Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

A few weeks ago I found my old MSVC6 compiler and changed from the old MinGW to it and it compiled D64Ex great!!!! So here's my latest offering to the Doom community the new Doom 64 Ex SVN builds:

http://doom64exsvn.codeplex.com/

Please enjoy because it seems that Kaiser has been very busy! Also there is only a .7z archive, no installer. It's easier on me if I just compress them rather then doing all the coding for NSIS. But as most of you knw 7-Zip is free so get it and enjoy!

Stroggos said:

But as most of you knw 7-Zip is free so get it and enjoy!

Does codeplex.com limit you with disk space much? Because for plain ZIP you do not need even free 7-zip. Also you do not need to write these instructions how to extract and where to download.

Yeah, 7-zip is the only GUI archiver I use, but you should not force me to download, install and use it if you do not have serious reasons IMO.

I used 7-Zip because it is one of the most widely used file archiver. Also uploaded .zip release to appeal to the broader community.

Stroggos said:

A few weeks ago I found my old MSVC6 compiler and changed from the old MinGW to it and it compiled D64Ex great!!!! So here's my latest offering to the Doom community the new Doom 64 Ex SVN builds:

http://doom64exsvn.codeplex.com/

Please enjoy because it seems that Kaiser has been very busy! Also there is only a .7z archive, no installer. It's easier on me if I just compress them rather then doing all the coding for NSIS. But as most of you knw 7-Zip is free so get it and enjoy!

Just curious, what's the difference between this and the version of d64ex I already have? I'm not sure what SVN build means.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Just curious, what's the difference between this and the version of d64ex I already have?

It's newer.

Brewtal_Legend said:

I'm not sure what SVN build means.

SVN is a versioning system used by a lot of software developers to maintain a program's codebase. It allows to centralize the changes made by several different coders, and it keeps a history of every change so it's easier to track down when a bug appeared, etc. So the SVN repository is where the most current available version of the code is kept. And SVN builds are therefore the most current available versions of the compiled program.

For another example, this site contains SVN builds of several Doom ports and editors (Doom Builder, Eternity, GZDoom, SLADE, Vavoom, ZDoom).

You should not need to re-extract the wad unless you were using a very old version of Doom64Ex.

You will need to run WadGen again as I've done changes to how textures are looked up in the game and that requires the iwad to be updated.

Its to bad the music has been such a problem.. i've never had problems myself though, and ive tried it on 3 of my computers, 2 regular, future shop, pre built ones, and my PC/JAMMA Arcade machine that i build from various cheaper parts.. Im not to great with mod trackers myself, i did attemp it for the SNES MOD, before SPC support was added to zdoom, then i didnt bother anymore. It never sounded quite right though, the SNES reverb wasnt there, and i couldnt extract all the intruments, some sounds had to be recorded through an emulator to! Where are these Doom 64 samples though? Id be interested in seeing if id beable to, at the least! I found it tricky to get the samples to sustain the same way with the PSX intruments though, so i dunno if im any use...

I always wanted these, to bad the main theme song wasnt more split into intruments, instead of just into parts.. i guess it was meant to save space?...

Kaiser said:

That would be nice if I knew the format. The music samples and sounds are in some modified AIFC format and the music banks are in some unknown n64 midi format. We can forget about that because I don't think a single person on this planet will know anything about that.

About samples, It's sad if the AIFC format couldn't be decyphered because some samples are cut in high frequencies and don't match originals. Especially those of the endgame tune like instr025. If only you could rerip thoses one.

Besides, I noticed that PSX SPU has almost 24 channel and a psxemulator spu plugin can log note events to midi file and I don't know how N64 SPU works exactly but I was thinking about modifying a plugin like lazyusf so as to It would log (note on/off,volume envelop ,panning,reverb chorus sfx)into a midi or directly a mod/it. MOD is rather limited format and maybe not enough for some of the tunes. I dunno if it's even possible to do this. If you have a detailed explanation of how N64 SPU work.

Kaiser said:

I already got the samples and yes I've already asked for someone with modtrack experience to make the music a long time ago, but as you can see I am still waiting on someone to volunteer.

Everett1911 said:

Personally, I'd volunteer, but I don't have enough confidence in my skills yet.

I've been using madtracker since 2006, and I'm making songs, but I don't feel they're good enough.

