on linux. I haven't actually had the oppurtunity to fool around with this in linux yet since I haven't ported the engine to opengl.

Alright, I think I've spent a good bit of play time to go ahead and report what I've found. I read through all of the documents to try and make sure I wouldn't report anything that isn't already known...but please forgive me if I did anyways.

- Everything was doing great until I finished Map02 and warped to Map03. As soon as the map loaded, everything started lagging quite a bit. I was able to save the game, exit out, and then start it back up and load the game...and the map played just fine after that. The same thing happened when I transitioned from Map19->Map20. I bet that since it happens in those two scenarios for me, it's bound to happen in other ways as well. I'll keep messing around with this to see if I can find a pattern or something.

- In Map32 (Hectic I believe, I can't remember if that's the right map number or not), once you get all three keys and head to the exit...trying to get past the yellow key pillars causes the game to crash. You can get past the red and blue pillars just fine, but once you try to press use on the yellows ones, the sound will play but the game freezes for a second and then it crashes.

- I can't seem to get any of the console commands to work. I tried god and unbindall but they didn't seem to do anything (perhaps I'm just an idiot and I'm missing something here). exitlevel worked fine though (/me shrugs)...I'll have to try the rest of them.

- I noticed that some of the game messages are cut off. Actually the only one I noticed off-hand was when you picked up the artifact in Map31. So I assume anything with that length of message will also be cut off like that.

- Although it was a little weird trying to setup custom controls (I'm too used to ZDoom I guess :p), I noticed that the weapon binds didn't have a value set, at least not according to the game. I can still switch weapons just fine, but the Unmaker isn't defaulted a bind. So I set it to '0' and kept playing. When I restarted, it didn't save the bind so I had to go in and manually set it again. According to the actions.config, it's supposed to be binded to slot 8?

- Something else that might be nice to have is the ability to remove a bind from an action while configuring it through the options menu...like you can in ZDoom by pressing the backspace key. Also, it's really hard to see anything in the menu that is using the smallfont if your navigating it while on the main menu because the credits and such kinda obscure everything. I guess this is more of a personal request or something, not all that important :p

- I don't remember the Chaingun being that bad-ass. Erm, sorry...that's more of a comment I guess :/

I was very surprised at how awesome everything looked. The TC is one thing with the fancy dynamic lighting and such, but the way the colored walls and glowing, etc looked...I was in heaven :D. I'm going to keep testing this to see if I can find anything else worth mentioning. I'm also really looking forward to making some maps for this once you finish up that DoomBuilder thingy your working on for this (you are still working on it, right?)

*edit*

Oh I almost forgot to ask...is there a console command or a cheat which can give the player all of the Unmaker artifacts? I remember there was one for the TC, but I can't remember it for the life of me.

*edit2*

Ok, I've got a little more info pertaining to the massive lag when you switch to certain levels. I went from Map19->Map20 and the same thing happened...so I used the 'exitlevel' command to go to the next map and the lag still persisted in the following maps. I did this all the way to Map25 and it wouldn't go away. However using the launcher, I warped directly to Map20 and it played as smooth as silk. So maybe after X number of maps it happens?

*edit3*

Argh...so I almost finished playing all the way through Map20 when the heavy lag starting hitting me again (this is a game I started through the launcher where I warped directly to Map20). So it's looking more like this lag starts to happen after playing for so long. Or it could be totally random, I still can't make a very definitive conclusion to it.

Will you add multiplayer in the future? I mean cooperative of course but it'd be interesting to see dwango5.wad played on this (lol)

Gamma correction isn't quite gamma correction though

Guest DILDOMASTER666

This is the most godlike thing I have ever experienced. And finally, splitscreen without gay Legacy.

Kaiser said in readme.txt:
- Version of Direct X being used is outdated and insufficient. This may/may not
cause problems on newer machines if Windows Vista no longer supports it.

I can confirm that it runs happily enough on Vista.

Bug Report Time!
- I get a W_ReadLump error when trying to load the Deathtrigger, Itemtrigger or Maskedflats test wads.
- The game tended to freeze when loading USF 22 (I think), but I can't reproduce this so I guess it was a random quirk.
- If I alt-tab out of the game (to check the console commands txt for example) and come back, mouse control seems to go weird (instead of mouselook, moving the mouse up/down does nothing, and left/right strafes? This seems to fix itself when the map changes.

I'm having troubles building the wad. I can play the rom in an emulator fine (well not that great due to system specs but it runs anyway). I'm thinking it might just be something weird with the rom. I'm going to try to find another copy and see if that helps.