I am not confident with my skill too. :-?

I already recreated some tunes and here is the percentage of completion:
Sparse60(stagingarea): 50 % (this one is not that hard but rather long)
Sparse71(endgame): 99 %
Sparse72(intermission): 99 %
Sparse73(intro): 99%
Sparse74(mainmenu): 99%

planed:
Sparse5d(darkcitadel): 0 %
Sparse67(watchyourstep) : 0 %

But I can't do It all by myself because It's really tiedous and time consuming (if you want to be accurate) as I am am busy in real life. So we will have to share the task. I would be motivated to do 'darkcitadel' and 'watchyourstep' but not really more knowing there may be a faster way to do it.You can take any piece of music besides those mentioned above.If you already did and yours are better than mine ok.

Kaiser, I will send you a pm.

ShaneAmp said:

I always wanted these, to bad the main theme song wasnt more split into intruments, instead of just into parts.. i guess it was meant to save space?...

Indeed, probably to save space on the cartridge and save cpu.

Getting away from music one moment, can I ask how Doom64 Ex handles transparency? Since it uses PNGs, but does not use the tRNS chunk. I'd like SLADE3 to display them correctly (without a black background) but that's not easy. (And it shouldn't compromise display of normal PNGs. Maybe it'd be better if WadGen gave them a valid tRNS chunk.)

DoomKn1ght said:

I already recreated some tunes and here is the percentage of completion:
Sparse60(stagingarea): 50 % (this one is not that hard but rather long)
Sparse71(endgame): 99 %
Sparse72(intermission): 99 %
Sparse73(intro): 99%
Sparse74(mainmenu): 99%

planed:
Sparse5d(darkcitadel): 0 %
Sparse67(watchyourstep) : 0 %

But I can't do It all by myself because It's really tiedous and time consuming (if you want to be accurate) as I am am busy in real life. So we will have to share the task. I would be motivated to do 'darkcitadel' and 'watchyourstep' but not really more knowing there may be a faster way to do it.You can take any piece of music besides those mentioned above.If you already did and yours are better than mine ok.

I was gonna try and do the intermission as a test tonite, seemed like it would be one of the easier ones to do, but looks like im beaten to it.. Anyone else working on it? Id like to try one at least that someone else hasnt claimed, if i fail then i can pass it on...

ill try out the terraformer then, somehow i dont think anyone will be jumping at that one.. I'll see what i can manage tonite..

Does anyone know how accurate the length of the doom depot tracks are? Im using them to go by, dont wanna do more the neccesary...

Alright, enough for tonight, the girlfriend keeps bitchin! So hows this all working? should i be converting to mp3? ive only got maybe 30 seconds tracked, and its 1.5mb! though that probly is most of the samples, and the tracking wont take up much space on top.. I am a bit sloppy, and have one sample in there twice, so that i could change the transpose key, i can probly go back and fix that, but i couldnt get a key low enough from the original..

Anyway, whether anyone cares or not, i posted a demo of the terraformer, the mix is off, no panning and only basic volume adjustments, but this is basically what i can do.. Should i keep going? :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/400595208/Terraformer_demo.it.html

ShaneAmp said:

I was gonna try and do the intermission as a test tonite, seemed like it would be one of the easier ones to do

That's what I thought too but it was a bit trickier and the riff sample doesn't sound right as I explained above.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y0mgohgijim

Tracks are louder to be audible in zdoom.

ShaneAmp said:

Anyone else working on it?

I have seen that Meanie50 and Everett1911 were interested.

ShaneAmp said:

Does anyone know how accurate the length of the doom depot tracks are? Im using them to go by, dont wanna do more the neccesary...

They are quite accurate but I use USFs to check. And mp3 compression...

ShaneAmp said:

Anyway, whether anyone cares or not, i posted a demo of the terraformer, the mix is off, no panning and only basic volume adjustments, but this is basically what i can do.. Should i keep going? :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/4005952...er_demo.it.html

That's quite good.Perhaps you should make some improvement if you want to be more accurate. But there will be no real audible difference unless we pay attention.

What tracker do you use? I checked, and i can only load in wav files. Im using modplug, if theres any better free ones let me know, its the only one ive ever used.. The USF's are a good idea, i'll get those. With the wav files i found it good to load it in as a seperate track, and then either mute the intruments, and play the original, and watch to see if they appear in the right spots, then play them together to try and hear differences.. I wish there was real time pause though, doing it that way is ok for the start, but having to play back from the begining everytime to hear if its right wont work for an 8 minute track..

Oh and i cant get your 7z archive to extract, the files come out 0kb in size, but are named..

Oh ya, if anyone has claimed the terraformer, and has started it, let me know, i can always switch over..

ShaneAmp said:

What tracker do you use? I checked, and i can only load in wav files. Im using modplug, if theres any better free ones let me know, its the only one ive ever used.. The USF's are a good idea, i'll get those. With the wav files i found it good to load it in as a seperate track, and then either mute the intruments, and play the original, and watch to see if they appear in the right spots, then play them together to try and hear differences.. I wish there was real time pause though, doing it that way is ok for the start, but having to play back from the begining everytime to hear if its right wont work for an 8 minute track..

Oh and i cant get your 7z archive to extract, the files come out 0kb in size, but are named..

I don't know a better tracker than modplug since it is the best for making (.it) module, (.it) use more CPU ressources but I am not sure it is possible to recreate all the tracks with (mod,s3m,xm). Madtracker (mt2) use more CPU and there is no real benefit over (it)

I noticed that 7zip was set to lzma2 compression type so you will need
latest 7zip or anything that support lzma2. I may reupload it if you still can't extract it.

i will check for a newer version, i installed this not much more then a month ago though.. Why dont you think they can all be done with .it? are their some effects used that arent possible? Based on playing around with the intruments it seems that all at different speeds make up most of the tunes.. You were saying the riff in the main theme doesnt work properly though, i'll see what you mean when i hear it.

You were right, needed the newest one..

i know what you mean now about the riffs, the sampling is different, that can probly be fixed, unfortunately moreso by downsampling the higher ones... Ive noticed that some of the samples cut and start at certain points, i noticed that when doing the terraformer to, isnt there a way to set fades and start points? I havnt looked into this yet, at this point only lined up samples properly..

Good work so far though, even with minor audible differences id be fine with these, and im quite the perfectionist..

I already tried to downsample or upsample the riffs in fact I tried all I can in order to make it sound right but that was useless. I compared with USF and it was simply badly ripped. I dunno how Kaiser ripped those. I was waiting for him to reripped it.

There is options in instrument tab to set fade and volume curve and the offset parameter to set diferent starting point.

Ok, this is badly done, both tracking and editing was a quick edit, but i think this could work if all else fails, with a few more tweaks! What i tried was chopping up the PSX version into the appropriate parts, well, it could be chopped up more, but this way could work better for a more fluent transition between samples, and good thing about this way is u can leave a little extra at the end so each sample doesnt stop before starting the next, helping with any gapping..

http://rapidshare.com/files/400807059/SPARSE71_01psx.it.html

i know it wont be 100% the same, but probly better then differnt sampling rates, and could even sound better then the original if done properly! See what you think..

Taking the psx one is not a bad idea but they sound differently the psx one is higher quality.

There are several reasons for the gap issue:

1.Samples are badly ripped
2.the pitch & sampling
3.the it tempo is hard to match the original tempo accurately
4.There are differences between mod player and differences of settings between players.

That why I wait until Kaiser rerip the samples or maybe doing it myself.
I will try to know if AIFC used in DooM64 is the same as the jaguar
or 3DO DooM.

there are differences, but it does kinda solve the gapping issue.. you sure its a problem with ripping? i had the same problem ripping snes sounds, some were sampled differently, i just fixed them up or recorded them from an emulator with no music.. Did u listen to it? the tempo and various minor differences will be there, but hey, higher quality track over differently sampled intruments is only a bonus really! Since these tracks are more a music and stand out compared to the ambient tracks, it wont really matter if they seem of higher quality, they already sound so different anyways.. Just thought id give it a try, itll be bigger in size i think, but i think it would work..

I didn't say that using the version and choping it was a bad idea.
I will wait for Kaiser opinion before getting further.

Aaah! Samples can't be ripped directly from the rom because the compression method is unknown yet. well nevermind.

well if you decide to go with the PSX option, if you want, you can do it, since you already worked on those ones, i wanted to try it and see.. but if you dont own the cd, i can rip you wav files, if higher quality is neccesary..