Edit: Different rom works. For some reason my .v64 file didn't work but a z64 file did.

Edit: it's very slow after you start playing a while. I notice the system requirements say a 128 meg graphics card. Is there any way to lower this? That seems very silly, considering other Doom engines run on much much less, even when rendered via OpenGL.

Edit3: Well turning off the music solved that previous problem. I played to Hectic. The level transition was very very slow. I managed to break the level by avoiding the soulsphere trap, which is good because the original game behaved like that. However, I couldn't lower the yellow poles, and when I tried the game crashed.

ler said:

Edit: Different rom works. For some reason my .v64 file didn't work but a z64 file did.

I had the same problem.

This is truly impressive BTW. I always thought the Absolution TC was superb, but this shows just how far short it fell of really looking like the original. This is very very good.

A few minor points for consideration.

I tried binding my right shift key to run. The options menu still said "shift" and only the left shift worked (A pain for us left handed mouse users). Also, is there/will there be an "always run" option or toggle [edit]I found it in the config[/edit]?

I couldn't get it to recognise mousewheelup/down which I like to bind to next/previous weapon.

The controls options menu just has blanks beside the numbers for the weapons, although the weapons can be changed using the usual keys.

That's all I have ATM.

[edit] Free Hissy ? [/edit]

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I WILL SERIOUSLY CREAM MY PANTS WHEN THIS IS EDITABLE.

Also, I'm not experiencing any lag of any kind after playing for several hours now.

If it were possible to change the automap key and use key in the game, it would be great. I could change the use key in actions.cfg but didn't guess the command name for the automap -- is it hardcoded?

Enjay said:

[edit] Free Hissy ? [/edit]

Enables the features menu and Hardcore difficulty :)

TheDarkArchon said:

Trying to replicate the Hectic glitch crashes the game as soon as the crusher finishes.

EDIT: It's not that, it's attempting to use the exits when the glitch is still working.

Rest assure the glitch works.

I keep getting that crash a lot until a few weeks ago where it just suddenly stopped, which I thought it fixed itself.

I'll need to debug this.

Enjay said:

I tried binding my right shift key to run. The options menu still said "shift" and only the left shift worked (A pain for us left handed mouse users). Also, is there/will there be an "always run" option or toggle [edit]I found it in the config[/edit]?

I couldn't get it to recognise mousewheelup/down which I like to bind to next/previous weapon.

The controls options menu just has blanks beside the numbers for the weapons, although the weapons can be changed using the usual keys.

These are leftover Doom3D issues, which I completly forgot about until now :)

I am also working on mousewheel support as of now. I got a basic implementation in, all there is left is to bind them to the weapons.

Gez said:

If it were possible to change the automap key and use key in the game, it would be great. I could change the use key in actions.cfg but didn't guess the command name for the automap -- is it hardcoded?

Added to my todo list..

Mechadon said:

Lag

Try disabling the music and see if the problem persists.

Kaiser said:

So I'd doubt that it'll compile on linux. I haven't actually had the oppurtunity to fool around with this in linux yet since I haven't ported the engine to opengl.

Ah, oh well. I'll keep an eye on #doom-tech for any linux-related revisions.

This gets a Cacoward! Great Job!

EDIT: when you die in Doom64, if you dont hit use, or try to respawn right away, messages appear on the screen like "get up already" or "ooh! look at those demon feet" ... is that included in this?

But technically, this is software, not a level set or mod. There is no Cacoward for software.

Of course, not to say there couldn't be one for "best program" (excluding source port's) or something added.

Kaiser said:

Rest assure the glitch works.

I keep getting that crash a lot until a few weeks ago where it just suddenly stopped, which I thought it fixed itself.

I'll need to debug this.

Yeah, I was able to pull it off. However, I think it may just be the yellow barrier crash that ler and Mechadon pointed out.

Patrick Pineda said:

This gets a Cacoward! Great Job!

EDIT: when you die in Doom64, if you dont hit use, or try to respawn right away, messages appear on the screen like "get up already" or "ooh! look at those demon feet" ... is that included in this?

Instead of asking, why not just try it and see for yourself :P

TheDarkArchon said:

Yeah, I was able to pull it off. However, I think it may just be the yellow barrier crash that ler and Mechadon pointed out.

I attempted to reproduce this myself, and lo behold, it crashed. Heh. Keep an eye out for the next update.

The next version will be on sourceforge instead on my startan account.

Kaiser said:

The next version will be on sourceforge instead on my startan account.

Sourceforge has policies about non-Free stuff though, the content/ folder will be deemed questionable